The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my time with the Exige ended today. I have mixed feelings.

I woke up early and drove 3 hours to trade it in on a more practical car. Child #2 is arriving next month. My time for a 2 seater is very limited. But honestly, it was time to move on anway.

Here's a photo chronicle of the day ... from my son saying goodbye to it in Baltimore -- to trading it in in Richmond -- to picking up the new car (which I love!)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More farewell photos ... for the scrapbook.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To Richmond, VA -- after a very cramped and buzzy ride down I-95, I was more than ready to move on.

I said my goodbyes, gave it a last pat goodbye, and then met my new ride ... one with a back seat. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new guy is a Certified '06 997 Carrera S.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rYpz2iOOE-4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rYpz2iOOE-4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Attachments

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far so good. I'm pleased. :clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Well, it seems that the new ride is not a total bummer... :D

Someday your son will be posting those pics, and saying "my Dad used to have a cool Lotus; here's me in the driver's seat"... :cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
hahahhaa... i don't call those things backseats in the back of your new car. Nice new car though!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice 911!

Still, I have to point out that the paint on the front bumper doesn't seem to match the other panels, although that may be just the photos or my monitor. :shrug:

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
They're seats....I spent a lot of time in the back of Porsche 356's from when I was about 3 until I was 14 and my dad's last one was stolen. If you're like me, you'll be very pleased with the change of cars.....but still miss the Lotus.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Looked like a great ride, the Red was a nice color. I find the Porsche a bit of an altered VW Bug, but it still looks great, and the extra "seats" in the back should be good.

Have fun :clap:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Nice choice... I have seen that car a number of times and it looks great! I live only a few minutes away from Euroclassics.

I will have to disagree with your rationalization regarding not having a two seater anymore! :thwack: I have 7 children and a Lotus (plus two other two seater convertibles)! Gives me quality one-on-one time with each of them. :)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They're seats....I spent a lot of time in the back of Porsche 356's from when I was about 3 until I was 14 and my dad's last one was stolen. If you're like me, you'll be very pleased with the change of cars.....but still miss the Lotus.
Seats or not, I'll be able to put two young kids in the car with me and my wife. I can actually do fun stuff without having to abandon the entire family.

Also, the front passenger seat has an airbag shutoff switch. I plan to go play with my 2 year old OFTEN when the infant arrives. I'll need to get out of the house & I'll need to let my wife rest when the baby rests.

I'm not going to crap on the Lotus. It was a great car & a ton of fun. I think everyone can acknowledge it's limitations though & most will understand that it really shines on the track. If that's not your bag anymore, the Lotus sort of stops making sense.

I'll miss a lot of things about it. When I filled up the tank this morning, someone asked to take a picture of it & told me "That car is totally sick, man". And on I-95 I had some people riding next to me taking pictures with their cell phone.

I'd love to have both, but that's not possible. So I'll take the one that better fits my stage in life right now. Nevertheless, I'm not going to throw away my Lotus gear. You never know what the future holds. :shift:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Just noticed your sig change...anyway, I'd miss a car as amazing as that too, but at least you're happy about the Porsche, it still is a good car (My opinion of a squashed-VW Bug regardless). I'm sure the 911 Carrera S is a decent Track Car at least, not that I know much but still...You could just buy an SUV and get an Elise. rotfl

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your son's adorable btw. Not trying to be all stalkerish, he's just cute. :p
Thanks. We got lucky in that he takes after his mother.

I think he'll prefer the Porsche. More buttons for him to push and play with. :D

BTW - my wife wasn't really okay with him ever riding in the Lotus. The Porsche meets her safety standards.

And ... It is important to me to be able to share sports car (or whatever the 911 is) experiences with my son. When I was little, my father had a White over black 911T. I loved riding in the back. Great memories of PCA events with my Dad. :)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought you would have gone with Cayman S with the midengine layout...?
As appealing as that car is, it didn't resolve my need for extra "seats" for kids. So I ruled that out .. along with the Z4 M Coupe.

The only other genuine option was keepind the Exige and adding an older 944 or 911. I decided against an "older" car and my wife also wanted to get down to 3 cars total so that our place could stop looking like a used car lot.

I do like the Cayman S though. :up:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts