The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go into this fast food joint the other day: “Cheeseburger and fries please”

The counter guy says “be right up.” There’s about 7-8 other people waiting.

5 minutes goes by. Then 10. Then 15.

I say to the guy, “Hey, what’s up with my order?” He looks at me blankly, says nothing.

Meanwhile, I see this group in the back, some guy Randy leading the discussion. He seems to know what he’s talking about. After listening for a while, I learn from the group that one of the grills has a problem. More people crowd into the waiting area, give their orders, and wait with the rest of us.

Lots or rumors flying around as to what’s up with lunch, some valid, some pure bs. Have to sift through them to decide whether to go next door, where the food is not as good, or continue waiting here. The Counter guys say nothing, the cooks apparently won't talk to them.

Then one of the earliest customers, a guy named Chris, gets his order! A great cheer goes up! Chris is a nice guy, everyone is happy for him.

Then nothing ... no more orders coming out ... huh? “I thought everything was fixed,” I say to the counter guy. He responds with silence.

Finally, the manager emerges from the back. “We had some problems, he says, but its all fixed now, and you will all be either getting your food any minute, or at the very least, we'll tell you when its coming.”

We never see him again. I’ve been here an hour and twenty minutes.

Then I see the other counter guy with this bag of food! Yea! Its finally happening!

He walks to the side door, meets this car that just drove up, and hands them the bag. Walks back to the counter, his pockets bulging with cash, and stands silently.

“What’s up with that?” I inquire. My counter guy, typically, says nothing. Chris, in the back of the room with his mouth full, yells “Hey, he can’t control what the other guy does!” “Give him a break,” some of the others who are eating say, "its a free society!"

Uh, ok.

Then my counter guy does the same thing! Twice! He finally says something to me - “Those weren’t your orders.”

“Damm right” the diners chime in, juice dripping down their collective chins.

Now there’s like 10 people eating, some of whom were there from the beginning, others having just arrived. There's like two hundred people waiting, and I have no idea where my order is, since the que has become meaningless. I’m getting pissed now ...

Suddenly, the menu board changes. My burger and fries are now $6, not $5. WTF?

“Hey man, its totally worth it, stop complaining,” I hear from the back of the room in between slurps of soda.

I’ll probably wait for my meal at this point. Hopefully it will be here in time for a late dinner. But I doubt I’ll ever come back to this place.

·
Registered
543 Posts
hey, i think i'm in the line next to you ... do you think it is too late to change the Large meal option to the Small??
:rolleyes:

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
ROFL! Very funny, yet sadly only funny because of how true it is...

I think this is a great illustration of how Lotus' behavior is differing from what many of us consider the business norm in the US.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Nice story but I don't see what happens with Randy? Does he stand and wait or does the parent company pull him aside and say they have his meal at headquarters before the price increase?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hey man, that extra dollar is important. It will help keep the restaurant open so you have a place to continue standing in line (either that or it'll give the manager enough money to go out and buy a new sports car...ahem). It'll also keep the soda machine operational so that the guys who already have their food can get refills on their drinks.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Using your analogy, I keep looking at those diners that got their meals, I see how happy they are, and I keep reminding myself that despite what I'm going through now, it really does appear that it'll all be worth it in the end. Like you though, I doubt I'd return to that restaurant.

·
Registered
758 Posts
So, either :

1 - You're in line knowing full well that the burger is what you want, and that the restaurant deserves the extra cash.

-or-

2 - You'd leave the restaurant with a few choice words because you didn't bring extra money, or you feel you can get a better burger down the road.

Strangely enough, buying the burger just to spite the restaurant isn't an option because it makes absolutely no sense, and nobody here would be so stupid as to think it did.

Which option are you going to pick ? Or are you actually going to take magical option three ?

·
Registered
479 Posts
3 - Consider suits against the company.

4 - Tell everyone you know about how bad the service is and hope that the bad press improves the situation...
4a - If the situation doesn't improve try to get your money back and bail out of the situation.
4b - If you can't get your money back, go ahead and buy the burger and try to sell it to one of the poor saps who still are waiting and willing to pay for the burger. You might even get to take a bite out of the burger before selling it to them for full price.

5 - Figure out how to make a burger yourself on the grill in your back yard (you'll see a number of people talking about this option on places like spyderchat).

I'm sure there are others... FWIW, I don't believe anybody "deserves" money. They simply get what they can and Lotus/LCU/the dealers know they can get more, at least in the short term, by upping the price right now. How it effects them in the long term is a bit harder to understand.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Gormit,

Can I come live in your world? It must be nice to live in a wolrd where time, money, and communication have no meaning. Where one can blindly wait thru eternity for your ever more expensive burger. Is it coming? Doesn't matter, take as long as you want. How much will be when it does arrive? Doesn't matter, not an issue. What are you here for? Who knows. It must be nice.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
nxm150 said:
Nice story but I don't see what happens with Randy? Does he stand and wait or does the cashier slip him his meal ahead of time?
I waited. Keep in mind I have been waiting just about as long as anyone here, since 2001. I was number one on the wait list here. For me, the MSRP did go up from the $38,500 I was told (I had no problem with that bump in price). And I still had to wait because of the LSS problems.

I don't want anyone to think I got some special deal because I run this forum. I don't think I did.

Back to the analogy... I placed my order a week before Steve did, and then it was $4. And my burger was handed to me for $5 while the crowd was still waiting. But most of that lunchtime crowd came in a long time after my order was placed.

However, those who did not get their food yet starting grumbling at those that got orders and told those with burgers that their opinions no longer counted since they had food. So I just shut up and kept eating. :)

just to be clear... my car that I did not get because I did that silly roadtrip, is already here in San Diego, now going to someone else. It was built in July and scheduled to be delivered in late August.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Nochmal said:
3 - Consider suits against the company.

4 - Tell everyone you know about how bad the service is and hope that the bad press improves the situation...
4a - If the situation doesn't improve try to get your money back and bail out of the situation.
4b - If you can't get your money back, go ahead and buy the burger and try to sell it to one of the poor saps who still are waiting and willing to pay for the burger. You might even get to take a bite out of the burger before selling it to them for full price.

5 - Figure out how to make a burger yourself on the grill in your back yard (you'll see a number of people talking about this option on places like spyderchat).

I'm sure there are others...
3 - You don't have a leg to stand on.
4a - Same as option 2.
4b - Magical option three with added spite :D You expect Lotus to be nice when you embrace such 'virtues' ?
5 - Same as option 2.

I'm sure there's other you can come up with also. But they're all in the scope of options 1, and 2. I was hoping you wouldn't think on the lines of number 3, but that's your prerogative.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Randy Chase said:
For me, the MSRP did go up from the $38,500 I was told (I had no problem with that bump in price). And I still had to wait because of the LSS problems.
Be glad you only got hit by the first increase, and you knew about it before you finalized your order. I was originally given the $38,500 number as well, and now I'll be paying $40,930 instead. And I still had/have to wait because of the LSS problems.

I'm sure the situation is identical for many others.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Gromit said:
3 - You don't have a leg to stand on.
4a - Same as option 2.
4b - Magical option three with added spite :D You expect Lotus to be nice when you embrace such 'virtues' ?
5 - Same as option 2.

I'm sure there's other you can come up with also. But they're all in the scope of options 1, and 2. I was hoping you wouldn't think on the lines of number 3, but that's your prerogative.
I'm not claiming that #3 is a viable option, but it is one that some people might consider.

Option 4a I believe has some viability. Whether the law allows them to do things like this or not and screw you out of your deposit is not the point. Part of why I put my deposit down was that the dealer seemed willing to work with me if the price ended up rising, as we all knew it would, out of my price range.

Option 4b is quite likely to happen in some cases if people can't get their deposits back and they can't afford the car.

Option 5 is also viable...depending on the burger you want. I don't tend to agree with the people who think they can outfit some other car with upgrades and achieve the same effect as an Elise does, but there are those who think they can.

All of these are listed as options that people can and will consider. The world isn't as simple as just option 1 and 2. For me, I will hang on as long as I can in the hope that I can afford the car when it comes time to pony up. If I can't, I'll try option 4a first and either give up the dream or look for a used Elise that is affordable and not too thrashed.

Edit: Yes, some of these options are quite similar to option 2...with subtle additions or differences. Misread you post the first time and thought you were saying they all were unviable...read too quickly.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Vangman said:
Gormit,

Can I come live in your world? It must be nice to live in a wolrd where time, money, and communication have no meaning. Where one can blindly wait thru eternity for your ever more expensive burger. Is it coming? Doesn't matter, take as long as you want. How much will be when it does arrive? Doesn't matter, not an issue. What are you here for? Who knows. It must be nice.
Sure :) I need some company :)

But seriously, time, money and communication do have meaning in my world.

time - I knew I was in for a wait. Thats why I got on a "waiting list". If I didn't want to wait for the Elise, I wouldn't.

money - Yes the increase in price sucks. Nobody goes into the burger joint and says 'please let me pay more'. But I feel the Elise is worth that extra money. Lotus built the Elise, therefore, they deserve the extra money. If it goes up more, it might stop being worth it, in which case I will go elsewhere. Theres lots of other nice cars :)

communication - Lotus lacks it. But they seem to be getting better (not like they can get any worse). Is that going to stop me buying the car ? Nope. For me, the Elise is still worth it.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
MikeAR303 said:
Be glad you only got hit by the first increase, and you knew about it before you finalized your order. I was originally given the $38,500 number as well, and now I'll be paying $40,930 instead. And I still had/have to wait because of the LSS problems.

I'm sure the situation is identical for many others.
I know that Mike. I am glad I missed this bump in price. Buying this car was very hard (paying cash) when it ended up being so much more than I expected. Out the door, it was just a little shy of $50k. With the bump, I might be pursuaded to drop touring or the film. Well, not the film. After some experience I would keep the film and I would have dropped Touring.

I already did make some choices because of the earlier change in the MSRP. I dropped my color to Yellow instead of a metallic (something I was worried about until I got my car) and I dropped the hardtop I was planning on getting (needed for some track events).

·
Registered
758 Posts
Nochmal said:
All of these are listed as options that people can and will consider. The world isn't as simple as just option 1 and 2. For me, I will hang on as long as I can in the hope that I can afford the car when it comes time to pony up. If I can't, I'll try option 4a first and either give up the dream or look for a used Elise that is affordable and not too thrashed.
It is exactly that simple. Either you buy the car, or you don't. If you buy it, you're showing support of Lotus. If you sell it right after, it doesn't matter. Lotus has made the sale, and they're a little richer because of it.

If you don't buy it, no matter why you chose not to, you're not supporting Lotus.

It doesn't matter which car you buy in the Elise's place. It just doesn't effect Lotus any more. It doesn't matter if you decide to save the money for a rainy day, Lotus is still getting the same ammount of money - $0.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
True story: One time, I was at a restaurant where I received about the quality of service described in Steve's story. I was upset about it, and thought that I might feel better if I filled out the complaint form on their company web site, which I fully expected to land in the big bit bucket. To my surprise, I found a letter in my mail a few days later, with an apology, and $15 in coupons.

And in case it isn't obvious, the story has a point: Bad customer experiences can happen everywhere. Successful companies make an effort to fix them, keep their customers happy, and make sure that they come back. They would rather give up on a few dollars than have somebody running around telling everybody how miserable their service is.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts