The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....and I'll bet yours is, too! :huh:

Today, I noticed that the liner is separating from the plastic side-bar, toward the front end of the driver's side. The liner is mounted in a gap in the side-bar, and the front third has simply come out. Not sure how it's held in there -- I see traces of glue, but there must be more to it than that.

So then I looked at the passenger side, and while it's still fully in the gap, a very slight tug at the front end was enough to start pulling it out.

So my guess is, a lot of you will start seeing the same problem.

Here are the pics -- one shows the liner separated from the side-bar. The other clearly shows the gap in the side bar where the liner is supposed to be mounted.

Bummer. :(

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As usual, I can't get the pics to post. :(

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Silver bullet's came loose soon after he got it, the glue coverage wasn't quite sufficient on the one side. Got some of the 3m strong spray adhesive, I think it's for headliners. Seemed to do the trick,

Chris

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I would like to see the pics too. I thought I noticed something on my top last week.

·
shay2nak
25,130 Posts
is this part of the softtop?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
shay,
it's the insulated blanket type thing for the soft top. It is glued and fitted into the gap noted there.
Chris

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zvezdah1 said:
Silver bullet's came loose soon after he got it, the glue coverage wasn't quite sufficient on the one side. Got some of the 3m strong spray adhesive, I think it's for headliners. Seemed to do the trick,

Chris
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised it's held just by glue.

I don't think I'll mess with it myself -- I'll leave it to Lotus. Ah, the beauty of a warranty! :D

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Pin,
Yep, I'd definately have the dealer fix it. It was just too much hassle to drive 2+ hours so helped silver bullet fix it.
Chris

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
pinmagic said:
Re: My Roof Liner is Coming Apart....
....and I'll bet yours is, too!
I'll take that bet. I can state categorically that my roof liner is not coming apart - I don't have one.:p One advantage of not having the Touring Package.

But I do have one question: What's the roof? I haven't had mine on yet...:D

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
bobbyd said:
All the more reason to skip the "touring" package.
This morning it was 36 degrees in the DFW area, the touring soft top works great specially if it gets colder than that.

No problem with my soft top (touring) and it's been on and off many times since it's been raining on and off.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: Re: My Roof Liner is Coming Apart....

TimMullen said:
But I do have one question: What's the roof? I haven't had mine on yet...:D
Did you drive yours today? Good day for topless motoring!:D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Re: Re: Re: My Roof Liner is Coming Apart....

rob said:
Did you drive yours today? Good day for topless motoring!:D
Nope. Today, I had to drive my "Beater" - my '94 Miata R package. No reason to expose the Elise to all the idiot drivers around here...

(For those that don't know, it's been raining rather hard all day.)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, so I took the car to Criswell last week. They said this is the 2nd one to have this problem. Given how few cars there are in the DC area, I'd say that's an indication of a problem. The warranty manager said he'd be calling Lotus to tell them they need to redesign this pronto.

Anyway, I asked if they'd be sending it to an auto upholstery shop to be repaired, and they said they'd just order me a new one. A few days later, it arrived, and I picked it up today. Seems a shame to replace it rather than fix it -- it retails for $1400! But that was their decision.

The new one is MUCH tighter than the old one -- fitting it in place takes a lot more "oomph". But I guess that's a good thing, tho maybe it will loosen up a bit with use.

Anyone else having a problem with their liner?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, interestingly, the replacement roof doesn't have that huge, ugly sticker that was on the passenger-side side rail of the original roof that came with the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine completely pulled out of the passenger side first time I put it on. There is almost no glue residue on it.

The drivers side is nice and tight.

I've stuffed it back in several times, but it just slides right back out. Not the greatest design for sure.

If it would stop raining, it really wouldn't bother me (or if I could carry the hard top)...

·
Duke
241 Posts
This is an old thread which was remedied for the most part when Lotus semi-recalled the soft tops and replaced them with a version that supplemented the glue with rivets. If yours is an old top, you should take it to the dealer and they will replace it. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts