The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this problem has been haunting me for a while now. I used to get really car sick as a kid, but as an adult it had subsided for the most part. Generally I insist on driving (or at least riding in the front seat) which prevents me from feeling nauseous.

However, since purchasing the Exige, I now go on drives on twisty, curvy roads on purpose and participate in track days. Doing backroad drives are great, up until the point where I start getting nauseous. This happens even though I'm driving! Track days are torturous, because I want to do every session, but my stomach just won't let me. Near the end of each session, I start losing all sense of concentration, because I'm feeling really bad. I have to sit down for awhile afterward instead of doing other things I'd rather do (checking the car, socializing, watching other drivers on the track, etc).

I've tried Dramamine, but I can't afford the drowsiness factor. Any other suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Have you ever tried Sea Bands? They work by pressing on a pressure point on your wrists and I know a lot of people that swear by them. You just wear them so there are no side effects like motion sickness drugs. They are widely available at your local pharmacy and here is a link to a Walgreens ad: Wristband | Sea-Band | Walgreens

BTW they are from England so they should be a perfect match to your Lotus!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
The same thing used to happen to me during Skip Barber practice sessions... one time I had to dive into the pits, unstrap myself as fast as I could, take off my helmet and hurl over the pit wall.

It never happened during a race... or when I'm driving the Lotus...

I came to the conclusion that it was a combination of extremely high metabolic rate combined with dehydration/low caloric intake... I simply ran out of "fuel", and became sick...

·
Registered
205 Posts
go to your local hippy-dippy healthfood store.
in the supplements aisle there is a dedicated natural remedy motion sickness pill made partly out of ginger and some other roots. naturally non-drowsy.

it works. as a passenger, frostylocks gets car sick. she takes these and she's just fine. she highly recommends them.

the motion bands do seem to work. i used to use them fishing 8 miles offshore in a 21 foot boat at night. follow their directions carefully so the button on the band presses into the proper point.

hope this helps you. don't give up. try these cheap remedies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a big advocate and student of homeopathy. I have a SO that has inner ear problems and is always in trouble with this. Being a health care provider, her preferred method is a scopolamine patch, but it's not recommended if your the driver/pilot of the vehicle.

There is a rememdy that has no side effects and works very effectively for acute car sickness. Go to a2zhomepathy.com and click on the Homeopathic Remedies Tab. Select the remedy COCCULUS INDICUS in a 2 Dram vial and potency of 30c. As soon as you start to feel it coming on, drop one pilule in a half glass/bottle of water and vigorously stir/shake for 30 seconds to activate. Take a sip every 10 minutes until it subsides...then space the small sips out to half hour and hour etc. Make fresh every couple days.

Best of luck!

Disclaimer: *Because of a common confusion between homeopathy and medicine, please be advised the above information is for educational purposes only. If you want medically oriented information specific to your situation consult with your health care practitioner. This refers only to homeopathic remedies prepared in the Hahnemannian way, according to the Organon by Samuel Hahnemann, the founder of homeopathy.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the ideas so far, I've definitely got to find a solution that works for me. I'll probably try the ginger route. My kids have used the Sea Bands, but I figured it was just a placebo effect.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Talk to your family practice doc and ask for a scoplomine patch. Its what they give people for cruise ships and for people that get vertigo diving. I use one when I do the marathon night at the Go Cart track lol. First time I threw up after 15 mins. Now I can finish the entire 1 hour on the track.

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts
the wrist bands work.

but, how warped is your windshield?

btw, it's nauseated, not nauseous. the latter means something that makes ppl sick.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I helped design the wrist bands that are electronic (Reliefband). They work and they work well.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...candied ginger, problem solved...

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
but, how warped is your windshield?
btw, it's nauseated, not nauseous. the latter means something that makes ppl sick.
Not sure what you mean about the windshield, but I appreciate the terminology correction. :)
I helped design the wrist bands that are electronic (Reliefband). They work and they work well.
Never heard of Reliefband, I'll have to look into them.

...candied ginger, problem solved...
Either that or I was thinking ginger gum, but I'm not sure if there's enough ginger in it to be effective.

Is it unusual for drivers who are experiencing higher g-loads than normal to get nauseated? Or is it something about how I'm driving, like not keeping my eyes up enough?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Is it unusual for drivers who are experiencing higher g-loads than normal to get nauseated? Or is it something about how I'm driving, like not keeping my eyes up enough?
I think one of the factors is comfort... I was never really comfortable belted in tightly to the Formula Dodge cars in the Skip Barber Series... I felt it contorted my spine in an unnatural way, and I probably unconsciously fought it... using up a lot of muscle energy and not helping with my concentration.

On the other hand, even belted in very tightly in the Lotus, I've fallen asleep waiting on the grid for my Time Trial start, on more than one occasion...

·
Registered
275 Posts
ginger pills are the best... I tried the candied ginger and didn't like it too much

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Thanks for the ideas so far, I've definitely got to find a solution that works for me. I'll probably try the ginger route. My kids have used the Sea Bands, but I figured it was just a placebo effect.
We use large doses of ginger with the wrist bands on our chemotherapy patients that don't want to take traditional drugs and have had very good results. The key to using both of these is to start early, well before the activity that makes you nauseated and for the wrist bands, careful placement. I personally have used ginger for scuba diving trips and have had very good results (I tend to throw up at depth in surge conditions--generally not a good thing to do underwater) so I'm sure trying one or both of these will work for you.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts