The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The dyno for the stock car - this is what it should look like (and does look like on a healthy car)

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
it's gonna be a 400. I saw the parts laid out for the build yesterday. Now bear in mind - this is a 400 installed on a stock, non-built motor. So, we're not tuning for 400 because we don't wanna blow up my motor. Or the tranny. I'm hoping for 300hp to the wheeels +/-, with cooler temperatures so we don't add much load to the cooling system. That was my hope anyway. I'm betting I notice the difference. I think the VVT kicks in at 4000 RPM in the new configuration, but i'm not positive. I'm also thinking that there is a possibility that vvt point might not be a point, but be smooth and progressive engagement as you climb into the power band. Rather than a switch that gives you a "kick". I'll know in a few days.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Numbers look spot on for a stock car. Looks like low 160s and 115ish

I still never understood why the cam change is tuned so crappy in the stock calibration. I'm assuming for emissions reasons or something that jump on the second cam is really pretty bad. There is a lot of torque left on the table in the 5-6.5k range just from adjusting the lift point.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
beats me. Phil & Andrew are fixin' it. :)

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Elise # 134 taken apart at BOE. Andrew working on her, Car is June 2004 build, approximately 14.5k miles on car. Looks like they have the PC-625 in its bracket for the clam hinge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
How hard does the guy in the red shirt have to pedal to get you 300WHP; bet he gets tired fast.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car handles superbly with the weight off the chassis, it's just a bit slower. The car is so powerful, apparently it dyno'd 160 hp with no motor!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Komiko,
Are you going to throw an LSD in the tranny while you are at it?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
no. I don't like limiting my slips. Or differentiating. I think we are all one thing. We got a hinge, an s/c, a clutch, a surge tank, a catch me if you can, 2 toe links, one engine mount, a cat back muffler, and a relocated oil cooler. I think that's good for a first pass. And I still have to pull the front clam to repair it once they are done, so I'm maxxed out at the moment.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I still never understood why the cam change is tuned so crappy in the stock calibration. I'm assuming for emissions reasons or something that jump on the second cam is really pretty bad. There is a lot of torque left on the table in the 5-6.5k range just from adjusting the lift point.
It was specifically for the "oomph" feel. It was to be more noticable then the VTEC of the time.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Phil's latest tunes really make the cam change very progressive. You can still feel it just a bit, but it's *way* less in-your face.

@Komiko: You will absolutely love it, even with it not tuned out to maximum power. Are you installing the ACT clutch? Curious to hear how that feels. I have one here (and the fidanza lightweight flywheel) but I have not installed either yet.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yup - the act clutch is going in, I'm not sure which one though. Phil says the feel is fairly street. They both put in a 10 hour day on it yesterday - Phil gets the motor back in today, maybe running today. Wow. They are doing a one month build in 4 days.
The funniest thing about this whole episode is that I am about to head out to the ATM machine to pay for this. I mean it's REALLY REALLY funny. And no, I am not going into the details or explaining it to anyone. Phil & I got it figured out. But it's really funny as all get out.
Do you have any idea how many $20 bills it takes to pay these guys to do this level of work with those parts? (Hint: I'm gonna break the machine, maybe two machines) I think it's hillarious but money talks, bs walks. We're gonna be setting aside a few hours to be counting 20's. I'm laughing just writing this.
Are there any ATM's in KC that spit out hundreds? They have those in Greenwich Connecticut.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Phil's latest tunes really make the cam change very progressive. You can still feel it just a bit, but it's *way* less in-your face.

@Komiko: You will absolutely love it, even with it not tuned out to maximum power. Are you installing the ACT clutch? Curious to hear how that feels. I have one here (and the fidanza lightweight flywheel) but I have not installed either yet.
Chronos - have you noticed any slippage at all on the stock clutch? Just curious. Apparently , some people get away with it. And I am psychologically preparing myself to engage in absolute love. It will be a cool drive back to the East coast. I'm pretty sure it's going to be akin to driving a loaded weapon, you need to be careful where you point it. Because it's gonna go there when you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great stuff Komiko; car looks great without its knickers! Can't wait to see how she performs after her visit to the spa. BTW, great to meet you Saturday--remember the the Black 2010 Exige? Have fun, safe travels.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Great stuff Komiko; car looks great without its knickers! Can't wait to see how she performs after her visit to the spa. BTW, great to meet you Saturday--remember the the Black 2010 Exige? Have fun, safe travels.
Oh I remember you and that sweet triple black rocket of yours! With the spoiler from hell :). Have you thought about a tilting clam for that beast? And yes, every car in the forum should be so lucky as to spend a week at TurboPhil's Auto Spa & Service Emporium.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts