The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As is typical, recent political discussion here turned sour. I believe it is possible to discuss politics without name calling or creating hard feelings. More importantly, I believe it is possible to learn something from others and broaden our political understanding, even from those who we generally don't agree with.

This is my thread. And if anyone cares to share your thoughts, please abide by my rules:

1. No name calling and try to avoid labels.

2. Instead of suggesting that others simply don't get it, either explain your understanding or ask what has led us to our conclusions.

3. Please try to keep your explanations brief and to the point. Be pithy.

I know this doesn't sound like much fun. This thread may be dead and gone tomorrow for lack of interest, or we may find that people refuse to abide by the rules. Oh well, it is an experiment after all.

Feel free to bring up any political topic that concerns you. But, please pose your concern in a way that respects others and welcomes us to share our own insights.

Where to start? Anyone have a difficult time understanding how so many others have arrived at an opposing viewpoint?

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Although I NEVER talk about politics to anyone, it IS in fact pretty cool that either way, a minority will be in the white house.

( P.S......I'm voting for this guy as always )

Attachments

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
I pledge to abide by your rules Todd, or at least I'll try.:)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Fodder for Epic Fail thread later on. Nice effort though. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Although I NEVER talk about politics to anyone, it IS in fact pretty cool that either way, a minority will be in the white house.
+1

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Fodder for Epic Fail thread later on. Nice effort though. :)
rotflrotfl

How 'bought this,
Try to start every post with an...
"I see your point about.." before starting in on some one.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
in before the lock

·
Registered
112 Posts
Russell hit the nail on the head.

Where to start? Anyone have a difficult time understanding how so many others have arrived at an opposing viewpoint?
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way."
Bertrand Russell

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."
Bertrand Russell

"It is a waste of energy to be angry with a man who behaves badly, just as it is to be angry with a car that won't go."
Bertrand Russell

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so."
Bertrand Russell

"If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years."
Bertrand Russell

"I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine."
Bertrand Russell

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it IS in fact pretty cool that either way, a minority will be in the white house.
Of course, we shouldn't judge candidates by their race or gender, but it can have a bearing. For example, it is often considered unacceptable for those in the majority to discuss minority issues.

As president, Senator Obama would be in a unique position to take on the issue of race. Blacks are failing in the system at a higher rate than others. As a white man, I know that it is often not considered acceptable for me to discuss the possible reasons why and how this might best be addressed.

Whether or not Obama could make much of a difference, I don't know.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Of course, we shouldn't judge candidates by their race or gender, but it can have a bearing. For example, it is often considered unacceptable for those in the majority to discuss minority issues.

As president, Senator Obama would be in a unique position to take on the issue of race. Blacks are failing in the system at a higher rate than others. As a white man, I know that it is often not considered acceptable for me to discuss the possible reasons why and how this might best be addressed.

Whether or not Obama could make much of a difference, I don't know.
I've had a long held belief that in the it took a Democrat, in the person of Bill Clinton, to reform welfare, because a Republican would seem mean-spirited. In the same way, I figured the first African American or woman to occupy the White House, would be a Republican, as a minority candidate from the Democratic party would be seen by some voters as too closely tied to minority issues only. I'm not saying I agree with that statement in regard to Obama, just a hunch I had. We'll see, I guess.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
And, of course, women are not a minority. ;) A group that has experienced lots of discrimination over the years, but not a minority. Either way the election turns out, it's about time.

Tom

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
And, of course, women are not a minority. ;) A group that has experienced lots of discrimination over the years, but not a minority. Either way the election turns out, it's about time.

Tom
Excellent point, Tom, excellent point.

I concur.:D

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And, of course, women are not a minority. ;) A group that has experienced lots of discrimination over the years
Good point. As a marketer, we have learned that women are largely responsible for some 80-90% of purchasing decisions. Young girls have caught up with, if not surpassed, the boys scholastically, and they are moving into positions of power in record numbers.

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but discrimination against men is already here and it's growing. We men mostly shrug this off and don't care. But, someday we might.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gratuitious Car Reference

We have learned that women are largely responsible for some 80-90% of purchasing decisions.
We men used to choose the car the family drove. Present company excluded (I think), most men have relinquished this decision to their wives. :)

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
We men used to choose the car the family drove. Present company excluded (I think), most men have relinquished this decision to their wives. :)
That explains why they buy their husbands Hummers. So they don't have to perform them.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
I think it can still be said that relative to presidents, women are indeed a minority, even if not so in the general population.

Anyone who disagrees with me is a total idiot.

:) Just kidding.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Present company definitely excluded, I'd say. :) I only have two indulgences that no one will tell me what to do or what to get - cars and electronics - and I make that quite evident from the get-go. I'm pretty much agreeable about everything else.

But, I do agree with your assessment regarding male discrimination; it's already here. All you have to do is watch TV for any given period of time. The guy in any sit-com is typically portrayed as a complete fustercluck (usually a slob at that), while his wife is the only one who can maintain any sense or order. Same thing goes for many commercials featuring a husband and wife.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Interesting thread idea. Let's see if it holds!

So my first contribution is the latest polling news...

Obama has hit 50% for the first time since becoming the presumptive nominee.

Gallup Daily: Obama Hits 50% for First Time

I wonder if all of the Sarah Palin drama is hurting McCain's numbers.

1 - 20 of 332 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.