The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my new ride for the 2008-2009 season.

I am going to be running it in the SCCA SoPac region, as well as with NASA here in AZ.

I still will be running the Swift DB-1 with HSR-West in the group called "the series", but there are only five weekends that comprise this challange.......... and its just not enough to comprise a years worth of racing for me, though HSR and the Formula Fords are the most fun I have ever had running (we have fields of ~ 25 cars currently and growing).

I needed to choose a good car that has good sized fields, and a dedicated run group like in HSR-West with the Formula Fords.

For some reason the SCCA out here has maybe 2-3 FF cars running at their regional events(not worth the wear and tear on the car to go to IMO), and only ~ 6 spec miatas that show up to all the races.

A few months back, I had purchased a Formula First(VW based) to supplement my track time when not participating in "the series". Unfortunatley, the (local) club that the Formula First was to be run with was just not safe IMO. I wont mention the name of the club, as i dont want to bash anyone, but skeleton track crews, and unlicensed drivers (not respecting flags when they were flying), no tech inspection just wasnt worth it to me, as i definately know better.
I have a national SCCA license, and it made zero sense to run in a situtation like that when i have tons of options to race with as far as clubs go (SCCA license is honored by all clubs). An 'eye-opening" event confirmed what i had been trying to deny was a poor decision in the first place.

I decided to get my track time in whatever club has a safe venue(SCCA, NASA) and go where the car counts are highest.

My choice was easy here in AZ.
The spec 944 has the highest car counts, in the SCCA it has a dedicated run group(the spec miata/FF does not), which is a big decision factor for me. I hate sharing track/racetime with other cars that are faster or slower(someone is always in the way). There are about 15 Spec 944 cars running with SCCA, and about 12 running with NASA.

The car weighs 2600 lbs(with driver), and has about 130 HP at the wheels. Its going to be a tank compared to the FF car that comes in @~1050 lbs, and 110 HP at the crank.

Its a done deal, and the car comes home on wednesday.

There is a NASA race at Miller motorsports park next week where they have ~50 spec 944s' that will be there, but unfortunately i cannot attend. i have a race in the Swift DB-1 the following week out in cali, and thats what i am committed to running the season in, but next season i think i will attend the MMP event.

It will be nice to have lots of options as to when and where to race, and be racing in safe clubs with quality drivers. The car was the championship winning car in the SCCA region the past 2 seasons (mostly due to its past owner who is a great racer), so if i do badly there will be no excuse but myself. i always try to buy the best car that i can afford in whatever racing i do, and this car is it.
Now the long countdown until September, when i can take it out begins.
Fishguy

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
My long time Pro 7 and Spec Miata buddy started racing Spec 944 this year and loves it. He is also running with POC. It looks like it handles great and is great fun, I can't wait to get in it and try it out. Enjoy yours!

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
very cool. good decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts