The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the first picture I have posted of the 1998 V8 with 26K miles that I just purchased last week from a true gentleman in Reno that has owned it for the last 8 years. This pic is just after the seller personally delivered the car to Viking for a full service before it is shipped to me in Houston.

The car is basically stock and has had very few problems since birth (just things like battery and alternator), so it is unmolested.

I will have Viking change all the belts, new cooling hoses, recore the radiator, new fan, thermostats, most likely I'll go ahead and change the original clutch. They will also check the car throughout since we are low on Esprit talent in Houston. In fact, if anything major every happens to the car that I can't handle, it will most likely be shipped back to Viking since it can get very expensive and tragic when our local dealer gets their hands on these cars.

Can't wait until it gets here! I am already buying add on parts like the Elise airbag steering wheel and adapter.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I don't know the born on date off hand, but mine is #15629.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
15528 - April, 1998. Same color - Calypso Red

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
15528 - April, 1998. Same color - Calypso Red
I've seen your pics, and it's impressive! I plan to get mine to that level.

Question: Where did you get the shift knob and ring, or were they already on the car when you bought it?

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So Philip, did you get the car back? How is it?
Thanks for checking in, Gonzo! No the car is still at Viking. Almost everything was done quickly, but then the delay was waiting for the uprated cooling fans.

The fans finally arrived the other day, and today is a big day because it will be the first time that the car is fully reassembled to test the renewed clutch, the cooling system silicon hoses and enlarged radiator, and the new belts.

When everything tests out ok, I will begin the painful process of arranging shipping for the 1,500 mile trip to Houston. That could mean it will take 3 days to 3 weeks from the time the car is declared ready before I have it in my garage.

Did I mention I hate waiting...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Thanks for checking in, Gonzo! No the car is still at Viking. Almost everything was done quickly, but then the delay was waiting for the uprated cooling fans.

The fans finally arrived the other day, and today is a big day because it will be the first time that the car is fully reassembled to test the renewed clutch, the cooling system silicon hoses and enlarged radiator, and the new belts.

When everything tests out ok, I will begin the painful process of arranging shipping for the 1,500 mile trip to Houston. That could mean it will take 3 days to 3 weeks from the time the car is declared ready before I have it in my garage.

Did I mention I hate waiting...
That 3 weeks is gonna seem like 3 months. But - yer gonna be all giddy when that truck shows up.

Welcome to The Esprit Brotherhood. :bow:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why not fly there and drive it back?

And congrats on the new ride!
Thanks! I can't wait to get it. I was just out to lunch with a great fellow Houston owner admiring his 01 Esprit, and it makes me even more impatient.

Thought about driving it back, but here are the downsides that outweighed the perils of shipping:
- Costs about the same as shipping ($850) in airfare, gasoline, hotel
- 1,500 miles in a sports car with no cruise control that I barely fit
- 1,500 miles of one of the most boring drives in America
- 1,500 miles through the desert in the middle of summer in a 14 year old british exotic that I just met
- 1,500 extra miles on the odometer
- 2 to 3 days off of work (if it doesn't break down)

As this point, I would much rather wait for the shipping so I can get to know the car through small trips around town before I make a big road trip.

·
Registered
63 Posts
U have a very nice car...I love my Esprit ! Our Esprit Owners Group will Never take our cars to Harry at Viking....Very bad experiences...beware! I wish more would chime in so people that don't know first hand could be aware !

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm one of those people who'll never bring my car ever to Viking. Harry messed up my car and tried to rip me off by charging me 500 to fix their mistake. I also heard of incidencess where Harry charged people for Hi Torque ECU's and not installing them. He's shady. Rip off artist.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I started hearing about some bad reviews of Viking first hand from owners only after my car was already on the lift and in pieces.

Most of the bad reviews were from a few years ago. So I have my fingers crossed that things have changed for the better at Viking and I will have a good experience when the car is done. I'll definitely post back how the work turns out because user reviews are definitely one of the biggest values of the Internet.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I started hearing about some bad reviews of Viking first hand from owners only after my car was already on the lift and in pieces.

Most of the bad reviews were from a few years ago. So I have my fingers crossed that things have changed for the better at Viking and I will have a good experience when the car is done. I'll definitely post back how the work turns out because user reviews are definitely one of the biggest values of the Internet.
Don't worry about that....people will never be satisfied.
There is no perfect garage - there is always someone will moan and groan:shrug:

1 - 20 of 76 Posts