The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lotus can do what they want... but in my case, they'll only be screwing themselves out of future business (performance upgrades, interior bits, replacement tires, etc...). There are plenty of aftermarket parts out there, and there will undoubtedly be many more in the near future. I have no problem buying aftermarket instead of Lotus parts.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
My thoughts exactly

Edit:

I'll drop the hard cover, LSS, Stage 1, maybe even the clear 3M and find someone else to do it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
This is all a ploy to have more people drop out in order for more cars to be sold on the open market at market adjusted prices.

Wearing your tin foil hat?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Yep. The way I see it, I just lot my budget for the sill plates, parking brake cover, stage 1 exhaust, fog lights, etc etc - the car is now staying stock.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
So what you're saying is that you'll give them the same amount of money on your Elise with or without the increase, but just for less product. Doesn't sound like a compelling argument for them not to raise the price.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
transio said:
So what you're saying is that you'll give them the same amount of money on your Elise with or without the increase, but just for less product. Doesn't sound like a compelling argument for them not to raise the price.
Huh?

What I'm saying is that I won't be buying anything other than my Elise from them. What didn't you understand?

I just realized that maybe your post wasn't intended for me, but Matt pretty much said the same thing... so it could work either way.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Steve, I know that's what it sounded like, but that's not really what I meant. What I meant is, the Elise is a like a drug to me, and I'll pay whatever I have to to get it. If it were any other car, I'd get my deposit back and buy something else. So, what I really mean is, the car was getting too expensive to begin with, I chose options based on the MSRP of those options, and by the time all was said and done, it left little extra money for anything else. Now, it's even higher, and even harder to justify buying.

I'll buy the car, but warn everyone thinking of buying an Elise about Lotus' way of doing business.

That said, I still hold out hope I can get the car at the original, agreed upon MSRP. I was supposed to get the #2 customer car - but I didn't. If I *HAD*, as promised, I wouldn't be faced with this increase.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I for one see this as positive if it is really true. I felt all along that the increase was going to be higher and still think we will see a further increase at the end of the model year. We had been "hinted" at a 2.5 to 3k increase and I still think its coming so just keep hoping your cars get here sooner rather than later.

He runs and seeks cover! :eek:

·
Registered
739 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
I for one see this as positive if it is really true. I felt all along that the increase was going to be higher and still think we will see a further increase at the end of the model year. We had been "hinted" at a 2.5 to 3k increase and I still think its coming so just keep hoping your cars get here sooner rather than later.

That's easy for someone who bought someone elses car to say!:huh:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sure, I expected a (moderate) increase for next model year. That would seem fair. But this is different. Increasing the price during the model year, especially for people who already ordered the car, is wrong.

The projected price was $38,500 when I put down my deposit. Then it changed to $40,000, with a fairly high destination charge added. Now it's $41,000. An increase of $3000 is significant, doing it in small steps doesn't change that.

I will probably just pay the higher price, but I'm not happy at all. :mad: And too many businesses don't seem to understand this well enough: A happy customer is a good customer! On a technical level, Lotus has a winner in their hands. But I increasingly feel like they're setting themselves up to fail in the US market once the initial Elise hype is over.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Paul MD said:
That's easy for someone who bought someone elses car to say!:huh:
You're right but even if I was still waiting I would still think the same, the car is just that good! Plus I was inline to wait along with everyone else but I got lucky. I understand nobody likes to spend more money but I don't see the reason for a major uproar over this increase, Hell we already had one guy suggesting a class action suit!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
I for one see this as positive if it is really true
Positive for who? Lotus's cash flow. Not us. It would be justifiable if Lotus was delivering them on time.

Not that the money is a large increase but combined with all the delays this experience isn't so fun anymore. Traveshamockery I tell you!

·
Registered
739 Posts
NtflBlueLiz said:
You're right but even if I was still waiting I would still think the same, the car is just that good! Plus I was inline to wait along with everyone else but I got lucky. I understand nobody likes to spend more money but I don't see the reason for a major uproar over this increase, Hell we already had one guy suggesting a class action suit!
Because it's an ENTHUSIASTS car not a supercar and in many/most cases that by definition means that the buyers (me included) are not overpaid pissants with heaps of money to throw around. Instead we're scraping together every Goddamned friggin' bean we own, and a few we don't, to try and make it into the car of our dreams and moving the goal posts after all the **** we've been required to take is a tad hard to swallow. ESPECIALLY if our cars haven't been delivered solely because some other f*cker screwed up (Lotus) and it's no fault of our own!

Or something like that.

Lotus 7 for the modern age my ASS (hale)

:huh:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The most interesting thing of all:

It's the people that have been on the list the longest that are the most upset. ConeFusion said it best, the increase is actually near $3k. Honestly, the car is simply not going to garner the type of money Lotus wants for it. I think a 40k base price for a two seater was the absolute most that the market can and will bear in quantities that will allow a sustainable market. What's worse, is that this 'announcement' has been total hearsay. My dealer hasn't even heard of it, while others are giving specific dates as to when the increase will occur. The Lotus website reflects $39,985, Randy sets up a special section (indicates to me that it's true), no press release, etc.. etc..

Then there is the chance the LCU/Dealers/Lotus are reading this board (in its nice contained area) and will get a freaking clue. Hello, we are the enthusiasts here, we are the patient ones, and we aren't happy! I for one wouldn't think that he masses would accept the increase if the enthusiasts won't.

Can't beat em, join em.....Sell Elise at markup, buy Lancer Evo RS or C6. Need I say more?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Lotus needs to learn how to approach the American market.

I think they're under the impression that an increase of $945 isn't that big a deal when you take into account the fact that the Elise, even after this bump, is thousands cheaper in the US than the rest of the world. What they need to realise is; Americans are spoiled, ungrateful, whining adolescents.

It's a $40k sports car thats fun to drive !! Not oxygen.

If they raise it beyond my price range, I'll be a little sad, but it's not the end of the world, and it doesn't make Lotus a bunch of a$$holes. They tried to keep the price low, but couldn't, so they raised it by as little as they could.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Gromit said:
I think they're under the impression that an increase of $945 isn't that big a deal when you take into account the fact that the Elise, even after this bump, is thousands cheaper in the US than the rest of the world. What they need to realise is; Americans are spoiled, ungrateful, whining adolescents.
Really? No. In my opinion, we work hard, are grateful for what we earn, and are not willing to take it up the rear.

Here, how about this answer.

Oh thank you Lotus! Please raise the price further! We don't care! We like it. Oh yeah.. that feels good. Keep going.

Next time you make sweeping generalizations about 300 million people, make a disclaimer that it's only your opinion.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Here's a thought. Maybe the price increase is to offset the production costs of going to a second shift, hiring more workers, and increasing capacity. You can't increases production without increasing costs - unless you could increase inefficiency....and we all know how efficient Lotus is. :)

So, here's the question: Would you rather

a) pay an extra $1,000 and get your car on time (relatively speaking, of course), or
b) not pay the extra $1,000 and wait longer due to limited production capacity.

Also, if it took an additional six months till you received your car, would you drop off the list and by something else, which means Lotus is loosing market shares.

·
Registered
22 Posts
>> It's a $40k sports car thats fun to drive !!

Not anymore.

Re: the choice between paying more or not getting it soon - looks like most of us will get to do both! :D

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Allan Gibbs said:
Here's a thought. Maybe the price increase is to offset the production costs of going to a second shift, hiring more workers, and increasing capacity.

So, here's the question: Would you rather

a) pay an extra $1,000 and get your car on time, or
b) not pay the extra $1,000 and have it take and additional six months.

Also, if it took an additional six months till you received your car, would you drop off the list and by something else, which means Lotus is loosing market shares.
But what about those of us who know that our cars have already been built and could already be on a ship on their way here? Call me selfish, but as much as I'd like to see the rest of you get your cars on time... I'm just not willing to pay an extra $1k to see it happen.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts