The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer crashed and when i turn it on, whether i press f12 or f or anything when I choose ANYTHING it goes to a black boot screen then flashes blue and restarts. Please help.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Never makes it to a boot screen? Try Charliex's idea, then if that does not work ...

Possibly bad stick of ram. Most computers have two sticks. Make sure they are seated firmly. Then pull the second stick and attempt to start with half as much ram. If still fails, move stick 2 to stick 1's position, retry.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Its Bill Gates, he knows you are running a pirate copy of Windows...:D (j/k)

CharleX and Noisycow give good advice on this, I second both of them.

·
Banned
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never makes it to a boot screen? Try Charliex's idea, then if that does not work ...

Possibly bad stick of ram. Most computers have two sticks. Make sure they are seated firmly. Then pull the second stick and attempt to start with half as much ram. If still fails, move stick 2 to stick 1's position, retry.
Tried that, didn't work but thanks. I'm gonna do Charliex's idea but I have to order them from Microsoft on monday since they r currently closed.

·
Banned
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 more q, how do I know what service pack(SP) I had?

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
see if you can boot up in safe mode. If you can...roll back to a previous date.

Pull everything out of the computer except video. then try an start it. Try and boot up on the least neccessary to boot.

If that does not work...find a windows disk and boot up on it.

then choose the repair option the second time you see it. The first one brings you to the recovery console and you dont want that.

If that does not fix it...you may have a memory problem or a motherboard problem.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Buy a Mac :thwack:

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
If its a preinstalled OEM version or VLK, you might not be able to repair it with a retail CD, you have to match like with like.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Or just buy and Apple, my Toshiba died and I switched and I' loving it.

Q

·
0 Posts
1) Reseat the memory chips
2) Could be the power supply going bad
3) Check all connectors inside (like ones to hard drive).

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Sounds very similar to when RAM went bad in my PC.

Had a new PC built with a RAID 10 system but I still try to just use the mac as much as possible. >12 hours a day use for 3+ years. (probably hasn't been shut off more than 25 times) Only problems have been a frayed charger cord, crappy battery life now, and a CD drive problem- just plug in my old PC DVD drive by USB the rare time I need one. No real problems. No anti-virus and it's online 24/7.

My PC's have been nothing but headaches. Failed RAM, harddrives, keyboards ,monitors, SP ugrades left expensive software unusable and crashing the system trying to remove, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This just happened to me (Friday) -continuous reboot loop. Some sort of service pack automatic update that caused this. I had to boot (hit F12 key on startup) using the Windows XP CD, choose the repair option.

Here's a link that I used
How to repair Windows XP/2000 if you are unable to boot into Windows - TechSpot OpenBoards

Just make sure you choose the repair option, not the install of a fresh XP install. It seems like as it's going through the process of installing a whole new XP, but it doesn't overwrite any of your settings. My computer looked the same when done. Only thing I noticed was that Internet Explorer was back to version 6, not 7 like I had before. I hope this helps....

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
my Microsoft Computer is DEAD!%^% HELP!!
Microsoft makes computers??! Who knew!

:shrug:

·
Banned
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help guys, its say one of my files is corrupted so I'm going to order the boot CD from Microsoft tomorrow. I'm about 90% sure thats all I need since I was changing the resolution on my computer at the same time as installing my new wireless keyboard and mouse. Then my monitor said nable to read signal or something like that. So I turned it on/off safe mode, then it stopped working. Kept rebooting. Thanks guys:wave:

·
Banned
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, its say one of my files is corrupted so I'm going to order the boot CD from Microsoft tomorrow. I'm about 90% sure thats all I need since I was changing the resolution on my computer at the same time as installing my new wireless keyboard and mouse. Then my monitor said nable to read signal or something like that. So I turned it on/off safe mode, then it stopped working. Kept rebooting. Thanks guys:wave:
Power supply is ok if it powers up. I have never seen otherwise in 25 years. From what you say, I am sure that if you can get to safe mode and go to system restore and restore from a time before you made the changes...you will be all right.

I would have had the answer earlier has you said that you made video changes. You could also try disabling the on board video...stick in another video card and see if you can make the changes that way. That may work as well. you need to plug in the video card...then as the computer boots...go to setup and disable the on board video. then reboot. after you attach your video cable to the new card.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Have you been running backups? If not, you might want to consider backing up your data before you start screwing around with Recovery Console. It shouldn't be a problem, but I've seen people make the problem worse, especially if you aren't familiar with that sort of thing.

All you need to do is buy a USB to IDE / SATA adapter. You can get them from newegg for about $25. They look something like this: Newegg.com - Rosewill RCW-618 USB to IDE/SATA Adapter - Adapters & Gender Changers .

Plug the old HDD into the adapter and plug the USB side into a good computer. You can then access your old (non-bootable) HDD from the good computer and copy off whatever files you need. I highly recommend doing this before screwing around with the operating system.

The other option is find some pimply kid in the neighborhood and buy him beer / pizza to fix it for you. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts