The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...it doesn't seem overly loud while i'm driving it, but now that i'm home, boy are my ears fatigued...

...i don't think the stage II sounds as mature as the stock exhaust - it's a bit more nasal and ostentatious - but what it lacks in refinement it makes up in excitement...every single burble and pop, not to mention its sonorous bugle under load, continually remind me that i'm driving something very special and make even the most mundane maneuvers feel terribly exciting...if i didn't know better, i could easily fool myself into thinking that the car pulls harder down low, and in fact just merging through traffic feels like a deft power play...

...i think the stage II exhaust sounds best down low, especially starting and puttering about under 4000 RPM, but even up high it's not so obnoxious that i'm embarrassed to be heard...it is loud when screaming up onto the second cam, though, loud and a touch clarion...

...so - probably not for mehve, but a very fun evening nonetheless...

:shift:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Love it. It smoothes over time some (as soot fills the canister). Makes it a little less droney and better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone. I'am a new here. Sorry for my ENG.

I have also the Stage II, was already installed in my Elise.
I just drove Lotus for a couple of days ... and I did noticed that on the highway sound becomes just a bit irritating.... :(
I just adore these pups and burbles ! :) sounds amaizing ! :) just love it.... Love the noice volume..... :clap:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
FYI - The Stage II for the Exige S sounds different than the N/A Stage II...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...the supercharged cars use an entirely different exhaust design to satisfy backpressure requirements, non?..

·
Registered
63 Posts
...it doesn't seem overly loud while i'm driving it, but now that i'm home, boy are my ears fatigued...

...i don't think the stage II sounds as mature as the stock exhaust - it's a bit more nasal and ostentatious - but what it lacks in refinement it makes up in excitement...every single burble and pop, not to mention its sonorous bugle under load, continually remind me that i'm driving something very special and make even the most mundane maneuvers feel terribly exciting...if i didn't know better, i could easily fool myself into thinking that the car pulls harder down low, and in fact just merging through traffic feels like a deft power play...

...i think the stage II exhaust sounds best down low, especially starting and puttering about under 4000 RPM, but even up high it's not so obnoxious that i'm embarrassed to be heard...it is loud when screaming up onto the second cam, though, loud and a touch clarion...

...so - probably not for mehve, but a very fun evening nonetheless...

:shift:
Do you drive your car everyday? I'm thinking about getting one for my Elise but I drive my car almost everyday and I'm afraid it would be to annoying?
thoughts?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use my Elise as my daily driver durring the fair weather months. And the stage 2 is no problem for such use. Even on the highway you can find a low noise sweetspot (I forget what RPM it quiets down at). Anyway its quieter with the top off than is is with the top on. I have a removable soft top and the noice level with the top on is noticably greater.,, but still not a problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use my Elise as my daily driver durring the fair weather months. And the stage 2 is no problem for such use. Even on the highway you can find a low noise sweetspot (I forget what RPM it quiets down at). Anyway its quieter with the top off than is is with the top on. I have a removable soft top and the noice level with the top on is noticably greater.,, but still not a problem.
Thanks for the info. I need to take my hard top off soon!!! :panic:

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think that sweet spot is more likely to be load dependent than RPM dependent, i.e., grade, wind resistance, gear, etc...

Dittos on the top on vs. top off. The broker that sold me the car said that it was a stage III exhaust good for 9bhp. He sells quite a few Loti so who am I to object? :shrug: Anyway, had a close look at it (through the exhaust tip hole) and it looks nothing like I see from the usual suspects. Actually looks like a Borla except for the actual tips themselves. The pop and burble is as everyone else describes though. I've owned the car for two weeks and 2K miles and have gotten used to the drone.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
...i daily drive, yes, and i think the usual precautions for the stock exhaust apply (earplugs for extended drives or spirited runs), just moreso...over the couple of days i test drove it, burbling about my daily commute never felt tiresome in and of itself, and for all i said about it not being quite right for mehve, its siren's murmur must have sung to me in my sleep, because i'm picking up a used stage II this weekend...

...i still think the stock exit/tips are more graceful than the downward-facing stage II design, though, and one of my coworkers planted the seed of having a good exhaust shop transplant them over...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don't forget it is appreciably lighter (by around 25 lbs IIRC) than the stock unit, or 2.5 hp. Very cheap hp IMO. Mine is for sale because I sold the car without it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
l love the burps, gargles and droning of my Stage II exhaust and the crappy stereo...but then again I just spent 1 year in Afghanistan flying Chinooks with a jerry-rigged ipod connection into the intercom system...so maybe I'm warped. :D

·
2006 SportElise #9
268 Posts
You'll have to do a sound check for us at our next meet. :coolnana:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts