The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for the right cup holder. There are some great options but many are too expensive when I still have more pressing mods, and something from the parts store just doesn't seem right. Plus, I figure that given time I'll get to see many of them in person. These reasons and the fact that I can't justify tools if I don't use them...

I have around $25 in this, but some of that is in multi-pack items. A well stocked parts drawer could easily produce this for much less. It is 3/4 square mild steel tubing, a 2 1/2 inch pvc conduit connector, and assorted hardware. The PVC section has a threaded adapter which i attached by heating with a torch and pulling into place. The connector angles into the seat rail on the passenger floor, then snaps down into place. It is held in place by gravity and a decently solid connection around the seat rail screw. The rubber grommet stops most vibration.

I've taken a few drives with it, and it is very solid even during spirited driving. Empty, it does not interfere with a passenger, and is easily removable for any serious driving. It's not silent, but is one of the least noticeable rattles in my car. :tadts:

The cup holder in place.

Attachment point

Top view

Bottom view

I thought on this for weeks, and owe a thank you to the others who have wanted coffee before me. This is nowhere near as elegant as SwingLo's mod, but the thread below was obviously an inspiration.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f92/finally-best-cupholder-89417/

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I like it - can't say I've seen this done before. How do drinks hold up to sloshing? My biggest problem is that with my morning coffee, you have to drive like a grandma, otherwise the torque causes some spill.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried it yesterday on a pretty vigorous 15 mile drive. I took two or three good slugs from a 12 oz can of seltzer then set off. Despite tight turns and serious undulations it never spilled a drop. But according to Dynolicious I pulled over .90 Gs in all directions except acceleration. Maybe one day I can test that direction too! ;)
I'm convinced that with a few sips gone, or an up-sized cup the design is sound. The can was quiet until the drink was almost gone.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
nice work.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I like it!

I have been thinking something very similar, but instead of mounting to the seat rail I was wondering if I made sort of a low tension leaf spring that you would push/wedge under the passenger seat. That way I could remove it quickly if I have company.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It just snaps in, no tools at all. It takes maybe 5 seconds to install or remove. There are many ways to improve this design, but easy removal is way down the list. But I haven't figured out where to store it yet.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha! The elise now has some steel parts!

Aluminum or bust. Nice prototype though.
I looked at aluminum, but I am not set up to weld it. Also the tubing I found has sharper corners and will not slide in the seat rails. It's substantial, but still weighs less than the drink it's holding. Plus, if you ever meet me, you'll see that I have more pressing weight savings to work on!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
i did one that was very similar.

Mine took it a step further - the 'cup holder' part was removable (slide into a open circle) and it had a swivel so if you have a passenger or not using it, you remove the cup holder part and stick it on the back firewall shelf. Then you slide the bracket arm under the seat and out of the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts