The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Huge props to the guys at Monkey Wrench racing. I needed cams for my 2005 Elise as the factory cams were wearing prematurely. Once a closer look at the cams and rockers was available, it was noticed that the rockers needed to be replaced too. With short notice, Monkey Wrench was able to get rockers out the Guys at Synaptic 3 for install. There was a small snafu with a shipping mistake, and Greg took care of it immediately! They are on their way to be installed!

FREAKING AWESOME!

Thanks again for the quick response and help from the team at Monkey Wrench Racing! I can't wait to drive the car with the new Piper Stage 2 cams!

Oh and if you have a 2005 and have not checked your cams. you prolly should and soon. It's worth the piece of mind to know if they need to be replaced or not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the Stage 2 are supposed to work just fine with factory ECU.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
So glad we were able to make it happen for you. I think the label went on the box literally 2 minutes before the truck was here to pick it up. Have fun out there with the new cams!

>Oh and if you have a 2005 and have not checked your cams. you prolly
>should and soon. It's worth the piece of mind to know if they need to be
>replaced or not.

Definitely. The replacement cam/rocker kit is very inexpensive and even pretty easy to install. If you let the stock cam and rockers go too long you can get in to problems with debris or even failure of the rockers. Don't trash that engine over something simple like this.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh and if you have a 2005 and have not checked your cams. you prolly should and soon. It's worth the piece of mind to know if they need to be replaced or not.
How many miles did you have on you car when you had the cams replaced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How many miles did you have on you car when you had the cams replaced.
The car has just under 9k miles on it. They were checked and the number 3 lobe on the intake side I believe was in really sad shape with varying amounts of bad wear on other lobes.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
has there been some sort of a fix for the cam spray tube?i remember seeing a long thread about it.i dont remember if there was a fix for it though.problem being the way the factory punches holes in the tube.it would spray oil to the side and miss the cams.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I also had a great experience with MWR with this same cam issue...

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f236/great-experience-w-monkey-wrench-racing-72197/

Yeti - The 05 cams had a hardening issue from the factory, the new cams that you replace them with have had this issue resolved in the manufacturing process.

I agree that anyone with an 05 or 06 should definitely pop the valve cover off to take a look at the intake camshaft, it only takes about 5 minutes. Me and a friend did the install ourselves, fairly easy if you have the right tools and know how.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Yes, it's a defect with the pieces installed in those 05 and 06 cars from the factory. The cams are not hardened properly and start to wear which messes up their surface finish enough that they also eat the rockers. The replacements are properly heart treated and won't fail in the same fashion.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yes, it's a defect with the pieces installed in those 05 and 06 cars from the factory. The cams are not hardened properly and start to wear which messes up their surface finish enough that they also eat the rockers. The replacements are properly heart treated and won't fail in the same fashion.
Is there a VIN range/build date for cars with an issue? My car runs great but is there any way of knowing (symptoms) you have an issue without visual inspection?

Matt

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Is there a VIN range/build date for cars with an issue? My car runs great but is there any way of knowing (symptoms) you have an issue without visual inspection?

Matt
I've heard you can do an oil analysis, but I would say the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to know for sure is to remove the valve cover. Again... 5 minute or less job.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am figuring that replacing the whole head is the easiest solution to the cam problem. I am shooting for reliability at this point. Since I've seen several positive threads like this one about MWR, I am willing to spend the extra money to do this as insurance. I'll worry about more power when my driving skills catch up to what the car has now. That may never happen...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope to have my car back tonight. I will post pics of the worn cams and rockers. I can not express how important it is to get this checked if you have a 2005 MY car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts