The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several threads here about nitrous installs in Lotus. You can search for threads by Dave, Bleu Omdurman, Buzzman or jndale for their installs.

Today, I finished installing the ZEX Wet kit for 4 and 6 cylinder cars. I got the DBW version. I am posting this to illustrate a couple of ideas. My install is closest to Buzzman's (same kit and 10lb bottle, even). I am adding a window switch later on, and I will add to this post when I do.

Anyway, the first thing about my install is the way the bottle is mounted. Buzzman mounted his on the right, front side of the trunk. I think I got mine a few inches even further over than he got his. Attached are a few photos of the space i attacked, and of the plastic spacers I used to exploit some difficult space. The photos ought to be obvious, but ask questions if interested. One problem was getting the bottle into the straps. I had to buy longer bolts to put the straps together. PITA.

The second thing is that the entire install is under the boot. Since I didn't bother spending $200+ on a remote bottle opener, I didn't see any point in running an activation switch to the cabin. Also, since I bought the DBW kit, I didn't have to run a wire to a WOT switch under the pedal. The activation switch was mounted onto the battery cover.

The kit was $600.

For 55/65/75 extra HP, I can't imagine a better deal. There is some hassle factor - buying N20 at $40.

The car is quite a bit faster with the 55 shot. Putting the car into 2nd at 40 mph and mashing the pedal causes the tires to spin. The sound is great. 5 gear is the passing gear on the highway, instead of 4th.

Attachments

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Niceee. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You finally got it done! Awesome! :clap:

I'm next, though I may have to wait and make it my Christmas gift this year. I'll be in Austin in October or November for a football game. I'd love to bum a ride!

·
Banned
874 Posts
Is that legal in Texas?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You finally got it done! Awesome! :clap:

I'm next, though I may have to wait and make it my Christmas gift this year. I'll be in Austin in October or November for a football game. I'd love to bum a ride!
Absolutely. I make rides in the Lotus complimentary for folks who stay at my B&B. lol

Star of Texas Inn, an Austin bed and breakfast

We're walking distance to the stadium, too.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that legal in Texas?
I think so. That was part of my reasoning for putting it all in the boot - no switches or gauges in the cabin to attract attention during a stop.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most places it seems "legal to have, illegal to use"
I have had the same perception. But why would that be the case? Plenty of production cars make more power than mine does, and are faster, as well.

I asked a cop buddy about it. He said that he doubted the law cared, but even if it did, there is the problem of discovery. A fast car gets a ticket, end of story. Any particular cop won't think twice about giving a ticket to a Lotus.

He did warn against putting mods on the interior of the car. Such might be considered as evidence in a case of street racing.

I also asked the local inspection station. They said they didn't care at all.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
i'm sure its fun, nice and easy mod too.

law varies state to state, some states ban it, some let you have it if its empty, some if its disconnected, valve protection, some don't care, some allow you to have it connected and not empty if you're on the way to track or event, or to refill it, which is quite decent of them.

i could never find a conclusive list for each state.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Chris, Congrats! I'll have to swing by and take a gander at it.

Smart move going with a 55 shot - I think I'm backing down to 50 from 75 as well - it's still plenty of fun.

Did you change the plugs or timing?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

According to ZEX, no timing change is recommended. I haven't changed the plugs, either. I have checked them a couple of times and I did not discover any change to their appearance. I'm pretty convinced that is a safe configuration.

This weekend is all shot, but give me a call next week. I'll be running my Touring wheels on the ADO7s. I bent a rim on a pothole last week. grrr...

Hey Chris, Congrats! I'll have to swing by and take a gander at it.

Smart move going with a 55 shot - I think I'm backing down to 50 from 75 as well - it's still plenty of fun.

Did you change the plugs or timing?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Im really not too familiar with nitrous. Without the switch in the cabin is it always "on and ready" whenever you press the gas?

·
Registered
341 Posts
It appears that he put the arming switch on the battery cover instead of in the cab. He would have to get out and switch things on to play and off again to not play. That very fact is evidence to police that He is not using it on the highway, because He cannot arm on the fly. Put an arming switch in the cab with an auto-opener, there could be some trouble depending on how badly abused the cop was as a nerd-child.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts