The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ordered a set of blackwatch racing wheel stud kit for my elise and have had them for a while, haven't had much time to install them, also pretty lazy to jack the car up and leave it on jackstands, so this is my "easier" way to install them

i barely drive the car, it can sit for 4-5 days straight and doesn't bother me

i make sure the oem wheel bolts are torqued down to 80 ft/lb's, and i take 1 wheel bolt off, then i put the supplied red loc-tite onto the thread and tighten down the wheel stud with a 3/8" allen head (instructions say 5mm but that's too small) to 20 ft/lb's (instructions say 16 ft/lb, i figured 4 more wouldn't hurt)

i leave the car over night to let the loc-tite dry, and i tighten down the wheel nut to 80 ft/lb's. and repeat the whole thing over again

sure it takes 4 days and 4 nights, but my car doesn't move and i really don't feel like pulling my jack and jackstands out to lift the car, must be winter laziness

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
but my car doesn't move and i really don't feel like pulling my jack and jackstands out to lift the car, must be winter laziness
wait, you're in cali & you still don't drive your car in the winter?

:facepalm

i would give anything to have cali winter weather right now :shift:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
This is a totally acceptable, if not ULTRA conservative, way of doing this.

If you dont want to use a jack, I think you would be safe doing 1 lug at a time.

Out with the old
Apply Red Lock-tite, insert and torque stud
put the lug nut on and torque to spec
repeat on the next lug.

Drive car for 20 min or so

re-torque all lug nuts

Take top off car

Drive on Hwy 1 for 1 to 2 hrs, taking occasional pictures of beauty of the Pacific just to the west of you.

Stop for lunch at a sea side restaurant with a patio, taking more pictures

Drive on Hwy 1 for 1 to 2 hrs home

Post pictures of trip and make the rest of us jealous.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
wait, you're in cali & you still don't drive your car in the winter?

:facepalm

i would give anything to have cali winter weather right now :shift:

Not that we really get any type of cold weather here so I'm not going to pretend like we have it bad. But we have been getting "unusually" warm weather this year. It's been 70f the past two weeks and the outlook appears to hold steady. Our drought on the other hand.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this winter is unusally warm and dry, only have had a handful of rainy days, and temps are in the 60-70's

i don't find myself driving the elise often because of my 12 hour work days and 1 hour commutes each day, i leave the house at 5:45am and don't get home until about 7-7:30pm

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
this winter is unusally warm and dry, only have had a handful of rainy days, and temps are in the 60-70's

i don't find myself driving the elise often because of my 12 hour work days and 1 hour commutes each day, i leave the house at 5:45am and don't get home until about 7-7:30pm

thats a brutal schedule... but id still rather be you right now for the weather alone rotfl

·
Registered
580 Posts
you could cut this conservative way down to only 2 days if you were to do 2 opposing studs on the same wheel a day. the other 2 bolts are completely capable of holding the weight of a stationaray car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts