The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SORRY,

I am happy about learning a Dumb and Dumber sequal is in the works...

AND I actually opened the Elise driver's side door the other day, and this bolt fell out! (My panels do not have the velcro on the bottom, they are loose at the bottom...velcro is there, just never had a backing tape removed)

I suppose it is possible it was picked up from the street and lodged in the door somehow, but based on how clean and untarnished it appears, I believe it came from my car.

Is this part of the window mechanism?

Thanks! Scott in Colorado

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

WOW. I guess I am a member of the club now!

I loosened the door panel last week and was unable to see anything that seemed to be missing a bolt. Based on the above thread, I buy the 99% chance it is behind the major door hinge and will simply fall out again.

Brilliant.

...I see we're the proud owners of the exclusive limited 06' Lotus Exige Lose Bolt Edition. Our Exiges must be assembled by the same guy, LOL!! So, have you ever opened the door panel and see it came from there? ...
I will keep it as a momento as another member mentioned in the above post!:clap:

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I would double check in the areas of bolts highlighted with yellow and to avoid these bolts from falling off again I would use the right size lock washer instead of the star/stock small washer between the bolt and the big flat washer, that should take care of the problem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I like how one member provides a link to a thread that gives no help at all and another member provides diagrams and pictures to all the places it could have came from.

Thanks Render, we need more folks like you on the internetz.

The sad part is it probably took both members the same amount of time to search and find what they wanted to post.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
go Renderman! You are the man! (rendered or not).

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I like how one member provides a link to a thread that gives no help at all and another member provides diagrams and pictures to all the places it could have came from.

The sad part is it probably took both members the same amount of time to search and find what they wanted to post.
Apologies for the quasi-thread jack, but I just purchased a MkV VW R32 and I've been frequenting / lurking a couple of VW forums as I get up to speed. I'm amazed at the relative lack of technical detail and knowledge on a vehicle that's been around for 4+ years. Not bagging on those other forums as much as I'm reaffirming what a great place LT is. Props to all here that are adding value on a daily basis.

Now if only Lotus could get their fasteners to remain, well, uh... Fastened.

Back to your regularly scheduled loose fastener programming. Happy Thursday y'all.

For an on-topic aside, I sure would want to make sure that fastener was replaced to back from whence it came. The idea of a hinge or door beam bolt missing is disconcerting and if it's a window track / mechanism fastener I imagine it's absence could portend some eventual window operation failure?

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts

What's so hard about bumping the existing thread and asking for more info there? I swear to God 99% of the people on this forum think they're the first person to ever have their turn signal pop out, drop their keys in the trunk, want wider tires, wonder if these are good daily cars and on and on and on. It's starting to feel like the Bill Murray movie, Groundhog's Day, around here. 😒🔫

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
What happened was that you drove past a reflective building and your Elise saw its own reflection- felt fat and decided it needed to lose some weight.

In all actuality, your Elise feels as if it's not light enough and it's trying to shed off extra pounds.. ounce by ounce.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My vote is:
1) It is not an internal door bolt (How did it get out of the door?)
2) It is the fender washer that is accessed by opening the door. I don't have time to go through the svc manual but look up front clam replacement. It has diagrams.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate Renderman posting the diagrams: I am printing them and will take the time to pull my door panel apart and look through all the possible candidates for missing bolts. He also PM'd me with assistance...thank you.

As far as groundhogs day, and recurring questions/ issues: I have seen the same on many forums, sorry to post a recurring event. I DID search, came up with lots of info on door panel removal (I was unaware of the aft clip on the panel, for instance) but did NOT find a thread on parrot heads falling off...er, bolts falling out of doors.

When the january link was added to this thread (above) I felt a bit lame when I saw the OP on that thread even posted a macro picture of the bolt next to a coin (just like I did in this thread)

Sorry to be redundant....again!

BUT, thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Thanks folks, because it is very difficult to see inside the doors, you can stick your hand in there with a cell phone or small automatic camera (flash on) and snap some shots to get a better look, just a thought...

·
hello
284 Posts
Same thing happened to me and it was from the ones acting as window stops. Do not operate the window until you look at the positions in rendermans diagrams. It is very easy to take out the door cover, just remember the screw at the bottom is pozidriv and not Phillips. There is room for a bolt to fall through the door, there is actually a tiny hole in the bottom front.

If you take out the cover, you might also adjust the window to align better. That is a win even if the bolt was not from there.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for all the help; Renderman, the diagrams were very helpful!!

I found where the loose bolt belonged!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts