The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been considering doing something to make my car accelerate faster since I got it. While considering the options with Bavarian Motorist, I mentioned the possibility of adding a nitrous kit to his car. It seems like a reasonable combination of easy, cheap, safe and effective, but it isn't something I thought a lot about.

So, I started reading through the old threads and doing some price shopping. I also remembered a local guy who has a 75 shot in his '05 Elise. I sent him an email earlier this evening and he agreed to bring his car over so that we could compare overall feel. (Of course, he can compare performance directly just by shutting off his nitrous.)

Holy cow, is Jason's car fast. I climbed in and he took me down the highway. We took turns driving each other's cars and at one point we had a short, side by side burst. For 2 seconds, my car appeared in my peripheral vision, and then it was headlights in the mirrors. Never before have I broken the law so quick - figuratively and literally.

I've had 2 beers and 30 minutes to think about, and I'm going to spill my thoughts into this thread. I'll buy a kit over the weekend, perhaps used or new. I'm typing up my rationale for a couple of reasons, but primarily because doing so helps me think things out. Also, Bavarian Motorist might read this and come around. -poke-

Easy to install: Apparently, the worst part of the install is running the wires from the cab into the engine bay/trunk. After that, it is mounting your bottle and running hoses, etc.

Cheap: Kits start at $600 on eBay, with a variety of options that can drive the price up. A local company makes a faux speaker enclosure for the trunk to hold the bottle...that cost a little money. Maybe $1200 for the full monty. After that, you have to buy gas once in a while. A $40 bottle lasts minutes, and not hours. Of course, you accelerate 5 or 6 seconds at a time. And you don't have to use it all the time. Maybe I'll spend $40 per month on gas.

Safe: It works by shooting gas and N2O directly into the intake. This means something important to us here LT: No ECU reflash. The kits can be adjusted to change the quantity of gas and N20 that go in, so don't adjust too high. There is one safety advantage to N20 over super/turbo charging: it goes in cold and reduces combustion temperature, inhibiting predetonation. It is also easy to remove the system.

Effective: Like I described. It was like driving a whole different car. Jason claims the kit is actually more than 75 hp at the crank.

It isn't all roses, though. Buying more gas is a pain on the butt, and not cheap. You also have to actually deal with it, too. I guess it makes your car like that pyscho ex-girlfriend of yours: great in bed but high maintenance. Damn, I miss your ex-girlfriend :evil:

(as a side note, I was a little struck at how different the cars were. They're both Ardent Red. He's got '05 leather seats with the lumbar support and touring wheels. I have cloth seats and the LSS wheels and suspension. The pedals in his car were placed differently; I couldn't cover the brake and gas at the same time. I also have a weird blue light in the cabin, but that's in another rambling thread.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks

Well, your sweet sweet wheels and suspension combo eats mind for a pre-breakfast snack and the '06 has *way* better heel/toe ability than my '05, but yeah - I gotta say that I can't complain about the straight line pull of the N2O.

So, my kit is a Nitrous Express import kit, with a 75 shot. According to the manufacturer, 75 is the increased *wheel* horsepower. Crank horsepower would have it pushing 265HP with other kits, but it's probably closer to 290 or so. Someone in Austin have a dyno they'd let me use for 10 seconds? :). According to the celica guys, I'm probably dancing on the margin of the safe zone with stock internals. (EDIT - I've somewhat retracted this statement about wheel horsepower later on in the thread - I don't know how they measure it)

The whole dealy (including the bottle mount) cost me a little over $1000. I installed everything myself, with the exception of the bottle mount which was built by a local stereo installer.

The biggest worry is that 2ZZ-GE is going to last 10k more miles before unexpectedly pulling a Hiroshima on the back of my head.

Of course, anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Let me know if you want a hand installing your kit - I've learned some do's and dont's when ripping the car apart. Mostly dont's.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The biggest worry is that 2ZZ-GE is going to last 10k more miles before pulling a Hiroshima on the back of my head.
rotfl rotfl rotfl Maybe GTsRasta can post here and make you feel better about it.

Let me know if you want a hand installing your kit - I've learned some do's and dont's when ripping the car apart.
I'll find a weekend between now and late August to make it happen. If you're free, I'll buy beer and accept your kind offer.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
i too was dabbling in the thought of installing a N20 kit, either from NX or NOS, after reading this i may give it serious consideration, i just hope charlieX could chime in on the "cons" of this kit with the Gotham265 flash?

thanx for the review

is there anyway we can get pics of Jasons N20 setup???

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll find a weekend between now and late August to make it happen. If you're free, I'll buy beer and accept your kind offer.

Holy moly, I drink beer!

How did you know?!

I'm pretty tied up this week, but I'll try to throw a few pics up here by the end of this week.

Also, if the purists tell you that this isn't really a nitrous kind of car, they're right. It's useless (or dangerous) on an auto-x course, and basically around corners of any kind, but if you're sick of driving such a great car and getting your ass handed to you by Cameros in a straight line then it's something to consider.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Interesting endeavor, Chris. I still need to learn about the potential wear that n20 causes. I have heard completely conflicting views. One says it will kill your engine. Another says that's just a common misconception.

How do you activate the nitrous? Via button? Where is the button mounted?

Oh yeah, and how much does it weigh...? :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
The whole dealy (including the bottle mount) cost me a little over $1000. I installed everything myself, with the exception of the bottle mount which was built by a local stereo installer.
Is it about $70 to recharge your bottle?

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Bottle fills here are either $40 or free. lol. My first one was free, and then my idiot cousin emptied the tank when he was going to airbrush it despite me telling him not to and that it wouldn't "blow up". Arghhh.

Bav- there are 2 switches. One to arm the system, and the second on the TB or gas pedal to activate it at wide open throttle.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I ran a wet 75 shot NE for almost a year on my '05 Elise before going s/c. The linear acceleration was just amazing. I have an install/review thread on here somewhere; while now dated, it might give you some ideas. I think they might have put it in the engine/tech library.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ran a wet 75 shot NE for almost a year on my '05 Elise before going s/c.
Nice to meet you Dave - your awesome article gave me the inspiration to set it all up. :)

Is it about $70 to recharge your bottle?
It's $43 here in Austin, for 10lbs.

How do you activate the nitrous? Oh yeah, and how much does it weigh...? :D
I have a remote bottle opener system and arming switch located underneath the central locking switch (in front of the shifter). Unless you're an Elise driver, these would not be noticed at all - I'm very happy with the install.

A bottle weighs about 15lbs + 10lbs of N20. With all of the hoses, wires, faux subwoofer setup and all the rest, it's probably pushing 50lbs.

I have heard completely conflicting views. One says it will kill your engine. Another says that's just a common misconception.
Well, this is one of the reasons I wanted to drive Chris's car. Of course, any car will start to feel a little bit different over some amount of time, and I wanted to drive an unmolested Elise to make sure that the TADTS were the same, and not as a result of the N20. I think Chris and I agreed that the car didn't feel damaged or sloppy or anything, just quicker.

is there anyway we can get pics of Jasons N20 setup???
I remembered that I have a few snaps of the bottle mount. It looks like a subwoofer, but mounted on cabinet slides. Check out the link at: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/nitro-blaster-75-shot-seems-safe-36179/index3.html#post846943

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I've had 2 beers <...> He's got '05 leather seats with the lumbar support and touring wheels.
Maybe it was the beer, but you still get thwacked: :thwack:

There is no such thing as touring wheels. rotfl

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still need to learn about the potential wear that n20 causes.
I put a lot of thought into this, and concluded that engine wear will not be any different from FI, provided it is done right. Heck, it might even be better, as it cools the charge going in, reducing the chance of knock. Also, unlike a supercharger, there is no drag on the motor.

Really, the only practical effect is to add air and gas into the combustion chamber. There is no other worry about wear. N2O is not some corrosive, destructive gas. It is quite inert.

The only concern is that the nitrous system will suddenly stop adding fuel while still adding N2O. This will cause the engine to lean out and go bad. I doubt this is common in a properly done set up.

i too was dabbling in the thought of installing a N20 kit
At first thought, this seemed silly. You've got 265 hp already! Supposedly, the stock 2ZZ is supposed to be good up to 300 HP. I thought about it and decided you might get that last little bit out of it with a small nitrous kit. If nothing else, you get lower temperatures in the combustion chamber, which as I recall, is a good thing for the FI engines. I think this combination works well in drag cars.

I would check with Charlie first. I'd also be ready to ship the motor to Forcedfed after it "goes Hiroshima" and get a proper rebuild.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
haha thanx chris, 2zz engines are a dime a dozen in CA, and there are plenty of toyota builders to choose from "just in case" LOL

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Before even doing any FI, this thread should be read by all:

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=243977

Now that's out of the way, yea, you're right at the limits of the stock 2zz with a 75 shot. I heard people blew their motors as low as 35 shots. Just do what you can to supress detonation, and be careful. The TRD thermostat wouldn't be a bad idea. Good luck! And here's some more 2zz nitrous tips from a guy who has been using it for a while:

nitrous set-up awnsers - NewCelica.org Forum

I'd tone it down to a 50 shot if you're like a baby and get addicted to suckin on that bottle...

Here are some 215 whp greddy supercharger vs. 75 shot nitrous videos just to give you an idea of what type of spanking you can give to the supercharged boys :) :

NewCelica.org Forum - View Single Post - GT-S w/NOS vs. GT-S w/GReddy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I understand you have to run different plugs. How does this affect non-NOS performance?
I am running on the stock plugs, which I'm sure will cause some hand-wringing and teeth-clenching, but I've had no problems after 1.5 years and 50 bottles worth. I installed the system, started at a 35 shot, then 50 after about a week, and then 75 not long after that. I'm not willing to go any higher unless someone writes me a cashiers check for a new Elise. Please remember that nothing that I say or do is a professional recommendation, so don't treat anything as advice.

Also, I *swear* that I read a FAQ on the Nitrous Express site that said that they measure their shots in WHP and not crank HP, but for the life of me I can't find the link. So we'll assume 265HP, but nothing is for sure unless it's dyno'ed. My G-Tech RR says that I can hit 0-60 in ~4.0 seconds, compared to ~5.3 without the special sauce.

Ok, I have some pics, but they didn't really tell too complete of a story, so I made a short walkthru video of my system to explain the salient points. Please excuse my cheap videocamera and Cloverfield-esque camerawork (also, youtube seems to be confused by 16x9, so my Elise seems really tall):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bfz3ovJNdDI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bfz3ovJNdDI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have other pics if you want, available on demand. I tend to document these sorts of projects with a camera so that I remember where all the screws are supposed to go and whatnot.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jason, you should shoot video in the car as it goes. I'll operate the camera for you!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got permission from the spouse ('cause I am a good boy) to spend $1200 on this project. So, expect no shortcuts from me. If I do something much different from Jason or Dave, I'll post some notes.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts