·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in other words my new Daily Driver...

2008 Toyota Prius Package 6 Touring

obvious reason to purchasing the prius: gas is only getting more expensive
not so obvious reason: i drive an average of about 100miles/day
why touring: need nav and BT, HID, leather is a must, suspension/wheel tire combo cus i do mostly freeway driving for the extra stability, all other options are a good extra but not necessary
why super white: i love the color red on cars, but since the red on the prius is not red enough, white is my second fav color on cars...easy to maintain, timeless, and blends in

just purchased 3/27/08, took most of the day, from a trade of my 05 scion xa, and want to give Cerritos Toyota some props for helping me pull it off!!!

so far with mostly freeway driving and avg speed of about 70-75mph im getting about 40+mpg

mods soon to follow

questions, comments, suggestions and even JOKES are always welcome

thanx for looking

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Were you able to get a pass to drive in the carpool lane as well?

Also, were u the Prius that drove past me at around 100MPH on the 14 Freeway last week? lol

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx for the pics again loanshark, someone must be bored LOL

simon, no that was NOT me, im still breaking her in, ive managed to put about 700+miles in the 3days ive had it.

the DMV no longer gives those out, and given the fact that 99% of the time i drive i have a carpool buddy anyway, im in it mostly for the MPG

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
No laughs from this corner. My wife and I just bought one in Calypso Red (Package 2) to replace our aging family transport/grocery getter, a 2000 Sienna. Prius has the best hybrid technology, no question. I didn't think I'd like it at all, but after just sitting in it and powering it up I was halfway sold. A quick test drive to determine acceleration and road manners (both judged "acceptable") convinced me. Build quality is great. We got 49MPG driving from Florida to VA (Skyline Drive)... quite a large change in altitude. I was just driving as I normally would in the Sienna, slightly above the speed limit, even in the mountains. We put 2400 miles on it in 2 weeks.

Mods: See priuschat.com. There's no turbo kit yet. Don't laugh. MPG would go up quite a bit. A plug-in version is rumored, possibly '09 model year.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Why not just get a diesel?

I don't understand peoples' facination with the current hybrids (Aptera NOT included). All the energy and pollution that goes into manufacturing the batteries and extra parts required for the hybrid, coupled with the fact the batteries have to be replaced after 80-100k anyway and the added cost of the hybrid over a similar sized car doesn't off set the savings in fuel for, in some cases, and this is fact....300k miles!!!!!!

I say boo to hybrids, more bullsh!t propaganda from the greenies.

If you like the car, great, buy it for that reason, not because you're saving money or doing the Earth a favor.

Btw, I actually do care a lot about fossil fuel conservation, which is a large part of the reason I posted in this thread. My next car will be a hybrid Aptera if it's at all available

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
this could become an interesting thread...

i also have a scion xa - but a counter point:

what is the carbon footprint of the cash outlay to get an extra ~8mpg?

what is the enviromental impact of manufacturing a prius over an xa?

not disagree or arguing, just drumming up debate to hear others opinions.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
this could become an interesting thread...

i also have a scion xa - but a counter point:

what is the carbon footprint of the cash outlay to get an extra ~8mpg?

what is the enviromental impact of manufacturing a prius over an xa?

not disagree or arguing, just drumming up debate to hear others opinions.
That's what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
My "green" car is a bicycle.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Coi, you're my Kart #11 Black Flag brother, so I'm gonna give you a free math lesson you're not going to like.

Given you trade it in, I'm guessing the price difference (Delta P -- for you math geeks) is over $17k w/ tax and license, probably closer to $19k, but let's stick to $17k

If you drive 100 miles a day, let's make the conservative case scenario of these assumptions:

40k miles / year at $4/gallon
Scion gets 30mpg -- conservative given Coi drives freeway, he probably gets closer to 35mpg
Prius Touring gets 45mpg at best w/ those Turanza's, if he floors it, he'll only get 43 mpg

so...

Coi -- assuming you only traded up for the gas mileage --
at the best case scenario, you only need to drive the prius for 385,000 miles to regain the extra $$$ for the prius if gas is $4/gallon

by my estimate... you'll probably have to drive 500,000 w/ gas being $5/gallon to make your money back.

but here's the good news:
prius is cooler than Xa
leather, nav and bt is cool.

put the 3m crystalline all the way around, and you'll feel cool inside even when it's 100+ in corona :)

sorry for unsolicited math lesson -- i'll buy you a beer next time we meet to make it up to you.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My "green" car is a bicycle.
I'm probably gonna get heat for this from someone, but is self powered transportation the best, ie most efficient and smallest CO2/methane emiting?

Products of combustio: essentially water and CO2, products of metabolism: essentially water and CO2.

When we are more active, we need to consume more energy, (that's why we breathe faster when we work out.)

When we consider that our food travels an average of 1500 miles before it gets to us and we are able to consume it, in addition to all the energy that goes into packaging, processing, or methane that is produced from the animals we eat (and the methane we produce for that matter) it begs the questions: 1. are we really saving resources by utilizing self powered transportation, and 2. Are we reducing our CO2 foot print?

:sheep:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey thanx everyone!

i got rid of the scion , but heres a small tidbit, i just used that as a trade, the prius actually replaces the duty of my 2007 caddy ext, which at best gets 14.8mpg, so says its on board computer, so in essence im getting 3x better gas mileage

reason why the prius...its almost equally equiped as my caddy, nav, sat radio, bt, HID, rear back up camera, various trip computers etc.

and to top it off i also have a diesel, 2500HD crew cab, it cost $4+/gallon and gets about an average of 18mpg, i still loose

OK someone do the math now??

edit: i also belong to priuschat, username: kandyredcoi

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Coi, you're my Kart #11 Black Flag brother, so I'm gonna give you a free math lesson you're not going to like.

Given you trade it in, I'm guessing the price difference (Delta P -- for you math geeks) is over $17k w/ tax and license, probably closer to $19k, but let's stick to $17k

If you drive 100 miles a day, let's make the conservative case scenario of these assumptions:

40k miles / year at $4/gallon
Scion gets 30mpg -- conservative given Coi drives freeway, he probably gets closer to 35mpg
Prius Touring gets 45mpg at best w/ those Turanza's, if he floors it, he'll only get 43 mpg

so...

Coi -- assuming you only traded up for the gas mileage --
at the best case scenario, you only need to drive the prius for 385,000 miles to regain the extra $$$ for the prius if gas is $4/gallon

by my estimate... you'll probably have to drive 500,000 w/ gas being $5/gallon to make your money back.

but here's the good news:
prius is cooler than Xa
leather, nav and bt is cool.

put the 3m crystalline all the way around, and you'll feel cool inside even when it's 100+ in corona :)

sorry for unsolicited math lesson -- i'll buy you a beer next time we meet to make it up to you.
I agree with you except that as gas prices go up, he will need to drive a shorter distance to recover his costs, although it will still be something ridiculous like 300k...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
hey thanx everyone!

i got rid of the scion , but heres a small tidbit, i just used that as a trade, the prius actually replaces the duty of my 2007 caddy ext, which at best gets 14.8mpg, so says its on board computer, so in essence im getting 3x better gas mileage

reason why the prius...its almost equally equiped as my caddy, nav, sat radio, bt, HID, rear back up camera, various trip computers etc.

and to top it off i also have a diesel, 2500HD crew cab, it cost $4+/gallon and gets about an average of 18mpg, i still loose

OK someone do the math now??

edit: i also belong to priuschat, username: kandyredcoi

How about a tdi Jetta? Compare apples to apples. ;)

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no figures on a TDI jetta, how much? mpg? and the big quesion is reliabilty?

had toyotas almost all my life, no fuss, put gas change oil, run til 200+K

my buddies then NEW GTI was a POS, was at a drive thru and driver window just falls off, had to replace it 2x, interior butons and such get old and worn out quite fast, cheap leather!

there are other reasons why i picked the toyota, other than its MPG, and the fact that its the BEST hybrid around hands down

no diesel CAR even comes as closely equiped?

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
and then you are only recoving the cost outlay - but "money" has an impact. in that you impact the enviroment to make money. so when you spend large sums of money - like a car purchase, you had to drive, fly, use electricity, make other people do the same to make that money. so the 17k expense to move up have a carbon footprint in itself.

although realistically you can think of that as sunk footprint - because its not like you are going to NOT make that money... or maybe.... thats a part of the problem?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and then you are only recoving the cost outlay - but "money" has an impact. in that you impact the enviroment to make money. so when you spend large sums of money - like a car purchase, you had to drive, fly, use electricity, make other people do the same to make that money. so the 17k expense to move up have a carbon footprint in itself.

although realistically you can think of that as sunk footprint - because its not like you are going to NOT make that money... or maybe.... thats a part of the problem?
quite confused, but that theory applies to all cars

funny thing is im getting all this heat for buying a prius, when a lot of board memebers are talking about buying large trucks that get like less than 20MPG and costs considerably more than my lil green machine

and thats not counting the members here who run "decat" pipes

what gives? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 146 Posts