The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow that sounds awesome Dave. That’s a deal. I have some family near you that would probably be alright with some short term storage solutions...they might even put me up for a night or two if I buy dinner ?
I’m beyond pumped. Thanks again

·
Registered
282 Posts
My experience with my cross-country road trips on the issues raised by Dave T. are as follows:

1. Most auto insurance policies in the US cover the policyholder for 30 days after purchase of another vehicle, and this is w/o an advance notice requirement.

2. When purchasing a vehicle away from your home state, my experience is that if purchased from a dealer, they will put a temporary plate on it. For an individual, simply have them sign the title over to you and register it with your local department of motor vehicles. This, by the way, is where you will pay sales tax unless you live in a state w no sales tax (lucky bugger!).

3. Line up a few service/repair centers along your route home, and try to find some owners (via Lotus Chat) along that route. OP has already started w/ this.

4. Research LotusChat posts for problems common with your model. Having said that, the only cross-country issue I've had w/ a new/old car was one window in a Europa wouldn't go down.

5. Bad weather? Lotuses are made in England where it rains all the time!

Have fun, and write up your adventure!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,649 Posts
Regarding this excellent advice:

Line up a few service/repair centers along your route home, and try to find some owners (via Lotus Chat) along that route.
Join the national Lotus Club, Lotus Ltd!

https://lotusltd.com/

The Traveler's Assistance Network can provide peace of mind.

Dave is a member (met him at LOG 37) so he probably has a listing that is at most, one revision old.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts