The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the weird sound my throttle position sensor is making when I turn the key to the ON position. The car won't start with the throttle position sensor plugged in, but will start and run with it unplugged.

I can start the car with the TPS sensor unplugged then plug it in when the car is running, and it doesn't make the sound. The car won't rev either way, with it plugged in or out. I traced the wires and don't see anything melted. Here is a video of the sound. Any suggestions?

http://static.photobucket.com/playe...ket.com/albums/v503/werdy/20121015_120950.mp4

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
None of 'em were melted?

hmm, then I would think its either its the throttle body or ecu....there isn't anything else on the circuit. Steal your friends throttle body and swap it and see if it still does it. They are simple enough to get off to do that.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
It sounds like the throttle position stepper motor is moving in the video. If the tps sensor is bad the stepper motor can not drive to the home position because the sensor does not know where home is.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like the throttle position stepper motor is moving in the video. If the tps sensor is bad the stepper motor can not drive to the home position because the sensor does not know where home is.
Is there a way to test the TPS sensor? I removed the TPS cover and checked to see how much voltage each prong was receiving at startup. They recieve 1.58 volts. Let me hook up a jumper and see if I can get anything to move with the cap off.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None of 'em were melted?

hmm, then I would think its either its the throttle body or ecu....there isn't anything else on the circuit. Steal your friends throttle body and swap it and see if it still does it. They are simple enough to get off to do that.
Good idea. I know he's getting annoyed using his car add a parts car.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
Is there a way to test the TPS sensor? I removed the TPS cover and checked to see how much voltage each prong was receiving at startup. They recieve 1.58 volts. Let me hook up a jumper and see if I can get anything to move with the cap off.
For about ten bucks you can pick one up at your local parts store for a toyota. Just askthem to cross reference to a toyota 2zz engine.

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
Jumping random wires is not a good idea. Bound to blow fuses or fry parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts