The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the cash together and went and picked up my new race car on Saturday. I will be heading down to Roebling on Friday and Saturday to shake the car down before the race the following weekend at CMP. Should be a lot of fun. I'll be working frantically on it this week to get it ready. I do not like the harness that is in the car, so HMS will be getting a phone call from me in the morning for a Schroth Hybrid 2 harness. I'm 99% sure I will be getting the R3 device instead of the HANS since I like the functionality of using it in cars that may or may not have a harness and a few other things. I need to get a bead seat poured also, but I won't have time to get that before this weekend. I might be able to get it done before the CMP race though. I also plan on adding a Chase Cam system as well as a data acquisition system, but the data system will be a few months down the road. I'll have to get some pics of the Elise and this side by side once I get the Elise back together. I can't wait to get it on the track!:coolnana:

The wife doesn't like the colors/paint job so if you have some suggestions, post a pic. I'm thinking a simple 1 color paint job or maybe 2 colors and then using some vinyl to overlay some cool striping or pattern. Probably won't happen until the off season, but I need some spare bodywork so it may happen sooner.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
very cool!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Nice! very clean!:clap: spec's please. what are your plans for it?

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Best wishes on your new adventure. :up: Keep us posted.......

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice! very clean!:clap: spec's please. what are your plans for it?
I second that. Very nice, yes some specs would be nice.

Is this a Formula Ford?

When you get a Formula car are you allowed to drive it at an HPDE / track day? Or does it have to be raced with other Formula Cars?

Just curious how much do one of these cars go for? I apologize if this is a forward question or offensive. I just have no clue what one of these things go for.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice! Now that you have made the big purchase, you need to sell me your old O2 sensor/CEL eliminator.

PM me

Jerry

·
Registered
992 Posts
I second that. Very nice, yes some specs would be nice.

Is this a Formula Ford?

When you get a Formula car are you allowed to drive it at an HPDE / track day? Or does it have to be raced with other Formula Cars?

Just curious how much do one of these cars go for? I apologize if this is a forward question or offensive. I just have no clue what one of these things go for.
looks like a formula 500, which is a great, fun way to race in SCCA. I was looking at em ... affordable, maybe $15 - 20k will get you a used one. and slower than a FF but still a blast. top end should be similar to a FC, maybe 135? that sound right?

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
chris,
make sure to make the nose a very bright loud color. it makes it easy to see you in the mirror.

one color is best to be able to change body panels in case of damage at the track. maybe a loud nose color, and the rest one color. my car just got painted ford blue, i will be making the nose yellow.
also, prioritize that seat, it keeps you comfortable in the car. make your arse as low as possible to keep the CG low. it makes a big difference.
in my car i sit on the floor pan. make sure that the seat fits the small of your back firmly, so if you get hit from behind, or a wall, you dont get a secondary impact and injure your back.

looks nice!!!!!!!
PM me if you have any questions about the seat or anything
congrats!!!!!!
Fishguy

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I raced a F440 (yes, that was a long time ago). Great choice. I say paint the back white and make the car look like a cute panda bear. I like panda bears! Or, how about painting it all black, putting the number 00 on it, and calling it a Danny Ongais edition. (You have to be old to remember that.) Paint it all black and do a Lotus 78 F1 edition with gold pinstripes and a number 5 with the Union Jack on the side. I always thought that a black track Elise/Exige should have that scheme as a stone guard. Enjoy the ride. Roebling is a good SARRC track for a F500.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry about not getting back to you on the O2 sensor. As you can see, I have been a little preoccupied! :D I'll send you a PM on it.

As far as the car, it is a Formula 500. The car is a 1994 KBS Mark 7 running a Rotax 494cc two stroke engine with a continuously variable transmission. This particular car is a good condition and should easily run with if not towards the front of the pack with the appropriate driver (i.e. not me). It is pretty basic and does not have a data acquisition at this time. Just the basic EGT sensors, water temp, and RPM's. I will be adding various items over the coming months such as a Chase cam system, bead seat, data acquisition and some other things.

As far as speed goes, F500 is very comparable in speed to FF. The track record at Roebling Road for F500 and FF are within 0.1 sec of each other. Large tracks with long straights will give the advantage to the FF with its higher HP to overcome the aero drag. Tighter courses give the F500 the advantage with the CVT tranny enabling us to put the 100% of the power down and never needing to shift which slows the FF down.

Top speed will really depend on the final drive gearing you use which will vary between 3:1 all the way to 4.5:1 for autocross. The fastest speeds I have heard about on a F500 was a little over 140 mph. I won't disclose what I paid, but there were 4 cars I was looking at ranging from $7K to $13K. The $13K car is a nationally competitive car that was at the runoffs last year. Brand new cars will run between $20K to $25K and you can run the costs up even higher adding on data systems and other goodies. Compare that to a new FF being over $50K. F500's also cost less than 1/2 of a FF to operate. Bang for the buck, you just really can't beat the F500 for w2w racing.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
chris,
make sure to make the nose a very bright loud color. it makes it easy to see you in the mirror.

one color is best to be able to change body panels in case of damage at the track. maybe a loud nose color, and the rest one color. my car just got painted ford blue, i will be making the nose yellow.
also, prioritize that seat, it keeps you comfortable in the car. make your arse as low as possible to keep the CG low. it makes a big difference.
in my car i sit on the floor pan. make sure that the seat fits the small of your back firmly, so if you get hit from behind, or a wall, you dont get a secondary impact and injure your back.

looks nice!!!!!!!
PM me if you have any questions about the seat or anything
congrats!!!!!!
Fishguy
My first priority is the harness. The ones currently in the car have a huge bracket for the sub straps that sits right on top of Mr. Willey when I have the lap belt in the right position on my hips. I'm going to replace them this week with the Schroth Hybrid 2 harness which I used in the Elise and has no crotch hardware. Next will be a H&N restraint, most likely the R3. Third will be the bead seat. I'm taking the car to a professional to get the bead seat done. There is a local formula prep shop in Charlotte that is going to help me out. I'm also hopefully going to be able to get a Chase cam installed before the CMP race. I really want to record my first race for posterity.

I know what you mean about the color of the nose. There was a florescent orange FC at the SCCA school and I could see that guy in my mirrors a mile away. I'm thinking the current white nose will show up ok against the black background of the rest of the car, but in all honesty I wouldn't mind adding some color to the car.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
when you get the bead seat made, be sure to bring your helmet and H+N restraint with you so that you fit correctly with all your gear.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
when you get the bead seat made, be sure to bring your helmet and H+N restraint with you so that you fit correctly with all your gear.
Thanks for the advice! I will make sure I bring everything.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My first priority is the harness. The ones currently in the car have a huge bracket for the sub straps that sits right on top of Mr. Willey when I have the lap belt in the right position on my hips. I'm going to replace them this week with the Schroth Hybrid 2 harness which I used in the Elise and has no crotch hardware. Next will be a H&N restraint, most likely the R3. Third will be the bead seat. I'm taking the car to a professional to get the bead seat done. There is a local formula prep shop in Charlotte that is going to help me out. I'm also hopefully going to be able to get a Chase cam installed before the CMP race. I really want to record my first race for posterity.

I know what you mean about the color of the nose. There was a florescent orange FC at the SCCA school and I could see that guy in my mirrors a mile away. I'm thinking the current white nose will show up ok against the black background of the rest of the car, but in all honesty I wouldn't mind adding some color to the car.
Thanks for the info. Very nice purchase.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The paint looks all done to me but if you need to I would look into some of the suggestions that RoadDad has made.

Cool looking car, congrats.

·
Registered
377 Posts
thanx!

How about Saffron Yellow in remembrance of your Elise?

Jerry

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have thought about Saffron Yellow. I am partial to a yellow sports car. :D Luckily, it doesn't cost too much to paint these cars since the entire body comes off. Racers call it a 50/50 paint job. It only has to look good at 50 ft and 50 mph!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts