The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
515 Posts
Fantastic resto/mod! Great that you've documented for all to see especially whoever ends up with the car down the road!

·
Registered
33 Posts
can you walk me though your thought process to go with the SA rather than Penske DA shocks? I'm trying to decide myself for a mostly street car. I've been leaning towards DA.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
can you walk me though your thought process to go with the SA rather than Penske DA shocks? I'm trying to decide myself for a mostly street car. I've been leaning towards DA.
I had Nitron triple adjustable shocks on my track Exige S. They were amazing shocks that took me an entire track season of adjustments (and documentation) to dial them in for my car and the various tracks I was on. In other words, almost infinite amount of adjustments that you really need to figure out to get the best performance out of them. Not exactly what you want for the street.

The rational on picking single adjustable over double adjustable was to give me some ability to fine tune the suspension on my car for my style of driving and the roads I drive. But I didn’t want to over complicate it by adding another adjustment with double adjustable. Do the math, each shock would have 40 settings for compression and 30 for rebound as well as spring pre-load. And once you set it up for yourself what happens when you add a passenger? (Track guys don’t have to consider a passenger. We corner balance the car for driver only).

I’m not going to talk anyone out of buying the best shock they want. I’m just practical and know that I’m not going to try and adjust the shocks on my street car more than a couple of times after the initial setup.

One more thing, I emailed Fred @Blackwatch and talked to him about it as I wanted his perspective.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do the math, each shock would have 40 settings for compression and 30 for rebound as well as spring pre-load.
this is my concern. I'm a n00b with sus setup. I can see myself less happy with more control. While I was thinking DA was the way to go, I'm def re-considering as I can certainly see the downside of too much information given my ability level and use case.

Thanks for the nice write-up of your thought process.

·
Vendor
3,166 Posts
Beautiful build! Enjoy those Singles. Sad to say, once you put them on you'll be saying "what the car needs now is more power....." :)

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Beautiful build! Enjoy those Singles. Sad to say, once you put them on you'll be saying "what the car needs now is more power....." :)
Fred, you must be inside my head. I keep thinking about a supercharger but I promised myself that I’d drive the Elise for a year before making a hard decision. Luckily I’ve been driving “classic“ Lotus twin cam cars for several years and have gotten used to 150HP. And I find (on a road car) with the proper suspension set up you can have some pretty exhilarating drives on back country roads without huge amounts of HP. At least that’s what I keep telling myself.......

Thanks again for the Penske SA shocks. They are works of art!

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Speaking of back road drives, here is a short video of my Elise. Left turn out of my driveway......

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Rainy day in Princeton, great time to install Penske shocks. Especially because my oldest son and his girlfriend wanted to hang out in the garage and help. The entire removal of OEM shocks and replacement of new shocks took about 2 hours. Raining too much to go for a test drive, might have to wait a few days.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The rain stopped and the roads dried out fairly quickly. Time for a test drive. The first thing you notice with the Penske’s is very little body roll in corners. Much smoother rebound over small bumps. Car still “crashes” over larger bumps (which I expected but want others to know this doesn’t go away with more expensive shocks). Ride is firm but not overly so. Glad I selected the 350f/500r springs for road use. Need to adjust the front rake just a bit more and play with the rebound a little, but overall a superior upgrade to OEM shocks. One word of advice. I’m a past track rat. I know what to look for (feel) in suspension changes. I think some people will feel there isn’t a lot of difference from OEM for the amount of money spent. The changes are very subtle but enhanced and responsive to the movement and steering input of the car. If you don’t appreciate that just buy cheaper non-adjustable street series shocks.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts