The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a bunch of work chasing noises coming from the front of the car. A lot of this was informed by things I read on existing threads, but a few I have not seen mentioned before. Mods I wasn't sure whether this should be on an existing thread instead, feel free to move.
  • I was getting an intermittent clunk from the right front going over low speed bumps.
    • Installed EliseParts brake pad buffers (top only, bottom were still good). They told me it is okay to have top and bottom buffers if there's still enough room for the pads. My experience was similar to this thread: Finally got rid of the clicking, rattling and thumping
    • Installed new brake pad anti-rattle clip kits, EliseParts claims the springs get weaker over time
  • One of the rivet nuts for fastening my front undertray was very loose. I was unable to re-expand it and decided to temporarily fasten it with some clear silicone until I get around to drilling/cuutting it out and replacing.
  • Found stray bolt rattling around in right door hinge area. Thread here if you're curious Another mystery bolt
  • Secured AC drain tube with an adhesive tie wrap base
  • Secured a bunch of loose wiring and hoses behind fender liners
    • Replaced a broken clip with a zip tie securing the passenger side wheel speed sensor wire to the brake hose
    • Taped aerial wires to underside of clam
    • Secured side indicator light wires
      • Hood Automotive exterior Gas Wood Machine
    • Rearranged headlight wiring to reduce chance of connectors rattling. I could probably do something more permanent here in the future
    • Secured 3 out of 4 clips that hold the oil cooler hoses to the underside of the clam. Couldn’t get front left to fasten
  • Stuff under the passenger-side front access panel
    • The fan control module seems to move around too much on its mount. I wrapped a zip tie around it to try and reduce this movement
    • The lid of the fusebox was too loose. I added a few layers of electrical tape on the sides of the fusebox to stop the lid from being able to move around
  • Finally, these are some things I checked but did not seem to be loose
    • Checked torque of the front damper bracket bolts
    • Tried to move steering rack tie rod ends by hand, no play found
    • Checked front wheel bearings even though new
    • Checked front clam mounting bolts (except ones under headlights)
  • I also replaced all my undertray and diffuser fasteners with the kit from SpeedyFasteners that includes plastic anti-rattle washers. It's possible this had some effect too.
I realize this is subjective, but the car does seem significantly quieter at the front when going over bumps. The clunking from the front right is completely gone (likely it was the brake pads), and overall there is much less "stuff moving around" / "stuff falling apart" kind of noises when going over bumps.

Over the winter I'm planning to work my way through the interior and rear of the car looking for similar small fixes I can make.

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
I'll have to try some of your ideas up under access panel and fender liner before attacking the dash.

Reactions: elisefan888

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the stuff under the fender liners, I see spots where it looks like things may have been pretty well secured from the factory. But maybe things were detached in a past clam-off service and not reattached properly. For example, I think this little bracket above the oil cooler is probably to anchor one of the headlight connectors. The square hole is the right size for a fir tree zip tie anchor.
Automotive design Gas Tints and shades Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
Chasing noise is always very complicated. Thanks for all your hints.

Any experience about those Anti-Rattle Door Striker Pins. I fell on it recently and it was new to me.... I do have a lot of rattles coming from my doors, my windows guide are probably worn too.
There's a member from your neck of the woods selling anti rattle guides printed from self lubing plastic here and on FB. You can find them in the Parts FS

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started looking into some interior rattles around the steering column trim. Turns out one of the tabs on the upper cowl (#2 in diagram) had broken off along with the spirenut (#6) and was just bouncing around inside the lower trim (#3). I also found that #43 has a tab broken off and is able to rattle against the aluminum of the dash.

Even with the tabs intact, it seems like all 4 of those teardrop-shaped trim pieces on the shelf have too much play in them. I want to figure out something to hold them in place better.
White Organism Font Line Auto part

1 - 7 of 7 Posts