The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met a guy this weekend at a 'crusie-in' with a very nice '59 Bugeye Sprite. Proper, in that most of the parts were original, but he appropriately improvised as one often needs to do with older British cars.

As he was looking over my Exige, he commented that he has owned 4 Lotus, and currently owns one. He's owned two 7's, and two 23's, including his current 23B .

He sold his 23 two years ago to help pay for his oldest daughter's college education. He's trying to hang onto his 23B, needing restoration, and not sell it for his other daughter's education.

Hell, I'll pitch in for him to keep it, as long as I can help with the restoration and do some ride alongs at VIR or Summit Point...

The 23B is my all time favorite Lotus..banned at LeMans even with its tiny engine. Chapman vowed that Lotus would never compete at LeMans again (as a manufacturer). It never has.

Image:1965Lotus23b.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The 23B is a fantastic car :bow:

So what is your Ultimate Lotus?

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The 23B is a fantastic car :bow:

So what is your Ultimate Lotus?
Whichever one I own. Currenntly it's an AR 05 Elise and Canyon Red 07 Exige S, but the Elise will be going to a very good home this weekend. Serendipity has put 9 of them in my garage(s) over the last 30+ years.

But the 23B is truly my favorite Lotus of all.

Although Lotus has gone through so many ownership changes...Chapman, a piece to Toyota, GM, Artioli, Proton...Classic Lotus is still owned by the Chapmans while the auto manufacturer is Proton...it's fun to look at the Elise and Exige (and now Evora), and note that the same nose badge was on cars driven by Moss, Hill, Walker, Clark, Andretti, Mansell, Fittipaldi, Senna, Bundy, Newman, Pilgrim, Gurney, and others. Cars that won at Indy, LeMans, 7 Formula Championships, and hundreds of individual races over the years. Oh yeah, driven by #6 (KAR 120C), Mrs. Peal, Tara Reid, Julia Roberts, Richard Gere, Laura Croft, Richard Grieco, and James Bond, too! AND it was featured in Honey I Shrunk the Kids! (M100 Elan).

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
The 23 is on the very short list of cars I'd like to own, say, after a lottery win.

The nitpicker in me is compelled to point out that penultimate means 'next to last' though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts