The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always dreamed of one day owning a Lamborghini. When I was a kid I wanted a Countach, then it was the Diablo, the Murcielago, and today perhaps a Gallardo.

Throw in a Ferrari here and there and a few others and I would drool.

Now I've never driven one of these dream machines.

However, I love my Exige so much and to me it has it all. It would be difficult (even if I could afford one) to fork out another 200k to 400k for one of these babies.

I don't think I would be 200k - 400k more excited about one. I see them today with their padded leather interiors, fancy stereos, and beautiful trimmings and think, "wow...it looks cool, but so what, that stuff just slows the car down and makes it heavier".

The Exige definitely looks wild like these other cars and is built with a practical purpose, which I love.

Now, I would love to hear the roar of 12 cylinders!!!

What am I missing that has caused the Lotus to almost kill my lust for one of these babies. I am not into curb appeal so why should I want a supercar?
:eek:

·
Registered
688 Posts
I totally agree! I have no desire for any other car anymore. I know I will not get the same experience in any car no matter how much it costs. I no longer desire a Ferrari or Porsche or anything else made. My Exige is the most fun car to drive in the world. :sad:

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Thanks to my Lotus, I actually want less of a car. I now want an Atom :D

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
A 430 or Gallardo is out of my price range and I've never driven one so the mystique still has me dreaming.

But when go back to reality and look at every other car under $150,000, there's a lot of cars that fits my practical needs but nothing that even remotes sparks my interest. As matter of fact, I just can bring myself to pay even $200 a month for a stinking VW or Corolla -which is why I'd rather spend the money on motorcycles. So basically, Lotus ruin my desire for every car. Thanks a lot Lotus.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Our own Pchop prefers his Elise to his F430 that he sold because he did not like how it drove. He did say the F430 is awesome at the track.

I test drove a Gallardo and it's cool because you're thinking, "Hey, I'm driving a Lamborghini!" but the reality is that aside from the crammed cockpit that gives the illusion you're in a high-performance car, it definitely does not thrill more than an Elise or Exige :p

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I just need my Lotus and a heap to drive in the winter.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Great thread, I really agree with you all. Even in my Esprit, I'm never left wishing I was in anything else. And honestly, short of a McClaren F1, I can't think of any car I'd take over a Lotus, be it Elise, Exige, or Esprit.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Sorry can't agree with the posters above. The Diablo/Murcie to me is still the car to have, and it will be in my garage. The Lotus is totally different.

This thread reminds me of all the people that start threads on the miata forum, "The miata has spoiled the appeal of other cars to me" and they say "I don't need a Lotus, the miata does the same thing for 20K less."

Please! The people that can afford the 400K car will have that AND a Lotus and Miata or whatever in the garage. (I know I know, half of you will come and post "Yeah I can afford a Lambo, I choose not to.")

In the end, the Elise/Exige is what they are, drivers car, pure, yet affordable.

They aren't supercars or hypercars. They are glorified kit cars with a Japanese engine.

Perfect garage would be a SC Atom + Murcie LP. Bring it on.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Almost... but not quite. If I'm off for a blast on my favorite canyon road, it's the Lotus every time. If I'm driving for long periods on the freeway, on lots of rough pavement, or expecting to have a conversation with my passenger, and I still want supercar performance, I'll take the 993 Turbo.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You're not missing much. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING feels like a Lotus. The road feel, tight turn-in, and responsiveness just are not equalled by any of those big-dollar, big-weight cars that are always four deep at the Malibu Detailing shop... For your extra couple hundred grand you'll gain a couple of tenths in straight-line push, but you'll feel like you've been anesthetized from the waist down.

And around SoCal the F's, P's and L's are as common as a Prius. How's that for exclusive?

Come on out to the Village Coffee Roaster in Woodland Hills on a Sunday morning, and see four identical Gallardos (three yellow, one baby blue) parked next to two identical (yellow) Murcis, a row of red F430s next to a few 360s, and the usual half-dozen RepliCobras... never mind the dozen 911s that show up....

.... but you'll probably be the only guy in an Exige.

Last week I had the misfortune of driving past Moonshadows on PCH when the LamboClub/HairClub was having a get-together, and the ENTIRE parking lot and roadside parking areas were absolutely jammed with forty or more basically identical Gallardos and Murcis, grouped BY COLOR...

.... and I threw up in my mouth a little.

El-Wife-O said, "That is the lamest thing I've ever seen. Buy a Ford GT or some more Mopars if you want, but promise me you'll NEVER get one of those fruitmobiles." No prob, wifey, way ahead of you.

If I can drive around for a week without seeing a car just like mine, then I reckon that's a good thing.

Did you see Top Gear last night? Clarkson drove the v12 599 or some such, the one with "flappy paddle shifters" and all sorts of gee-whiz gadgetry (knobs on the CF steering wheel!) strapped to two tons of Italian alloy, and declared it not worth buying... and noted that all the launch controls and such were fine for impressing your subordinates at work, but useless for actual launching, as he achieved a harder launch by disabling all that and simply abusing the trans.

Although it bested the Ford GT's laptime by a few hundredths of a sec. (BFD), at quadruple the GT's price it looked like the new Hyundai Genesis coupe with a longer hood. Wifey walked past the TV and said, "What's that fat old thing?" and then laughed, pronounced it "Fugly" and walked on by after I told her it was the high-zoot F-car with the engine from an Enzo.

For men of "a certain age" who like a bit of performance with their hand-sewn upholstery made from the inner thighs of an ultra-rare species of Mongolian fruitbat, the F's and L's are just the ticket, but around here they are strictly for the Sunday morning latte and $300 detailing crowd. Pass.

You have chosen wisely, grasshopper. Enjoy!

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Cuda,

I lived in Canyon Country/Valencia for a while. Back then most of the residents were white hicks. Reading your response, not much has changed, though I get out there at least once every other week.

There are tons of Lotus cars you can see in LA. You see just as many in Village Coffee roadster. You can spew your garbage on here, thinking you are speaking to the world, and no one will know.

Many of us live here as well, and we can tell you differently. Every weekend you can see 8-10 Elise/Exige on Lattigo/Mulholland and on PCH.

Plenty of Lotus owners are Sunday morning Latte guys and 300$ detailing guys. I can name them off this forum, for your pleasure if you want to. However, the diff between the Lotus and Lambo guys are, that all the Lotus owners ACT like they are Track Drivers driving God's car.

I am glad you married that woman, because none of us surely want her.

For you to compare a Ford GT to a 599 says what kind of an auto enthusiast you are.

There are poseurs Lotus owners just like there are owners of Ferraris/Lambos who would rather polish than drive. If you go out to the track, you will see there are people who track their Lotus and Ferraris and Lambos as well. To make generalizations like you are making, is just plain silly.

Now it is time for me to make a generalization. Given that SCV has modernized so much over the years, time for your hick butt to move to Bakersfield with the rest of your "CUDA people."

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love this thread and I agree that the Lotus has ruined me for every other car, but I will say that the 430 was the best car I have ever had the pleasure of driving. I drove the Gallardo but I am not a fan of the E-gear. The Lotus makes you feel like you are a race car driver. Top off, windows down, stage 2 behind my head, harness on and carving the Tail of the Dragon, need I say more.
With that said the cars I would love to drive are the 430 Scuderia, Enzo, Carrera GT, F40, F50, Mclaren F1, GT3, Ariel Atom, and Saleen S7. I may be wrong but I think any one of those may make me forget about how much I love my Lotus.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got the pleasure of driving an F430 and i must say its brilliant, the noise is awesome, everything works in such harmony each other in a way thats pretty sureal. The way the engine responds to the slightest hint of throttle is amazing, the steering is awesome for PS setup. An all around fantastic car and I can see why they cost what they do.

Although I did think the Lotus handled better haha.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
it may not have 400hp... but its still a super car.

its REALLY hard to make any car handle as well as an elise

its REALLY easy to make an elise stupid fast

·
Registered
254 Posts
I totally agree! I have no desire for any other car anymore. I know I will not get the same experience in any car no matter how much it costs. I no longer desire a Ferrari or Porsche or anything else made. My Exige is the most fun car to drive in the world. :sad:
The only car I want replace my '06 Exige is a 240S! ;)

Arguing with my Porsche friends. It isn't how fast your car can go. It is how much fun I can have in my little car. Because, I am driving the car. Not the car drive it for me!

·
Registered
712 Posts
I love my Elise, so much so I drive it daily. I love cars, period. To me the beauty of cars is how different they are. No way in HELL my Elise has spoiled me from any other car. I can guarantee you that if I could afford a Lambo or Ferrari I would find A LOT to love about those cars too and I would definitely buy one. Will they feel like the Lotus? Probably not, but the Ferrari will feel and sound like a Ferrari which is what I would love about it. The only problem I have is that I am going to need a huge garage because I want a lot of different cars. A Lotus will be one of my little jewels sitting right next to my Ferrari, my 993 Turbo S, etc. :) I will get the same smile on my face when I fire up my Ferrari's V8 as I do my Lotus. The Lotus is not the Be All, End All of cars but it is one hell of a nice ride and I'm very glad that they made it so affordable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I find it very hard to believe that anyone in here with unlimited income would stop buying cars after buying a Lotus. If I had the money I'd try to one-up Jay Leno's collection. I'd start buying cars based on their engine sound (insert silly exhaust you-tube video here) and throw in some classic muscle cars and a few hundred motorcycles (a la Fabio) as well. In fact with enough $$$ I would simply design and build my own uber-car.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I find it very hard to believe that anyone in here with unlimited income would stop buying cars after buying a Lotus. If I had the money I'd try to one-up Jay Leno's collection. I'd start buying cars based on their engine sound (insert silly exhaust you-tube video here) and throw in some classic muscle cars and a few hundred motorcycles (a la Fabio) as well. In fact with enough $$$ I would simply design and build my own uber-car.
Exactly.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts