The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so this is my fix everything and do a few mods in one week! I bought the car a month ago with very low mileage so I figured all the previous owner did was oil changes. So I ordered a crap ton of stuff to bring the car up to date on everything. Here is the list I made of stuff I needed to do:

1. Oil cooler lines (not needed, recalled)
2. Transmission flush (done)
3. Hid's / Aim headlights (done)
4. Clutch stop (done)
5. 3rd brake light flasher (done)
6. Tighten all suspension bolts (done)
7. Remove snorkel (decided against)
8. Extend alarm antenna (done)
9. Protect coolant u-tube (done)
10. Led tag light bulbs (done and SOOO much better)
11. Check fuel feed line for wear (done)
12. Remove a/c recirc flaps (done)
13. Replace spark plugs (done)
14. Fix center vent rattle (stopped rattling by itself)
15. Replace dash speakers (done)
16. Lube Ignition cylinder (done)
17. Brake flush (done)
18. Clutch fluid flush (done)
19. Check intake cam (done)
20. Rebuild seats (driver side done)
21. Oil change (doesn't need yet)
22. Inspect toe links (done)
23. Larini SE exhaust (done)
24. Air filter (done)

So, i'll go down the list one by one.

3.Bought DDM hid kit and installed. Very straight forward and easy to do. Although getting the connectors through the oem grommet was a little bit of a pain. I also took this time to align the headlights as it seemed they were pointing straight down and I couldn't see crap at night. MUCH better now.

HID vs halogen

Here is pic just in case anyone wanted to know where I mounted my ballast.

4.Clutch stop. Bought the "door stopper" at home depot and installed it. I accidently kicked it off with my left foot the 2nd day, so I drilled a really small hole all the way through the stopper and stuck it back on and zip tied it down as well so it won't fall off again. I took the pic before I put the zip tie on it. Actually does make shifting alot better. Great cheap mod.

5.Bought the $35 3rd brake light flasher that was linked off of this forum. Very easy to install and is extra protection from getting rear ended for people not paying attention behind you. It flashes 3 times before going solid.

6. Tighten suspension bolts. This was part of todays 8 hour diy day. I pulled all the wheels off so I could inspect all the suspension bolts. I was mainly checking the 2 front strut mount bolts that can be loose and cause a clank felt through the steering wheel. But I also checked pretty much every suspension bolts.

Before removing the strut

After removing the strut and circled are the 2 bolts that can come loose

All 4 of mine were tight. As well as pretty much all of the suspension bolts. Nothing has come loose yet.

Just for an FYI here is where I put the jack stands since alot of people ask.

(Not sure why I used pucks on the rear, but I did)

7. Remove snorkel, decided against this. I may do it later when I relocate the oil cooler.

Here is a picture of the snorkel anyway.

9. While under the engine I needed to check the U-tube and found that mine was pretty close to being worn through.

So I cut some fuel hose I had and protected it and re-zip tied it.

10. One of the BEST cheap mods I've done. LED tag light bulbs. It updates the rear of the car drastically at night. They were a couple of bucks and I ordered them with my HID's.

This picture doesn't do it justice because its an iphone picture.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
11. No pictures. But the car seems to have the updated fuel line.

13. Replaced the spark plugs. Took maybe 10 minutes at most.

17. Brake flush. I didn't know if this had ever been done so I decided I was gonna do it anyway. Well when I pulled the access cover off, wow, the fluid was nasty looking.

My pressure bleeder:

This brake fluid was NASTY.

18.I figured while the pressure bleeder was attached I'd do the clutch fluid as well.

19.Checking the intake cam has worried me since I got the car and have read all the horror stories so I wasn't looking forward to seeing what was waiting for me under the valve cover. Well seems all is ok, no scores or anything on the intake cam.

The score on the low lobe on this cylinder scared me, but it was completely smooth.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
20.My lower back has been killing me seeing how I'm driving this car so much. The only part about the seat that I hate is at your very lower back where it feels like the seat is bare metal. Well, I got a hold of a seat cushion and I came up with the idea to use the foam to rebuild my seat. Here is what I started with:

I started trimming it down with a razor:

I got it down to smaller pieces that be just about thin enough to fit in the elise seat.

Started to pull the seat apart. I used a plastic bondo spreader to help the foam come off of the seat which kept from making a mess.

After I moved the bladder for the lumbar and trimmed the new cushions down more here is what I ended up with:

I glued it and here is what I ended up with:

It sticks out just a little bit more than stock, but looks fine to me and is a crap ton more comfortable. This will do until I get the seats professionally redone.

22.Toe links. Checked them while doing the suspension check. The passenger side was only finger tight! So I tightened 'em both down. I circled the nut you need to check on both sides of the rear of the car.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
23. Larini SE exhaust. I knew this was the exhaust I wanted 3 years before I bought an elise. I just absolutely love the look. I didn't take any pics of the install, just after shots. I did take a vid of what the elise sounds like with no muffler if anyone wants to see it lol.

So, I got all the exhaust and grills used, and it had a melted reflector, hence the missing reflectors. Well I bought identical reflectors from oreillys and built a little heat shield for the reflectors.

I got some velcro and stuck 2 pieces of the soft side on the reflector. Then I put a washer between the velcro and the grill hoping it will dissipate the heat.

24.Air filter. This was unexpected, I checked it when I was checking out the snorkel and the filter looked like the original because it was so dirty. I didn't order one of these because I didn't know I needed it. Luckily oreilly's had one in stock, I had to have my friend pick it up while I continued working on the car.

My passenger side tie rod boot was all kinds of kinked and twisted. Makes me think someone did an alignment and adjusted the toe and didn't twist the boot back in the original spot. After the pic I got it as close as I could.

I noticed some wire loom coming out of the frame on my passenger side that was empty. It went in the frame and stopped went through a forward hole in the center of the car. Any ideas what it is?

I looked under my passenger side access cover to discover this:

I don't think a c-clamp comes stock from the factory! lol

Last but not least. One of my absolute best purchases right before I bought this car:

It makes the diffusor and access panel easy work. This thing is amazing. I've used it for the past 2 weeks without charging. Plus it came with a crazy bright led worklight which I didn't take a pic of. I do love the 3 leds on the front of the impact that you can see in the pic. I used this thing for EVERYTHING.

Well I hope you enjoyed the read. I will probably update this thread when I do the trans fluid change. Feel free to ask if you have any questions!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Hmmm. Very impressive but I revised your list.
Just a suggestion.

1. Pay attention to NEW wife
2. Oil cooler lines (on hold)
3. Transmission flush (waiting for mt90 to arrive)
4. Hid's / Aim headlights (done)
5. Clutch stop (done)
6. 3rd brake light flasher (done)
7. Tighten all suspension bolts (done)
8. Remove snorkel (decided against)
9. Extend alarm antenna (will do tomorrow)
10. Protect coolant u-tube (done)
11. Led tag light bulbs (done and SOOO much better)
12. Check fuel feed line for wear (done)
13. Remove a/c recirc flaps
14. Replace spark plugs (done)
15. Fix center vent rattle (stopped rattling by itself)
16. Replace dash speakers (waiting on speakers to get here)
17. Lube Ignition cylinder (done)
18. Brake flush (done)
19. Clutch fluid flush (done)
20. Check intake cam (done)
21. Rebuild seats (driver side done)
22. Oil change (doesn't need yet)
23. Inspect toe links (done)
24. Larini SE exhaust (done)
25. Air filter (done)
26. See step 1

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just a suggestion.

5. Clutch stop (done)
18. Brake flush (done)
25. Air filter (done)
26. See step 1
Not gonna lie, I laughed.

She was actually having an art day with a friend today painting. Then she came home and read some book that she is currently addicted to. She actually came out and helped install the exhaust. I'm a lucky man :nanner:

Thanks to my wife for putting up with all of this :) lol

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well done! Lots of those things are on my to do list.
Kinda like your thread, fix everything at once except I'm not rebuilding the motor.

Nice Job. You should take out the wife tonight :D
Maybe so!

Why does installing a clutch stop makes shifting better ?
I was skeptical as first even though everyone on here had talked about how great it was. The pedal travel on the clutch in the Elise is way longer than it needs to be. The last about 1/2 of the pedal travel is unnecessary as the clutch is already disengaged with the first 1/2 of the pedal travel. The stopper eliminates some of that extra travel which in turn means it takes shorter time to depress the clutch pedal. Shorter time to depress clutch pedal=quicker shifts. Not to mention it just feels better with the pedal travel being shorter.

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
Good job... looks like the previous owner kind of neglected the car :mad:

The hose (what you called wire loom) coming out in the front looks like a water drain tube.

I'm very interested in what you do with the oil coolers since I'm planning something similar.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm very interested in what you do with the oil coolers since I'm planning something similar.
You may have seen what I'm going to do in the other oil thread but:
Im first going to install oil pressure and temp gauges, get some readings with the stock coolers up front, then disconnect the coolers and delete the sandwich plate and take more readings. Then i'm going to decide from there what I'm going to do, possibly keep one cooler and relocate it to the rear. We shall see soon. Should have the gauges in the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
First of all that was a great write-up and pictures, must have taken you some time doing the post. I do like the concept of the third brake (CHMSL) flashing light but are they legal?

I would like to retro fit my 2001 Esprit with one; do you know if there's one available for that model and if so where I could get one? Thanks.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Numerous cops have seen it. I think they know what its for. I've seen quite a few motorcycles with it as well, little bit different but still flashing brake light.

I got it from: Sequential Turn Signals, One Touch Turn Signals, Challenger Sequential Taillights, Sequential Tail Lights, Mustang, Dynamite Stick Sequential, Pulsing Brake Light Pulser Flasher, Raxiom, Amrerican Muscle, Stack Racing, One Touch, Blink Blink, Corvett

Under brake light pulser, then at the very bottom there is a universal one. $35 and took maybe 10 minutes at most to install.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks for the quick response, I just ordered one.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have a guess on the mystery "wire loom" pic. I think that is actually a drainage hose for water that collects in the bottom of the chassis right there. I could be wrong, but I think thats what it's for.

If you ever take off the front clam you will probably not a whole host of things to clean up and straighten up. It takes a while the first time, but no more than 2.5hours, and you get some great access to get things done. I'd also recommend radiums modular rear clam kit as well.

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Just a suggestion.

5. Clutch stop (done)
18. Brake flush (done)
25. Air filter (done)
26. See step 1
But what did you do after lunch? Great job and very ambitious!

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a guess on the mystery "wire loom" pic. I think that is actually a drainage hose for water that collects in the bottom of the chassis right there. I could be wrong, but I think thats what it's for.

If you ever take off the front clam you will probably not a whole host of things to clean up and straighten up. It takes a while the first time, but no more than 2.5hours, and you get some great access to get things done. I'd also recommend radiums modular rear clam kit as well.
I looked at the radium kit, but I honestly don't think I'll have the rear clam off enough to need it. How often does everyone really take the rear clam off?

But what did you do after lunch? Great job and very ambitious!
After lunch?

·
Wow Such Admin
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I added to my DIY weekend today with 4 hours at work installing tie rods and control arms on my Bmw as well as did an alignment. Been a productive weekend!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts