The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was close to calling this a review but I dont have the technical expertise to make power claims or even design clams. What I do have is 10 years of experience repairing cars and installing aftermarket parts. I couldnt find anyone on the forums that owned or tried one but found people bashing them based on hearsay. So here goes.

The header and decat is relatively cheap (around $300) with a lifetime guarentee. It showed up with a small bracket brace to help support the header while bolted up and hardware. I did a quick inspection of the welds and found them to relatively well done... The tubing felt very thin but I have found most stainless headers are pretty thin. The flange is seriously thick and I checked it with a straight edge and it was flat. The only gripe I had pre installation was with the cylinder 1 and 2 runners. They werent perfectly lined up with the mounting flange and will provide some level of restriction. The size is still far better than stock so I was not concerned. Had I paid $1000 for a header I would of sent it back for this reason though. The decat was nice looking and has a bumped out section with a perforated stainless liner. It sort of looks like a catalytic. Makes me think someone did some kind of engineering on this thing as its an extra step to weld this piece in. I wrapped it in heatwrap as I have found 180 degree loops like this to get really really hot. This header has no provisions for blocking off the air injeciton ports on the head. I tapped the head (5/16-18 I beleive) and installed plugs. This works great, but is another step in the install. See picture below where the top of the header flange meets the head, the holes are partially covered. I bolted the header up and test fit everything before tightening and everything lined up fine with good clearence. I did have to bend the bracket that supports the header off the block and clearence it for a bolt but this took about 20 minutes and looked good when I was done. The Header to decat posed a bit of a problem because the hardware spring kit they sent was way to short. I had to go buy bolts about an inch longer and make some deformed thread lock nuts. When I was done it looked like it was supposed to and most importantly sealed well. I started the vehicle up and tested it for leaks. The pipe diameter mated up to my muffler perfectly. I have seen people say the fitment on these can be questionable. I found that I needed about 20 minutes of fiddling and a run to the hardware store. This header is in no way to the level of some of the competitors but for me was a good low priced option when I needed to conserve on this build. (putting this header on saved enough money to justify installing a LSD while the trans was out).

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts