The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve owned the Elise for a little over three weeks and I’ve already started tinkering like I always do. I’ve never done one with any of my other builds, so I thought I’d start a build thread to document everything I’ve done.

here she is the day I picked her up:

a couple days later I decided to “upgrade” the speakers for a little better sound. I like music, but being realistic with my expectations with the amount of space given, and the amount of space needed to move enough air for any noticeable base, I decided to keep it cheap, and went with some off the shelf speakers- I’ve been ok with them so far.

Then the next day I decided to do a paint correction. Admittedly, the star shield up front looks like crap, but I haven’t decided on when or how I’m gonna tackle that project yet- so I went into it with the idea that I’ll do it next time hahahah.

more to follow! Happy I found this forum, I’m certainly learning a lot!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Love the look with the hard top!

Reactions: goelise

·
Registered
17 Posts
Car looks great! I’ve been wanting to paint correct my own car but am also unsure how to approach the Star Shield. I wonder how it’ll react to polishing, have you tried to polish it at all?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car looks great! I’ve been wanting to paint correct my own car but am also unsure how to approach the Star Shield. I wonder how it’ll react to polishing, have you tried to polish it at all?
Honestly didn’t even consider it. Anything even remotely abrasive will probably dull or help yellow the star shield faster (guessing and 100% my speculation). And to be honest mine is cracking on the upper portion of the front clam, so I’m just gonna replace it when I find the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but are the speakers on the dash the same as behind the seats? I guess I’ve never looked. Would you recommend those speakers? Did they need an amp?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe a dumb question, but are the speakers on the dash the same as behind the seats? I guess I’ve never looked. Would you recommend those speakers? Did they need an amp?
They’re the same line, but different sizes. I didn’t run an amp because in my opinion I don’t see the point. Poor sound deadening makes this a terrible car for sound (unless you spend a lot of time and money to sound proof it and buy great components). Since I plan on tracking it sometime late this year after my deployment or sometime next year, I’d rather spend money on other things I want to address. So personally, for me- these speakers made sense.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Removing the immobilizer and factory alarm soon to get rid of a possible future issues that could leave me stranded. This showed up today so that I can still keep my keyless remote entry. ATX cable is due to show up tomorrow and I’m in business!

·
The Man
131 Posts
Removing the immobilizer and factory alarm soon to get rid of a possible future issues that could leave me stranded. This showed up today so that I can still keep my keyless remote entry. ATX cable is due to show up tomorrow and I’m in business!
Definitely interested on how you do this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely interested on how you do this.
Wait no more:

And here’s the link to add this remote keyless entry:

·
The Man
131 Posts
Cool, keep us updated. I read that the interior light stops working so I wonder if you will encounter the same.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, keep us updated. I read that the interior light stops working so I wonder if you will encounter the same.
Just finished and it works flawlessly. The light still works as well, I’m thinking when the put the foam back, they covered the harness to the light and forgot to connect it because they didn’t see it dangling there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I got some time to dive into the immobilizer and factory alarm removal today. I also went ahead and installed the Remote Keyless Entry that was noted in the write up (found up there^^^) to keep that feature. Follow that write up and you’re golden, I’ll only be showing pictures of what I did differently on mine.

here’s the immobilizer and harness after I removed it. Instead of cutting the harness on the vehicle side to splice the required wires together, I decided to just de-pin the immobilizer side, cut the wires that needed to be cut, and soldered them together. Makes for a cleaner install in my opinion. Pictures below:

At this point I went ahead and installed the V harness bar so that it wasn’t laying in the garage just waiting to get banged up. Purchased it from a forum member here.

Then it was time to make the harness for the Remote unlock module per instructions in the write up. I went ahead and soldered everything because I hate chasing/troubleshooting loose connections, plus crimp connections would take up too much under a very small/already space-limited dash. I also went and added heat shrink to the ends of the cut portions of the harness that weren’t utilized to further prevent grounding anything out (it’s probably a little overboard I know, but makes for a better looking job, and I don’t have to worry about it so much).

And there you have it! Everything works as advertised in the write up. Thanks to everyone that pointed me in the right direction, and answered my questions to get me on the right path!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts