The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Numark TTX1 tables
Stanton smx401

Getting back to my house music days in the 80s. There is some great electronica out there and some amazingly lousy stuff.

Does Club111 need a DJ ? :D

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Very nice Shinoo. I did in fact go to see Paul Van Dyk spin in Toronto while I was there. Maybe you can show me how it all started back in the 80s!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian,

Can you recommend any good record shops in SoCal?

I picked up some vinyl down in San Diego and online at Dancegrooves.com and Covert.co.uk. I still have a few great records from the 80s (Joey Beltram's 'Energy Flash' and Suburban Knight's 'the World') but for the most part I'm starting from scratch (pun intended).

BTW:Covert has a great collection of Detroit Techno.

Justin,
Stop by for a musical tour wrought from the industrial wasteland that was the birthplace of techno and ....you. :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Good House music, now that'd be awesome, sounds like another product of a misspent youth during the 1980's :D How about you two put together a nice collection for the drive off the dealers lot?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
BrianK said:
Found it! ;)

welcome to the club. :D
I really like the cinder block stands. Haven't seen that since my poor, broke, college student days...rotfl

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
TimMullen said:
I really like the cinder block stands. Haven't seen that since my poor, broke, college student days...rotfl

Tim Mullen

Isn't amazing that after living like that for so long you keep going back to your 'roots?' There is something comforting in having that simple a life. I didn't have a bed through college/medschool/residency and after I finished and started working I still slept on the floor for a few months before I broke down and bought a bed!

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
TimMullen said:
what, you don't like those? Funny, no one else really seems to like them either. ;)

record shops: I do most of my shopping online, but around town there's a few decent places... Beat Non Stop on Melrose, This is Music, Vinyl Fetish. There's also a decent place in Echo Park just a few doors down from The Echo (forget the name). I know there's lots more, but I do most of my shopping online.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I didn't know we had some trance/house heads on here - looks like I may have more in common with you folks than I originally thought! :)

I've been wanting to pick up some technics 1200's for some time now, but things seem to keep getting in the way. Lately, it's been this thing called an elise...

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
gmoneyjive said:
Lately, it's been this thing called an elise...
Except that the said elise with the engine rumble as background would serve very nicely for a some house in twisties and some trance on cross country. Since this thread has been hijacked...what do you guys listen to? It's getting harder and harder to find some decent stuff, almost as if they are all becoming cookie cutter mixes.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
BrianK said:
what, you don't like those? Funny, no one else really seems to like them either. ;)
Didn't say I didn't like them. Just haven't seen them for a long, long time (I graduated in '75). BTDT. But they do work fine, are flexible, and inexpensive. ;)

Just don't use cinder blocks to hold your car up...:no:

Tim Mullen

·
Supporting Vendor
4,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BrianK said:
... but I do most of my shopping online.
Which shops? I had to order records from the UK and the Netherlands. Any decent US based shops?

I like the industrial nature of your stands....sure beats the heck out my 'goin'-on-a-picnic' table cloth!

Another question; How do I create an MP3 from my mixes? Do I first record to tape and then transfer it? What software/hardware is needed? I'm quite clueless. But I sure know how to dial up a wicked backspin....

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I believe you can just export the sound directly out of the mixer into your computer and use software to record it. My guess is you have to buy a wire or piece of hardware for your PC. Depends on your specific setup I guess. There is also a digital turn table of sorts, that takes input from your computer in the form of MP3, and lets you spin the turn table as if the MP3 were on the record.

As you can tell, I'm not really sure what I'm talking about...just going off things I saw on my friend's Technics setup.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
shinoo said:
Which shops? I had to order records from the UK and the Netherlands. Any decent US based shops?
http://www.psyshop.com/
http://www.planetxusa.com/
http://www.sonicgroove.com
http://www.groovetech.com/ (haven't ordered from them in a while)

I like the industrial nature of your stands....sure beats the heck out my 'goin'-on-a-picnic' table cloth!
well, that's actually the reason I still use them - they're more stable than anything short of a built-in bar. I should cover them with something though. ;)
Another question; How do I create an MP3 from my mixes? Do I first record to tape and then transfer it? What software/hardware is needed? I'm quite clueless. But I sure know how to dial up a wicked backspin....
You should be able to run the line out of your mixer into the line in on your computer & then use your favorite audio editing software to record the audio & write the mp3 (or whatever other format you desire).

You can go pretty far with sound quality on this section - it can get as expensive to record as it was to buy your setup. That said, you can still use the little line-in that comes on all computers these days & it will get the job done. However, if you get serious about it, you might want to get a decent audio card. I've got an Echo Mia that has balanced 1/4" inputs & pretty high signal/noise ratio. I picked it up for about $250. I run XLR out of the mixer to balanced quarter inch inputs on the computer - it sounds fantastic. You can go quite a bit further if you're anal and have deep pockets.

If you need recording software, send me a private message - I can suggest a couple titles for you. ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
BrianK said:

You can go pretty far with sound quality on this section - it can get as expensive to record as it was to buy your setup. That said, you can still use the little line-in that comes on all computers these days & it will get the job done. However, if you get serious about it, you might want to get a decent audio card. I've got an Echo Mia that has balanced 1/4" inputs & pretty high signal/noise ratio. I picked it up for about $250. I run XLR out of the mixer to balanced quarter inch inputs on the computer - it sounds fantastic. You can go quite a bit further if you're anal and have deep pockets.
Or if you'd rather not have your computer right next to you while you work, for around the same money you can pick up a standalone audio CD recorder, record to CDRW, walk down the hall and rip it to your hard disc from your CD-ROM drive. Not a perfect solution either, but cheaper and certainly lower-tech. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts