The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the middle of redo-ing my first clam and this is what I came up with. It's an 05 that had major clam damage and I am still working it and shaping it up. I just painted it and installed to try it out and because I needed the car this week. I've been putting about an extra 70 hours a week in on it not leaving the shop until 4:30 am and returning to my job (fulltime active duty) at 7 or even pulling 27 hour straight shift of sanding and sanding and sanding.

This is on my 05 and I designed in the 2010 Exige air inlets for better breathing and an updated look (I know the 2010's won't be out for a year). I still have more shaping to do and definitely a splitter to install. I tried one in attached pic but at 120mph it would become violent.

What do you guys think? I am making more designs, any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Looks good, very porsche-ish. Too bad you can't do like the 911 turbo and put the turn signals on the bars you added to the vents.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could and shave out the other signals. Or I could relocate them to the headlights but I've had it in the back of my mind to make copies and I figured other people may still need them more noticeable. I still have some work to do with it...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's mostly a bad shot, everthing measures out to a T. It looks much more dead on in person but again I was't quite finished. Plus I might go matte black.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i think it looks amazing, i like it so much i might copy the idea, i think it would look very cool if you did delete the turn signals, maybe onesbuy from the porsche like the other guy said and somehow get it done.... Id be so into it!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
not sold on the look, something about the center opening doesn't look right, i think just the fact that its a little more square looking.

however, it looks really well done, and i can appreciate that. nice work.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
What splitter did you use ( or is it fab'd ? )

·
Registered
389 Posts
funny, I woke up this morning thinking about a custom front clam. I like the splitter and how it fairs up with the lower edge. Nice work on the rest as well, but I prefer the current look esthetically.

I was thinking I should make a polyethelene splitter... or whatever they are making white water kyaks out of these days. Would be super tough to withstand the occassional scrape. Then just fair out the lower part of the front clam down to the splitter.

Not so much to change the look of the car, just to smooth out the front for better aero. The ballance it off with a more aggressive diffuser.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree on getting rid of the front turn signals. I have thinking about doing this and I don't even have a lotus yet.

Looks good!

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys, I just made the splitter out sheet aluminum as an extension from the undertray but at high speeds even with six bolts and double sided 3m tape, it was not secured enough. I am about to build in an integrated fiberglass splitter instead. I had the car out for the Malibu Canyon drive and some people got to see it and I really think it looks much better in person.
I didn't want to take the clam back off but it seems like I should remove the turnsignals! I hope to wrap this up this week but I've been asked to stress crack repair and repaint a pretty sharp looking 66 vette convertible so I might be busy. Oh and the Air Force wants me to put in a few hours.

That saves me from buying another turnsignal since my left is missing the cover! I was also thinking matte black as well but I might just make my own scheme.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh you might notice I removed the seems and the side markers. It does get a lot more air to the coolers.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
gotta appreciate the labor.

I dont like the look on the 2010's however.

but still great work. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts