The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is something I picked up the other day with full intentions of having a track side PC. Picked it up at Best Buy for right around $400 (Had a 10% off coupon).

The PC is 100% solid state, meaning no hard drive to worry about bouncing around. My particular model has 16gigs of Solid state memory to use as a hard drive. This PC is fairly shock resistant. Battery last around 3 hours. I do have to say its quite fast for its size too. Believe me guys this thing is really small and will weighs in at 2 pounds. Traqmate software runs on it quite quickly and can display both data and video at the same time without any issues. This is the perfect Track side Laptop/notebook.

The model I choose for no other reason than thats what Best buy had is the ASUS Eee PC 900. Specs can be found at the below link.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have an eeePC that I used in my BMW, but the interior design of the Exige allowed me to install a CarPC into my car. This also allowed me to integrate some PC functions into my JVC stereo such as IPOD and Navigation. I just got my ElmScan 5 OBD-II scanner tool and PCMScan today, so I'll be integrating that into my CarPC as well.

For those of you looking to get a solid small form factor notebook, the eeePC units are great. In addition to the 900 model, ASUS has also released the 901 and 1000 models recently.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just needed something small that I wouldnt have to worry to much about breaking for the track.. At $400 I not going to feel to bad if it gets stolen or some how broken at the track.

A little hint, if your picking up one of these, go to the portable DVD section and pick up one of the portable DVD Bags to put the laptop in. They dont make laptop bags small enough for this thing.. :)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I just needed something small that I wouldnt have to worry to much about breaking for the track.. At $400 I not going to feel to bad if it gets stolen or some how broken at the track.

A little hint, if your picking up one of these, go to the portable DVD section and pick up one of the portable DVD Bags to put the laptop in. They dont make laptop bags small enough for this thing.. :)

Yeah, they are very durable. I dropped my eeePC from the passenger seat of a Chevy Tahoe onto the concrete during a snowboarding trip. The computer stayed on and all the data was intact :)

·
Banned
874 Posts
Yeah, they are very durable. I dropped my eeePC from the passenger seat of a Chevy Tahoe onto the concrete during a snowboarding trip. The computer stayed on and all the data was intact :)
Exactly WHAT do you need it for at the track or w/e? just curious:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
460 Posts
Exactly WHAT do you need it for at the track or w/e? just curious:rolleyes:
Some of us like to download data between sessions and see where improvements can be made. It seems to accelerate the learning process, especially when you can combine it with video. Gives you immediate feed back on how you are doing and what you can do to improve. The data / video does not lie...(for example Me say "No really I did not lift / brake in that turn, I swear. Computer say, "Ummm Doghouse, did you look at the data..." Me go :eek:)

BTW, I have an old recycled Dell laptop that does the same thing. Bought it on Flea-bay for $200 and added some memory total set up was $300 or so. Not as nice or up to date as what Chili has, but gets the job done.

Also allows you to check email / the Lotus Talk site in the hotel room after a long day at the track.

·
Banned
874 Posts
Some of us like to download data between sessions and see where improvements can be made. It seems to accelerate the learning process, especially when you can combine it with video. Gives you immediate feed back on how you are doing and what you can do to improve. The data / video does not lie...(for example Me say "No really I did not lift / brake in that turn, I swear. Computer say, "Ummm Doghouse, did you look at the data..." Me go :eek:)

BTW, I have an old recycled Dell laptop that does the same thing. Bought it on Flea-bay for $200 and added some memory total set up was $300 or so. Not as nice or up to date as what Chili has, but gets the job done.

Also allows you to check email / the Lotus Talk site in the hotel room after a long day at the track.
pretty cool I shud be in for something like this pretty soon...:coolnana:

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I have an eeePC that I used in my BMW, but the interior design of the Exige allowed me to install a CarPC into my car. This also allowed me to integrate some PC functions into my JVC stereo such as IPOD and Navigation. I just got my ElmScan 5 OBD-II scanner tool and PCMScan today, so I'll be integrating that into my CarPC as well.

For those of you looking to get a solid small form factor notebook, the eeePC units are great. In addition to the 900 model, ASUS has also released the 901 and 1000 models recently.
wow...how and where was the PC installed in the car??? pics?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For anyone interested in this setup here is a 10% bestbuy coupon...

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Personally I would recommend a used laptop with a larger screen over this. When your looking at your data between session, there's no replacement for screen real estate.

·
Registered
566 Posts
wow...how and where was the PC installed in the car??? pics?

Here you go.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f133/carpc-rearview-cam-jvc-deck-speakers-finally-done-59001/

I've updated the install and cleaned it up more, but I haven't taken updated pics. I really cannot imagine myself driving around without the CarPC now.

The touchscreen interface really makes controlling the IPOD and NAV much easier, and I can load the OBD-II software with just a few touhes of my finger. Another cool thing is being able to pull up to a local Starbucks and bum off their WiFi to do some web surfing.

Anyway, the CarPC might be coming out of the car soon, as I am thinking of selling.

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
i'd be interested in the CarPC and datalogging...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts