The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend posted this on facebook and I thought I'd share....

I just received my tax return for 2011 back from the IRS. It puzzles me!!!
They are questioning how many dependents I claimed. I guess it was because of my response to the question: "List all dependents?"
I replied:
12 million illegal immigrants;
3 million crack heads;
42 million unemployed people on food stamps,
2 million people in over 243 prisons;
Half of Mexico;
535 persons in the U.S. House and Senate.
and 1 useless President.”
Evidently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.
I KEEP ASKING MYSELF, WHO DID I MISS?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
A friend posted this on facebook and I thought I'd share....

I just received my tax return for 2011 back from the IRS. It puzzles me!!!
They are questioning how many dependents I claimed. I guess it was because of my response to the question: "List all dependents?"
I replied:
12 million illegal immigrants;
3 million crack heads;
42 million unemployed people on food stamps,
2 million people in over 243 prisons;
Half of Mexico;
535 persons in the U.S. House and Senate.
and 1 useless President.”
Evidently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.
I KEEP ASKING MYSELF, WHO DID I MISS?
That's a great start, but you forgot all the money the government spent, through your taxes, to prop up banking and financial institutions, such as the $700 billion bank bailouts in 2008 (under Bush, not the current, "uesless" President) known as the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008. Then there's the $92 billion the U.S. federal government spent on corporate welfare during fiscal year 2006 (Cato Institute), provided to the likes of Boeing, Xerox, IBM, Motorola, Dow Chemical and GE. I think that you forgot to add these "deserving" recipients.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Government entitlements!

The standard of living the government will provide you is absurd. In the past you relied on family to help you through hard times. Now, you are entitled to an independent lifestyle no matter what.

My wife was DENiED unemployment, the nursing home was shut down by the state, and she was told she is ineligible b/c she was going to school. Oh yeah, and she also received no education benefits b/c she was working.

I was ineligible for education benefits b/c my parents COULD afford it, but chose not to.

The government WILL give benefits to drug addicts that aren't even looking for work though.

And lazy bums can get a free ride through college.

Equal opportunity my ass.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Government entitlements!

The standard of living the government will provide you is absurd. In the past you relied on family to help you through hard times. Now, you are entitled to an independent lifestyle no matter what.

My wife was DENiED unemployment, the nursing home was shut down by the state, and she was told she is ineligible b/c she was going to school. Oh yeah, and she also received no education benefits b/c she was working.

I was ineligible for education benefits b/c my parents COULD afford it, but chose not to.

The government WILL give benefits to drug addicts that aren't even looking for work though.

Yeah in the past family helped bail u out, but now family is just as poor and jobless as the next guy...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
All federal, state, and local government employees are paid with our tax money so I guess they're all dependants. On weekends and holidays most government services, except for essential services, are shut down. Perhaps we can lessen our load of dependents by keeping most of them shut down for the rest of the year. ;)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I think the IRS might have had a problem with you claiming some of you dependents twice. Half of mexico and 12 million illegal immigrants... They intersect quite a bit :D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Government entitlements!

Agreed.

I was told I could not get financial aid for school because my mother, who is unable to work due to 6 spinal surgeries, makes too much off of social security, and feeds my two younger brothers....

Go figure.

Yet half the people I knew in my classes, which I got paid for by the Military thankfully, had tow working parents, no siblings, tons of money, and got tons of money for school a year, and because their parents already paid their schooling, they pocketed the FA.... WTF!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Government entitlements!

Do you really call surviving on food stamps and other "entitlements" living an independent lifestyle?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Do you really call surviving on food stamps and other "entitlements" living an independent lifestyle?
Yes

Free housing, free food, + free money

How is that not independence?

My wife had friends that were on practically every gov't entitlement, they were most definitely living better than we were
me:army
her:nurse + college

I am fully aware that there are good and honest people on government assistance, it is the leeches that I have a problem with, and there are far too many leeches.

It shouldnt even be possible that lazy filth could get all of this entitlement money. These losers go to places, make sure they are not hiring, then get the managers to sign their unemployment papers. Not looking for work is their job. Take the money from those losers and give it to those that really do need help, the ones actually trying.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yes

Free housing, free food, + free money

How is that not independence?
That's not independence, it's government dependence.

Exactly. I think the vetting process should be much more stringent...
I think we should just stop redistributing wealth and let people keep more of what they earn.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
All federal, state, and local government employees are paid with our tax money
Nope. I'm paid with sewer user fees. My division does not get a dime of tax money.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Nope. I'm paid with sewer user fees. My division does not get a dime of tax money.
A user fee is an excise tax often in the form of a license or supplemental charge levied to fund a public service.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
A user fee is an excise tax often in the form of a license or supplemental charge levied to fund a public service.
Nope. There is a fundamental difference. A tax is a fee that a government levies on something that somebody else sells you. Gigarette tax. Gasoline tax. Sales tax. VAT.

Sewer and water charges are fees for something the government actually sells you. If you want to pay less sewer charge, use less water.

=============

excise tax (plural excise taxes)

1.Any of various taxes levied on the production or sale of certain goods, especially on luxuries, tobacco, alcohol etc.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
There is a giant looming over us.

We simply have more programs than we can support. My adviser told me that we would need to pay basically 100% tax in order to support all the government has established. Hence the deficit.

Only possibilities:

(1) accept an ever increasing deficit
(2) Pay much more tax
(3) The giant: reduce entitlements.

More likely a combination of these. Or just don't do squat. Our Congress' speciality.

Many have grown accustomed to living off the dole, even for generations, that they can not imagine otherwise. It is "theirs" after all, isn't it? So what civil unrest will result if this were to change?

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Nope. There is a fundamental difference. A tax is a fee that a government levies on something that somebody else sells you. Gigarette tax. Gasoline tax. Sales tax. VAT.

Sewer and water charges are fees for something the government actually sells you. If you want to pay less sewer charge, use less water.

=============

excise tax (plural excise taxes)

1.Any of various taxes levied on the production or sale of certain goods, especially on luxuries, tobacco, alcohol etc.
Is your pension and health care fully funded by the 'user fees'? If not how will they be funded when you retire?

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Is your pension and health care fully funded by the 'user fees'? If not how will they be funded when you retire?
I have been paying into PERA. Both my contributions and those of my employer came from the Sewer Fund. The Public Employees Retirement Association covers both State and Municipal employees in Minnesota.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I have been paying into PERA. Both my contributions and those of my employer came from the Sewer Fund. The Public Employees Retirement Association covers both State and Municipal employees in Minnesota.
"Over the last 20 years, taxpayers have paid 14 cents on the dollar of the total revenues of the three statewide pension systems." (2011 comprehensive financial reports of PERA, MSRS, and TRA)

BTW PERA's General Plan has a $4.3 billion unfunded liability. Guess who has to make up for that deficit? The taxpayers are on the hook for that shortfall.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
That's a great start, but you forgot all the money the government spent, through your taxes, to prop up banking and financial institutions, such as the $700 billion bank bailouts in 2008
This is total bull****.

The TARP funds *loaned* to banks and financial institutions has been paid back in full, with interest.

What hasn't been paid back? The funds used to prop up GM, Chrysler, AIG, Fannie Mae, and Freddie Mac.

Why?

To pay off the UAW and the idiot political appointees running Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

AIG is a bit more complicated...

But: thanks for trying... rotfl

1 - 20 of 77 Posts