The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 2010, I met an old timer at the MicroCar show who had a beat up rusty car called a Mini Moke. I'd never heard of one. Turns out that Mini made a beach buggy car for years in various places under various marques (Austin, Leyland).

Fast forward to last April and I bought it off the guy. Had it restored over the winter (did some of the cosmetic work myself) and here it is. Crazy fun!

Recap:

1969 Leyland Mini Moke with 1098CC 4. 38hp. Originally manufactured and lived in Australia.

Highlights of resto:

- This is a resto-mod. NOT done to original spec. Too damn hard. Mokes originally had a folding canopy (like a Bimini top on a boat). Pointless as it didn't cover the side. I opted not for that as the car won't be driven in rain.

- Body was completely restored - tons of panel beating, new floors and lots of patching. In plain English, it was beat to sh*t. The floors literally had 2" wide holes running the length of the car. New windscreen frame. Painted in Jaguar 'French Racing Blue'. Body undercoated and rustproofed.

- Sub frame (Minis done have a true chassis) had a small crack. Was repaired, cleaned and painted black.

- New roll bar.

- Repaired bumpers with trailer hitch (for small hitch carrier I'm fabbing up).

- Custom tow bracket. I use an A Frame and flat tow the Moke behind my Jeep.

- Seats reupholstered in vinyl.

- Custom carpets patterned and cut by me. Material is jute marine stuff that the shop that did my interior had leftover from another job. Paid them a few bucks to bind the carpet.

- Car was converted back to RHD. Mechanically sound. Need to address the shifter next year, but the only work we did mechanically was a bigger radiator. Brakes and exhaust were fine. New shocks.

- Gas tank had a small leak. Was flushed and repaired.

- New wiring harness. As you can see, the wiring that was hacked before was dreadful.

- Custom installed stereo - yep, a stereo. Sony head unit (with hidden iPod) mounts underneath dash. Speakers in dash. I fabbed a custom 'speaker box' for the area behind the seats. It houses the rear speakers, small amp and small sub. Dynamatted and covered in black marine vinyl.

- Rollbar, bumpers, grill, wheels/covers painted white.

- Custom fabbed dash. Mokes originally had no dashes. Just a multi gauge (no tach). I had a custom dash fabbed which houses gauges, choke, ignition, speakers and even a storage cubby which houses a cheap 12v outlet for an iPhone charger. New 11" Mountney wheel. Killed the wipers/motor - pointless in a car like this.

- Custom tabbed some ABS panels to cover the side 'boxes' to protect from wear and tear.

- Proper retractable lap belts added including 3 for the rear.

It's fun as hell and this tiny little car can fit 3 in back and two in front!

The first few pics are how I first saw it and what it looked like when I bought it.

What's left:

- Custom cover being made

- Address the shifter rod and diff. Have to double clutch and need a better solution for the placement of the shifter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
why go for the conversion back to RHD? Doesnt that make it harder to drive.

I like it. Reminds me of a buggy at our company car show. Looks brand new! What do you use it for? what is its 0-60? Or does it even get up that high :D? Nice Plates and the cover saves you the time of telling people what it is and answers a probably very asked question!!!

Next time at a stop light with some american muscle car, rev your engine!!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Answers:

RHD - a) because that's the way the car started it's life. It WANTS to be RHD and b) just because. It's more fun this way. Car is so damn goofy and smile inducing, why not go full monty? :) It's no harder to drive. Honestly, took me about 5 minutes to get used to shifting with my left hand. If you can drive manual with right hand (I've been doing so for 25 years), you can figure left hand in no time.

Buggy - yep, they are actually used quite a bit as paddock cars at tracks. Saw two at Road America last year for the vintage races.

Use - I use it for just banging around. I have 8 year old twin boys and a two year old son. It's a blast. I live in a subdivision with lakes/creeks/etc and my kids are addicted to frogs/fishing/etc. We take it almost every day to catch critters. Today took the kids to Lowes and Dicks' for errands and then to Jimmy John's for lunch. Basically, just for bumming around.

0-60 - no idea. It's actually kinda peppy. Keep in mind that it's all classic Mini Cooper - sub frame, engine, suspension, brakes, etc. Minis are known for being peppy and having great handling. It's not fast, but I keep up in traffic. Tops out probably around 70mph (speedo is in KMh).

Plates/Cover - precisely! The NUMBER ONE question I get, and it's usually framed this way - 'what the hell is that'? So, my plate tells them. Number two question - is is street legal. So my plate tells them! Then I say 'Mini made some beach buggies - this is one - google it! Although, someone asked me if worked in IT at Google! :)

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Saw a Moke during the British Car Day at the Larz Anderson Museum (http://larzanderson.org/) last Sunday. I believe it was in worse condition than yours, before the restoration.
Your Moke looks great. Nice job, I also love the plate;-)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
First off I want to say excellent job! I like the right hand drive conversion also. I have always been a fan of "unique" cars, hence the Elise was added to my stable. For my next venture I was thinking of either a Mini or a Frindolin. I just love being different!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Me too. I love funky stuff.

My 'dream' funky car is a Messerschmitt KR200. Frankly though, they go for about $28K!

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
Me too. I love funky stuff.

My 'dream' funky car is a Messerschmitt KR200. Frankly though, they go for about $28K!

I bet your Moke is worth a pretty penny based on the resto-mod you gave it!
Very nice job!!:clap:

And, having to double clutch...everytime I shift the '39 Crosley I have to double clutch. Really takes some getting used to.:panic:

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
Great car!! I had one when I was at Uni (pre digital - will have to search the photo albums to see if I have a photo I can scan). Mine was the top of the line one (which is always a bit of a laugh) - it was called a "Californian" and had the 1275cc motor, front disk brakes, and 13" wheels. I had the full canvas roof including side curtains which was very in Sydney... with them up in the rain you stayed "mostly" dry ;)

why go for the conversion back to RHD? Doesnt that make it harder to drive.
the seats in the Moke are right together and well inboard the car (just like the Elise!) so RHD or LHD is only a distance of about 16" :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts