The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has arrived!!!

It's aluminum [thot the Fidanza was steel, but I looked at so many ...] and a thing of beauty at 8 lbs.

Hope to have it installed early next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
Ah, another candidate for CSM.
Are you going to supercharge it too?
And put really wide Hoosiers on it?
I think the Al flywheel is CSP legal...might be wrong though. But as Bob Mosso's running a 6" multiplate clutch, seems that this is pretty small potatoes.

-la
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,425 Posts
Larry Andrews said:
I think the Al flywheel is CSP legal...
-la
Oh yeah, you're right, light flywheels are kosher in SP as long as it uses the stock attachment points and is made out of metal... don't know what I was thinking.

I think our team is going to be a threat to repeat this year at the SCNAX Cup!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robert Puertas said:
Oh yeah, you're right, light flywheels are kosher in SP as long as it uses the stock attachment points and is made out of metal... don't know what I was thinking.

I think our team is going to be a threat to repeat this year at the SCNAX Cup!
Art's already talkin' smack about takin' the SCNAX cup back. :D

Flywheel and clutch are unrestriced n SP; so's the differential as long as the gearing was available on some year of the same model. I can also go with lighter/under drive accessory pulleys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
What me worry!
I just put in my ECU bought the Header, Intake, and suspension.
And fancy new pedals!

I ain't worried about any stinkin flywheel, although I wish they would let us have one! :D

Art
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
MX5bob said:
... I can also go with lighter/under drive accessory pulleys.
On the topic of under drive accessory pulleys... Can I change all of my accessory pulleys? or just the underdrive pulley?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gunnar said:
On the topic of under drive accessory pulleys... Can I change all of my accessory pulleys? or just the underdrive pulley?
Usually if you can change one, you can change them all. Not sure the STS rule, but isn't a certain SER owner going to lighter pulleys?

The water pump is the one usually underdriven because it helps prevent cavitation at high rpm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Gunnar said:
cavitation?
This is when the water pump spins so fast it creates air bubbles as it spins reducing flow of coolent through the system.

This also happens on submarines at high speed. Often times a submarine will intentionally create a cavitation during abrupt turn leaving behind what is known as a knuckle which can fool some homing torpedo's.

Art
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Thanks Art, you know a bit too much about that. Not saying that is a bad thing :D Just a thing.

So what about changing all of the pulleys? If it is legal, is it a good thing to do, or a bit un-necessary?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,425 Posts
Gunnar said:
Thanks Art, you know a bit too much about that. Not saying that is a bad thing :D Just a thing.

So what about changing all of the pulleys? If it is legal, is it a good thing to do, or a bit un-necessary?
Probably not a good idea to replace the main crank pulley, but all of the others are fair game. The main crank pulley asks as a harmonic dampener for the crank, and some engines, especially large displacemnt 4-cylinder motors, are very susceptible to having an un-balanced crank tear them apart.

Here's a good tech article on the subject:

http://www.dinanbmw.com/html/danger_of_power_pulleys.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Robert Puertas said:
Probably not a good idea to replace the main crank pulley, but all of the others are fair game. The main crank pulley asks as a harmonic dampener for the crank, and some engines, especially large displacemnt 4-cylinder motors, are very susceptible to having an un-balanced crank tear them apart.

Here's a good tech article on the subject:

http://www.dinanbmw.com/html/danger_of_power_pulleys.htm

Reportedly, it's OK on a Miata as long as you don't super/turbocharge it. Then what fails is the oil pump.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now installed!!

And it is sweeet!! Throttle response is improved, noise increase from tranny isn't all that noticeable.

Intake and exhaust are next. :cool:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top