The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm getting my "new" 2011 aspen white evora tomorrow. Plack exhaust is also in the mail! Woohoo!

Maybe soon I will be able to answer some questions, instead of just asking them ;)

·
Registered
795 Posts
Congrats and enjoy the ride. You're in for a blast over the unique drivability of the Evora.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
You have come to the right place. This Forum has a great group of people with a ton of knowledge

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Super. What were you driving before?

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Congrats and enjoy

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Hello,
I'm getting my "new" 2011 aspen white evora tomorrow. Plack exhaust is also in the mail! Woohoo!

Maybe soon I will be able to answer some questions, instead of just asking them ;)
nice colour - it is a softer white than i thought but having seen it for a week now of DD'ing, i am getting to pick up the real colour.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Hello,

Congrats !
NA or S ?
IPS or 6 Speed ?
Remember, it does not exist without photos.

·
Registered
15 Posts
congrat !!! also need Evora S MT so bad !!!

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Welcome, where from etc. trying to get more dealers involved here to see how to improve their sales.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Welcome.., guessing this is a fellow Chinese Lotus?

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Congrats !
NA or S ?
IPS or 6 Speed ?
Remember, it does not exist without photos.
yes a big +1 to bobsys questions.

Details man. I know we all have Evoras, but the devil is in the details :evil:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys!

Yes, my car is one of the Chinese cars that got shipped back. Its a NA, 6 speed. I purchased it from Ron Tonkin in Oregon. Steve was a pleasure to work with, and would urge anybody in the market to contact him. They have 4-5 other Evoras available now.

My other car is an Ariel Atom K24 supercharged, so I'm ok with the Evora being NA. I also have a Tacoma that I drive most of the time. I'm in San Diego, if there is anybody else in the area, I would love to meet up and check out their cars.

I just received the car a few hours ago, and my first impression is very positive. I love the color, and am very happy with the way it runs/drives. It should be a very fun semi-daily!

I'll get some pics up soon!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
what are thses chinese cars? did they order a bunch so they could dismantle them, document them and then ship them back so they could just do knock off's?

·
Registered
7,610 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
what are thses chinese cars? did they order a bunch so they could dismantle them, document them and then ship them back so they could just do knock off's?
In 2011 Lotus packaged 26 North American Evoras for shipment and sale in China. These were NA units with pretty much all options. Due to a trademark issue with the name "Lotus", they were "Lotus" de-badged and we to be sold as "Evoras" only.

Once the cars were in Hong Kong and/or Beijing, the deal went sour and the cars sat in their storage containers for most of 2012 and 2013 while Lotus attempted to save the deal.

Eventually they shipped the cars back, had them fully serviced (oil change, hose replacements, ECU updates, recalls, etc.) and planned to sell them off as new. But for some unspecified reason (someone suspected changes in airbag rules) they could no longer be sold new, so Lotus titled them to Lotus USA and sold them as used with 2y/24k warranty.

Average price for these is $55k-$60k depending on options.

Most dealers picked up a couple and slowly they have been selling out. Only a handful left across the nation.

For example, my "Chinese" one came with only 15 miles on the odometer. Other than a reverse light that needed plugging in and a noisy door lock that needed replacement, it is perfect and driving strong.

·
Illegal Alien
5,308 Posts
Such inconsistencies on China market "facts" had to bring cars back, but sold 150 in 2013 and expect over 200 sales this year. Maybe they sent 2011 US cars to China to meet additional demand and those could nor be sold. As to lotus trade name issues, I can see that but on 2013 lotus purchased their being distributor and today is up and running ful service, so again if 2011 cars could not be sold then.. why ship them out nowadays they at selling current models.???

Ad to building cars in China, my read if the article us that Protons will be built their, not Lotus.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
trade mark issues in china - i love it::crazyeyes

1 - 20 of 21 Posts