The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this winter I've done a few cosmetic mods, let me know what you guys think!

Taillights smoked black - it was more work than it should have been. After cleaning and applying the black shade, it started crackling - same with the clear coat. I had to wet sand and buff everything out and they ended up turning out okay. I can do a write up on how to do all of this properly if somebody is interested in smoking theirs black.

Blacked out the reflectors/3rd brake light - Got some stickers from Stickercity.com and applied them over my rear grill reflectors and 3rd brake light on top of my rear window. I suggest smoking the reflectors on the grill because they have letters on them that the sticker doesn't fit over exactly properly... and it looks like bubbles up close.

Carbon Fiber'd my gas tank lid - Got a great little sticker from Chufforia Graffix (sweetdaddyd) and it matches well with my other blacked out parts.

Powdercoated my rims - Powdercoated my rims gloss black, got all 4 done for $160 and they look great. I also painted my brake calipers black.

Painted my binnacle and rear cup holder - I painted my binnacle and rear cup holder gloss black and it looks great. I didn't want to go through teh trouble of color matching or getting chrome orange so I just did black since it matches everything. I haven't done the center console yet because I'm getting orange leather from lotus UK for that.

The only mods left I plan on doing are: Powdercoating the diffuser black and using orange door edge guard on the edges. I'm also getting black lotus rear lettering.

·
Registered
361 Posts
not to nit-pick but the binnacle is located above your gauge cluster.

Everything looks really good, and thats one hell of a deal for the rims.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The only mods left I plan on doing are: Powdercoating the diffuser black and using orange door edge guard on the edges. I'm also getting black lotus rear lettering.
I have some black raised lettering from a vendor from here - they used to be listed anyways -

I didn't care for the quality at $30, but you may like them.

You can have them for shipping. Probably like $3-5

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Mods look great!

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,116 Posts
I powdercoated my LSS wheels satin black.
The gloss seemed to shiny...get those covered in brake dust asap.

Lotus looking lovely...robert

·
Registered
821 Posts
tail lights look incredibly unsafe...:shrug:

I like the look, just not the function.

other mods look good too.

Should look into getting the fuel cap powdercoated black as well.. that'd be cool IMO

since your smoking your lights, might do the side indicators as well.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Actually my favorite part was something you did not mention, your tinted glass. Of course here in Chicago land the cops might shoot and ask questions later with that much tint if you go through the wrong area. There was a big debate last summer about smoked tail lights. They look cool but these little cars need the extra help in the "I am stopping so please don't run me over category". Have you thought about going black with the rear diffusor? That is one of my favorite exterior mods on these cars and looks great with CO.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually my favorite part was something you did not mention, your tinted glass. Of course here in Chicago land the cops might shoot and ask questions later with that much tint if you go through the wrong area. There was a big debate last summer about smoked tail lights. They look cool but these little cars need the extra help in the "I am stopping so please don't run me over category". Have you thought about going black with the rear diffusor? That is one of my favorite exterior mods on these cars and looks great with CO.
Chuck, I love your work - I've seen what you do with the interior pieces.

I have the same amount of black shading on my daily driver and the lights shine through great. We tested the brake lights on the Lotus as well and they shine through great. Never been stopped here in MT for my taillights. I've also been running around with a euro-plate on front and I've never been stopped.

As for the rear diffuser, yes, it's my next mod. I'm on the hunt for some Orange door edge guard for the edges of the diffuser - since when you powdercoat the rubbery things have to come off the edge of the diffuser. It would look good replacing the silver guard the stock diffuser has on it now. I just can't find any orange door edge guard. But I'll do it flat black and get black edge guard if I have to.

I did forget to mention the window tint! It's the darkest I can legally get it here in MT. I like it. How is Glen Ellyn? I used to live in Oswego/Downers Grove. God I miss Portillos. Send me some italian beef Chuck. ;) I miss the lambo dealer too... went there when I was 12 when it was in St. Charles and sat in a diablo.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ditto on the tinted windows... Japanese law says we can have 70% on the front windows, but the military says no tint is authorized... :(

Federal cars get an awesome alloy fuel cap. Why ruin it?
EU version looks better.. :D This is an old pic as I have the black anodized surround sold by eliseparts on the car now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you paint your engine covers qu1Z, I can't quite see in...? I did mine over the weekend and am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I meant to ask you, do you think you'll have any issues with the fuzz because you painted your tail lights? I did this to my Lancia back in Europe and it didn't go down so well...are there any laws saying you can't do this? Guess it's probably State based as well...doing this in CA would probably be a nono...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts