The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My light switches next to the starter button are installed upside down and are wired backwards. I thought it didn't make sense that the upside down lightbulb switch would operate the headlights and the headlight looking switch would operate the internal lights. I checked the manual and my switch assembly is completely upside down.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it easy to fix or should I take it into the dealer?

I guess this is my first example of English car electronics.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I don't recall the pictures on mine, but the bottom switch is the headlights and the top one are the driving/positional lights.

The bottom one turns both on, and you have to press the bottom one 1st and the top one after to turn them off.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, if I ignored the pictures and the fact that the button is on the left of the cutout instead of the right (as shown in the manual), then my buttons are work correctly. The icons just make no sense.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
grantcv said:
Yeah, if I ignored the pictures and the fact that the button is on the left of the cutout instead of the right (as shown in the manual), then my buttons are work correctly. The icons just make no sense.
Didn't notice the manual, but it could be a picture of the right hand drive block ;)

I believe the icons are on the left of my buttons too, but didn't pay that much attention to them.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I think that maybe I got the southern hemisphere model - my icons are upside down.

When I get back home in a few days I will take a picture to show that my buttons are indeed, upside down.

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
I thought Lotus checks the functionality of the car before they ship them out. What type of BS is this?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its quite functional - just upside down. The bottom button is upside down and in the top position and the top button is upside down and in the bottom position. But the top button does what the top button is supposed to do and the bottom button does what the top button is supposed to do - its just that the wrong buttons are there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
TADTS. You can see the icons on my car are on the right also. But note that the icons are not what are in the manual. The top icon seems consistent with the parking lights. The bottom icon does not look like headlights, but it works fine

Attachments

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
Jay

That Lazer Blue shifter housing is hot! LB matches so damn well with black. Do you have more pics of your car, inside & out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I did look today and it is the same as well, icons on the right. Like I said, I really didn't pay attention since I got the car at night and had to figure out how the lights worked in the dark, since then I just know where they are at ;)

The parking lights seems consistent to me since there are two symetrical icons, if it was a headlight then it should be only one icon.

The headlight ones is like a sun symbol or facing a bright head ligh.

Anyway, they all do that sir.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Mine is the same.

I would not mention it to the dealer:eek: They may just draw a new picture in the manual for yourotfl

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The light switches are just plain wierd. Even if they were consistent with the manual, they are still wierd.

One switch to turn them on and two to turn them off. Makes no sense to me at all.

(I design user interfaces and would never have done it that way)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
grantcv said:
One switch to turn them on and two to turn them off. Makes no sense to me at all.

(I design user interfaces and would never have done it that way)
Most likely required by law. You can turn on the parking lights by themselves, but if you turn on the headlights, it must turn on the parking lights. But then turning off the headlights leave the parking lights turned on.

All my other cars work the same way - on my Miata or my Honda, I turn the knob. The first click turns on the parking light, and the second turns on the headlight. You can't turn on the headlights with out turning on the parking lights. Turn off the headlight and the parking light is still on. Turn it more, and the parking lights go off.

But instead of using a two position switch, Lotus used electronic buttons...

·
Registered
592 Posts
shay2nak said:
Jay

That Lazer Blue shifter housing is hot! LB matches so damn well with black. Do you have more pics of your car, inside & out?

Thanks!
I'm really glad I had the console painted. I was going to pass because it was expensive, but it really is great looking. I posted pics to this thread:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/sho...79&perpage=20&highlight=vin 1000&pagenumber=2

I sent out high-res (5 MP) versions today to a couple of listers. PM me your e-mail address and I can forward them to you. (They are big so I sent 2 to an e-mail to stay under 5 MB).

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Check my switches last night - they are "upside down" also - like in the photo somewhere above...

I imagine that the switches were probably sourced from some other car where they were on the right hand side and flipped "right side" up. Not unusual for Lotus to source parts from other vendors. The fun part is figuring where the various parts come from...;)

·
Registered
724 Posts
maybe they did it because as i understand lotus ownership a lot of time is spent under the dash looking up.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
hogfan said:
maybe they did it because as i understand lotus ownership a lot of time is spent under the dash looking up.
:bow: :bow: The Lotus Position!!! :clap: :clap:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts