The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally replaced the giant rear view mirror with one of an appropriate size. The pictures show it alongside the stock mirror for comparison.

Note that I mounted the new mirror higher to give me even more room below the mirror.

The finish is brushed billet, just like the window cranks, heater controls, etc.

I made it from parts of two commercial mirrors plus one fabricated part to connect the two.

The difference in visibility is incredible! Especially those right hand freeway ramps where the old mirror completely obscured my view and hid whole cars.

I LOVE it!! I can't believe I waited five weeks to get this done. I now have 980 miles, so it's time for my "freedom service".

Attachments

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
choco,
downloaded the file but haven't read it yet. Do you list a source for the mirrors in there? THanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the .pdf file is just four pictures -- no words. I couldn't figure out how to put four pictures in one posting, so I used Acrobat this time.

I bought the mirror head from Big Al's Carponents http://www.bigalscarponents.com (part #2011S) and the bracket / swivel extension from Allsales Manufacturing http://www.allsalesmfg.com (part #71005, including a 6" oval mirror). Both of these included parts that I threw away. I then fabricated a part to connect these two.

--Joe

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Thank you, thank you!
Joe, Can you tell us more of the detail. For instance how do you remove the old mirror. I really want to do this mod as the huge mirror is annoying. I'll order the part s if I can figure out how you did it all. what was the part that you needed to fabricate and what material did you use.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removing the old mirror is simple if you follow the directions (and helpful photo) supplied by Stan at this location:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6713

I used a 1/4" screwdriver to carefully pop the spring clip.

The photo attached to this posting points out the fabricated part. It has female threads on one end and male threads on the other end. It was machined from aluminum and given a brushed finish to match the other pieces.

NOTE: I mounted my mirror to the right of the stock mirror, but after driving it a bit, I think it would be better to the left. Put it close. I left enough room to mount either mirror, although I'm not sure why.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KMS Elise's Reverie seats

Wesley,

I noticed from the pix you just posted of your side-view mirrors that you have the Reverie seats, right?

I don't fit in the stock seats very well because my hip bones sit on top of the vertical side pieces of the seat bottom. So, I'm looking for alternatives. Are the vertical sides of your seat any further apart than on the stock seat?

I'm also looking to buy a stock seat to cut up and experiment with to see if I can make it fit. Either cut off the vertical pieces, or splice in a section to move them apart. If you have your stock seats, would you be interested in selling one?

Thanks!

--Joe (chococar)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This thread title on the HOME page is very enticing:

"My tiny new rear"

It's not what I expecrted it to be - I'm disappointed:shrug:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm interested in side view mirror alternatives. The stock mirrors are always getting bumped out of alignment and difficult to properly adjust.

Also, how did you fabricate that connector piece on the rear view?

Cade

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Re: Any one interested in replacing side mirrors?

KMS Elise said:
Here is a set of side mirrors that weigh 570gms each. No mods, just bolt on!!
Cool, but where might we get them and who makes them? ;)

·
Registered
964 Posts
side view mirror

These mirrors are design and made for the Japanese GT Championship cars / Formula Nippon open wheel racer by Craft Square. They made one for Elise since they are so popular there. You can ask Shinoo(Sector 111) about them.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MotorCade,

The fabricated piece was made on a lathe. If you don't have access to a lathe, and the knowledge to use one, then you should go chat with your local machine shop. It's not a difficult part to make for someone who is competent with a lathe.

I asked my machinist if he wanted to sell those parts, and he said "no". He would be willing to sell batches of them (maybe 10 or more), but not individually.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have both of these pieces and the custom made coupler. I have grown to prefer no rearview at all. I'm willing to sell it. I've done all the work for you!
PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Holy 6 year old thread revival Batman!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts