The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Any thoughts on why my car wont fill up with gas? I'm pretty sure it's the back pressure but as far as I can reach in there my hoses aren't kinked but what else could it be?

The pump flips off about 30 times every time I trying to fill the tank, and I have tried all the different positions and also not pushing it in as far.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hey everyone,

Any thoughts on why my car wont fill up with gas? I'm pretty sure it's the back pressure but as far as I can reach in there my hoses aren't kinked but what else could it be?

The pump flips off about 30 times every time I trying to fill the tank, and I have tried all the different positions and also not pushing it in as far.

Anyone have any ideas?
With some of the newer pumps with vapor recovery systems, you have to push the nozzle in a little harder/farther to create a vacuum for the recovery system to work. After trying at 3 different pumps once, the owner of the station came out to explain it to me...I felt like an idiot driving from one pump to another.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Make sure the fittings on the charcoal canister (evap system) are on correctly.
Pretty sure that's what Taylor is implying as well...

I had the exact same problem after I moved my canister to the wheelwell, which resulted in a slight kink in the evap hose coming off the fuel tank.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
With some of the newer pumps with vapor recovery systems, you have to push the nozzle in a little harder/farther to create a vacuum for the recovery system to work. After trying at 3 different pumps once, the owner of the station came out to explain it to me...I felt like an idiot driving from one pump to another.
On the new vapor recovery systems, it also helps to tilt the nozzle up more (not just push in) - that is, the handle end up and the nozzle end down. You have to hold it that way as you fill up. I have done this now successfully at many gas stations that were otherwise giving me problems if I didn't tilt the nozzle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts