The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always preferred an understated dark or black interior and this is the result.

Painted:
Center Console, HVAC controls surround, oddment holder between seats (not visible in photo)

Side Sills:
Carpet removed, insulated and refinished with a Micro Fiber Suede.

12 volt outlet added in painted panel to match dash at left of steering wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I insulated the side sills under the micro fiber and front firewalls to reduce the heat convection from the coolant, heater and oil cooler pipes. Did not bother do re-trim the firewall because under normal circumstances it can't be seen.
Temperature on the sills is reduced by about 20' and together with hi-tech tinting my A/C can now cope very well.
whats with the tin foil?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your A/c is not up to expectations, the combination of insulating the sills and especially this tint works great. Last summer here in Florida I suffered, now it is very comfortable. Two birds with one stone, insulated and re-trimmed.
Very novel. I never thought about insulating the sills. :up:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I like how the sills look, I think I would've added a pocket or something though if I went through all that trouble. Which products did you use for insulation and tint?

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Insulation: Foam and Foil Duct Insulation
Tint" 3M Crystalline, the very best (expensive) tint available, nothing else comes close to it's heat rejection. Is clear so it can be used on the windshield.

I like how the sills look, I think I would've added a pocket or something though if I went through all that trouble. Which products did you use for insulation and tint?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Insulation: Foam and Foil Duct Insulation
Tint" 3M Crystalline, the very best (expensive) tint available, nothing else comes close to it's heat rejection. Is clear so it can be used on the windshield.
Awesome, I think the windshield is my biggest problem right now. I already have some good 3M tint on the side windows and it helps, but the windshield is the major culprit here.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most tint, even if it's dark, only rejects visible light and UV, not I/R which is heat.
Awesome, I think the windshield is my biggest problem right now. I already have some good 3M tint on the side windows and it helps, but the windshield is the major culprit here.

·
shay2nak
24,974 Posts
i love it, it's exactly what I want to do. Flat black paint. Did you try to paint the footwell divider?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
HVAC cover and center console look nice. The rest just looks weird to me, at least it's functional for your heat issues.
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was considering the divider, but decided against it, personal preference. Actually, it's not flat back, it's called gloss, but actually finishes as satin. Good luck if you decide to do it.
i love it, it's exactly what I want to do. Flat black paint. Did you try to paint the footwell divider?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
the exposed aluminum in the interior is one of my favorite parts of the Elise, it's very unique. I understand your desire to keep out heat and it sounds like that is functional but I really don't care for the look. I Especially don't like the tin foil look in the foot wells. I've definitely notice a lot of heat from the side sills but does the front of the foot well really get hot enough to live with that foil look? Sorry but not a fan but then again I don't live in the high heat and humidity but I get it.

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your comments. I too like the bare aluminum look, but my comfort level in the summer here in Florida is far more important to me. The front firewall does get hot too, hence the insulation, but from a normal view prespective it is hardly visible. Driving the car now is a pleasure compared to last summer.

the exposed aluminum in the interior is one of my favorite parts of the Elise, it's very unique. I understand your desire to keep out heat and it sounds like that is functional but I really don't care for the look. I Especially don't like the tin foil look in the foot wells. I've definitely notice a lot of heat from the side sills but does the front of the foot well really get hot enough to live with that foil look? Sorry but not a fan but then again I don't live in the high heat and humidity but I get it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
haha yeah my a/c doesnt really meet my expectations right now. As long as I keep her in the garage overnight and everything cools down, the a/c does justice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts