The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's probably not 100% cool for me to post this here, but I'm really excited about this new project I'm starting, so I thought I'd share it with the community.

I had the idea about a week ago for a new type of government, which I call a Populocracy. Essentially, what it would be is a government ruled 100% by popular vote - eliminating the need for a representative voting body (e.g. Congress). The idea of the project is to test the feasibility of such a government in action in as close to a real-world simulation as can be mustered.

Anyhow, I made this forum to start design and development of the project. Anyone with software development skills, political knowledge, or anyone interested in politics who thinks they'd like to be involved is welcome to join the team! No tasks have been assigned as yet, so everything is up in the air. Check it out at:

http://www.populocracy.com/

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Actually, that'd be called Democracy. What we have currently is called a Republican Democracy, and most of the time, the Republic part is shortened out. True Democracy is as you described, and it's shown to not be a very effective system above the local level. The lack of direction tends to be the downfall every time.

Cade

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I don't think we've evolved enough, both as a species and a society, to make a true democracy work. We elected Schwazeneger to be governor, and buy inefficient, overpriced, poor-handling SUVs to make those trips to the strip mall easier. Nah, I'd rather my fate be in the hands of special interest groups than the average citizen! ;)

Interesting idea though..

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I posted this on another thread and still think it applies:

"I hope we don't turn this Forum into a political platform....................................I have my opinions about the present political situation, the U.S. involvement in the world, and am happy to discuss it all, but not here. Let's hope this forum stays focused on the subject at hand. There are a lot of "nuts" out there who can make this innocent post very unpleasant. (Hopefully I am not one of them, but you never know LOL)"

Not calling you or me a nut but let's keep this about the Elise.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MotorCade said:
Actually, that'd be called Democracy. What we have currently is called a Republican Democracy, and most of the time, the Republic part is shortened out. True Democracy is as you described, and it's shown to not be a very effective system above the local level. The lack of direction tends to be the downfall every time.

Cade
Good points, and I'd like to address them, but not in the context of this forum. What I'm proposing isn't exactly a Democracy. Democracy fails at a large scale because of many reasons, all of which I hope to resolve through Information Technology in the Populocracy. Anyhow, you sound really knowledgeable of government... I'm sure the developers would love to have your input on the project !!!

P.S. - cerven, I agree that politics have no place in this forum. However, talking about a project I'm starting that involves politics isn't really the same thing. That is me talking about my personal ventures.... no different than someone posting about the new aluminum siding they got on their home. :D

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
There's always room for a little off topic chatter, as long as its kept in its place (the correct category) and doesn't get out of hand. This IS the 'other' category, after all. ;)

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Actually, CADE, I believe that the correct name for the current system in the United States is a Representative Democracy. The people elect representatives to do their bidding. I'd be interested to read where you got the term Republican Democracy from ? Honestly curious, not being facetious.

Cheers, Mike

P.S. Personally, I think that what we need is proportional representation, not a "winner take-all" approach to the election process, as is currently the case. This would be more of a parliamentary approach as in the U.K, which I believe has a proportional representation type system-not 100% on this, maybe someone will refute or confirm this.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If only...

Nope, UK system (last time I checked) is somewhat similar to the US in that each region elects a rep, party with most reps forms the government. I think Germany has a good example or a PR system, where IIRC any party that gets 5% or more of the national votes gets seats in the parliament (in proportion to their overall %). Again, anyone who actually knows please confirm or refute - I am not actually a German, I just play one on TV.

·
Registered
971 Posts
mikester said:
Actually, CADE, I believe that the correct name for the current system in the United States is a Representative Democracy. The people elect representatives to do their bidding. I'd be interested to read where you got the term Republican Democracy from ? Honestly curious, not being facetious.

The US is a democratic Republic. We are a Republic because our government is based on rule of Law with represenative bodies governing. Democracy comes into it because those representatives are poplularly elected. Which was not always the case with Senators (they used to be appointed by their state) but Members of the House of Representatives have always been popularly elected.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Right you are, Lumn8r. Thanks for the correction. Democratic republic is the right term, it popped into my head just now as I was brushing my teeth and I checked my People's Almanac to verify. Cade said Republican Democracy, which just sounded wrong, but he had the basic idea. At the same time though I still believe that "representative democracy" is a good description of our basic system.

So from your avatar, it looks like you're a "boomer", no ? KC-10 or KC-135 ?

·
Registered
971 Posts
mikester said:
So from your avatar, it looks like you're a "boomer", no ? KC-10 or KC-135 ?
Actually boomer is the one job I haven't had. I'm a KC-135 pilot. I started out as a crew chief and then was a nav. Can you tell what the "receiver" is in that pic?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Lumn8r said:
Actually boomer is the one job I haven't had. I'm a KC-135 pilot. I started out as a crew chief and then was a nav. Can you tell what the "receiver" is in that pic?
F-111 'vark ? The cockpit fits it, the wings look like they're not quite pulled back into delta config. Paint scheme is a bit off, maybe screen res or I might be totally off and it's not a US bird. Aussie 111's have this paint scheme though.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
On the thread of non US possibilities (based on the camo scheme)...the boom winglet is obstructing the tail so I can't figure out if it's a twin or single, but this could potentially be a Mig 29, the double delta config is extending behind the cockpit and blending into the wing. It doesn't have the canards to be Sukhoi. I'm putting my money on Mig-29. If that's the case then who'd thunk it, a USAF tanker in Alaska refueling a Ruskie Mig over the Bering Strait, instead of F-4, F-15's heading to intercept Bears and Backfires! What a world we live in.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Re: I cheated but...

roadrunner said:
...my "guess" is a Mig 29.
ha, posted while I was typing my second msg, how did you cheat?!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I could tell you, but...

...I'd have to kill you...:)

All right then, try right-clicking the avatar picture and selecting "save as" - quite informative...:)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Ah, right you are, mikester. I shouldn't have posted just after waking up, and especially while irritated. I really like the system we have, even with its flaws, I think it is the best system of government going, so I get kinda worked up more than I should sometimes. My apologies, all.

Cade

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
mikester said:
My screen's resolution isn't really up to it, I'm afraid, but I'm guessing (since you're in Alaska and USAF) that it must be an F-15.

Cheers, Mike
Gotta be a mig 29 b/c of the photo title, but it sure looks like an F-15. I guess that's probably b/c the Russians have liked our designs so much since the B-52, that they just copy 'em.:D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts