The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but couldn't find anything. At colder temps my doors won't close. Sometimes its one door, sometimes both. Seems like the latch isn't catching on the door bolt. I have to lock the doors to stop them from swinging open.

Tried cleaning and lubricating with graphite but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I have this issue with my rear deck lid...latch doesn't catch well unless I really force it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
the door striker post thats mounted to the rear jam comes louse and moves. carl

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have this issue with my rear deck lid...latch doesn't catch well unless I really force it.
This just started happening 2 me too! I used 2 just drop it from a low height but now it never closes so I have to push it down pretty hard. Haven't looked into fixing it since it's only started happening.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My car does the same thing when it's cold, it works fine when I take it out of the garage but a few hours later and the passenger door won't say closed. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Take hold of the latch post on the door jamb and make sure it's screwed in tight to the frame. Should fix it.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
My passenger door does not latch without some difficulty in the cold as well. Driver's side is fine. The door initially bounces back when shutting but with further attempts to close the door it will latch. The post is tight and the door alignment is fine as well, both with the body and with the post. The door latch mechanism does not seem to be functioning properly. When warm it closes fine.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My door actually popped open once last year as I was going around a corner and hit a small bump! :eek:

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
mine happened once when it was really cold too. It seems like the grease in the door catch mechanism hardens and prevents one of the C-shaped part to pivot back into position. I had to manually move it back with my fingers.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried everyone's suggested solutions but no luck. Had both door latch mechanisms replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I has this happen when it was very cold (well below freezing). I foung the lock buttons on the doors (the ones you push in to get into the car) were sticking in and keeping the locks in the open position. I will probably have to lube them with an oil that works better at low temps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My passenger door does not latch without some difficulty in the cold as well. Driver's side is fine. The door initially bounces back when shutting but with further attempts to close the door it will latch. The post is tight and the door alignment is fine as well, both with the body and with the post. The door latch mechanism does not seem to be functioning properly. When warm it closes fine.
Suffering from this as well. Any idea as to the cause behind this? Are the metal components in the latch assembly shrinking in the cold? If so, are they replaceable / fixable? This has got to be the biggest PITA for a daily driver. 4 months out of the year my door's don't close! :(

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Tried shooting some better grease or graphite lube into the latch assembly?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The dealer replaced my door latch mechanisms (both sides) and no problems so far. We'll see when it gets colder. It might have something to do with the grease they use from lotus. It thickens up in the cold. Add more lubricant just makes things worse in my experience. Luckily the mechanisms were replaced under warranty.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts