The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got "the call!" My ST/Red/Touring/Hardtop has been built and arrives in port Saturday 9-25. Bracing myself for ground transportation delays, but maybe they have gotten that under control ... (please??)

I am # 8 at Valenti in CT, for those keeping box scores

Anyone else arriving on that boat?

Yea!!!!!

Steve :clap:

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Congratulations Steve ! As a point of reference, can you tell us when you got on the list at your dealer, and what your place (number) in your dealer's order list you ended up at ?

Thanks, Mike G.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mikester said:
Congratulations Steve ! As a point of reference, can you tell us when you got on the list at your dealer, and what your place (number) in your dealer's order list you ended up at ?

Thanks, Mike G.
Mike, Valenti was not taking orders until October 03 (I foolishly thought that was the case everywhere else, and did not call around), so I got on the list October 03.

I'm pretty sure that I stayed at #8 the whole time, although I'm only aware of 5 prior deliveries to my dealer. He tells me that no one dropped off.

Another reference, my serial # is in the mid 400s (last four vin numbers 04XX).

Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Ordeal

I have been on the list here in California for more than a year. I have been told various stories. Can someone tell me with any precision what the procedure is for getting a car? I ordered my car's specifics about 6-8 months ago. The last time that I called my dealer I was told that I would be hearing before long about a VIN number, and I assume that that is the next step. Once one is assigned a VIN number, how long does it take to manufacture the car, and how long after manufacture does it take to get the vehicle at the dealership? Is there a standard procedure or not? The wait is troubling. Information would be appreciated.

GJPBSP
58 Porsche Speedster
90 Porsche C4 Cabriolet
2000 Honda Insight
2004 Nissan 350Z
2002 Lexus 430
2002 Toyota Avalon

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I think that once you have a VIN the car has been built.

The date that my alarm was installed by Lotus at the factory was 2 months before I took delivery of the car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first thing you should get is a build number. Then you know your car is on the line, or about to be there.

(Mine was S24849, might help some of you trying to calculate timing)

Only after the car is built do you get a vin #. In fact, I'm told that NO dealer knows what cars are arriving until their car is actually loaded on the ship. Lotus does not have the capability to track a car through build, even the dealers cannot do this.

Supposedly they are developing a tracking system. It was ready in July :) That means it might be on line by Christmas :)

Steve

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Useful data point Patricko! Was the date on a sticker somewhere or that card that comes with the alarm? It would be useful for people to share the same to see how variable it is.

Here's the info Clyde gave at LOG and someone else (Chris?) reported here:

"The 1st notification a dealer will get on any particular car is the
estimate build week (+/- a week or more) at 60 days out from that
week."

At this point, I would imagine the car has an "order number", the "S" number. Dealers seem very cagey about this point, since you can track the car yourself with the order number if you have the right contacts/bribes at Lotus.

"Next notification to the dealer is when the car gets loaded onto a
ship. The VIN is included in this communication."

So that would be the first VIN the dealer hears about, even though the VIN is assigned at the start(?) of production and tracked that way through assembly.

"Dealer is next notified when the car gets onto a transporter from
the port prep (invoiced)."

Invoicing is a big deal, so the dealer will have all the info at that time. Even the least-informed dealership should have at least this much heads-up, which could be a week or more. This is why these instant "Hey, your car is here! Surprised us too!" calls can only come from the most disconnected salesmen.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Re: The Ordeal

gjpbsp said:
Can someone tell me with any precision what the procedure is for getting a car?
My experience: don't count on the dealer to relay all information to you. If you really must know, be a pest and call often, but no more than once a week.

I was told a build date of June. According to the sticker on the car, it was built in May. My dealer had the VIN number around the end of June (or perhaps sooner, I'm not sure). The car arrived in port around the second week in August. It arrived at the dealer the first week of September. I think these waits represent a worst-case scenario, and actual delivery times should be slightly less.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Re: The Ordeal

gjpbsp said:
Who is your dealer?

VIN is assigned at the completion of production.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
The wait certainly IS troubling:

I've been on my dealer's "interest list" since Jan/Feb. 2002 (as soon as I learned that a Federalized Elise may be a real possibility).

On their deposit list since January 2003 (as soon as I was notified that they would begin accepting deposits).

On their order list since March 2004 (Order number 27, Symbolic's LA list).

so far, no definitive word on my car's status. :(

Mike

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've been told my ship arrives @ Longbeach on 27th so it should be just ahead in the Atlantic ;)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: The Ordeal

MattG said:
My experience: don't count on the dealer to relay all information to you. If you really must know, be a pest and call often, but no more than once a week.
Just to highlight this, I sent my weekly email to my salesman yesterday asking about status. At 9 this morning, he emailed back with the same "no new infromation from Lotus." An hour later, he called with the news that the car would arrive in port on Saturday.

So he was completely in the dark during the whole time the car was being built, transported from factory to port, loaded on the ship, etc. Until 10 this morning, for all he knew the car was not even on the manufacturing line yet.

Does not make a lot of sense in the "information age," but that's the way it is.

Steve

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Useful data point Patricko! Was the date on a sticker somewhere or that card that comes with the alarm? It would be useful for people to share the same to see how variable it is.
Yes it was hand written on the alarm code card that is on the key ring.

Installed 5th of July delivered 3rd of September.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Steve said:
(Mine was S24849, might help some of you trying to calculate timing)
Don't think the Lotus Order #s are sequential. My order # is S24633 and I was told it should be here sometime in Oct. Unless of course it has already been built and is in route...Hey, one can dream a little right?!:rolleyes: ;) :D

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Steve said:
Well, just got "the call!" My ST/Red/Touring/Hardtop has been built and arrives in port Saturday 9-25. Bracing myself for ground transportation delays, but maybe they have gotten that under control ... (please??)

I am # 8 at Valenti in CT, for those keeping box scores

Anyone else arriving on that boat?

Yea!!!!!

Steve :clap:
Steve: Bill told me 'early on' that 8 customer cars were due in by Sept.. Then, when English reported in July that the final portion of the first wave of cars were being pushed back to 'End Of Oct. Delivery' it makes sense when I read your expected arrival time. I was originally #13 but moved up to #12
by Bill Reudgen when someone dropped out. I first placed my order on Nov. 10th and have just recently been
given a November build-date from Bill.
He originally expected 19 cars by the end of the year, or end of Jan. 05 but
I have only heard about #14 being the
last given November build-date. I would expect that car to be arriving
somewhere in late Dec. or Jan and perhaps that '19 expected' amount was downsized to '14 expected'. I
believe Valenti will average about 3 cars per month after the year end total mentioned by me previously....or possibly 4. Good luck with your 'E'.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts