The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an original TomTom Go which has just died. Searching online my failure seems to match the 'green light of death' syndrome caused by the in car adapter sending too many volts to the unit.

Pulling the TomTom apart I have a blown IC, number U24. Can anyone give advice on how to replace such a tiny chip - it is about 3mm square?

I can do basic soldering but this thing is so small.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have an original TomTom Go which has just died. Searching online my failure seems to match the 'green light of death' syndrome caused by the in car adapter sending too many volts to the unit.

Pulling the TomTom apart I have a blown IC, number U24. Can anyone give advice on how to replace such a tiny chip - it is about 3mm square?

I can do basic soldering but this thing is so small.
ahh i see you have the bad buck converter problem... its not too difficult to change a MSOP package if you have a steady hand...

the easiest way to repair it is to first pull the old unit off with a heat gun. before I got a smd station (the right tool) i used to use a heat gun with the paint stripper attachment whih i crimped closed except for one corner (in other words it would only blow out of a small opening on one end. you heat the area above the chip until the chip can be worked loose with a piece of tweezers.

then you let the board cool and use a drop of crazy glue to hold the new one in place then just use a soldering iron to melt the solder and press each pin in place.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Ah, you let the smoke out.

Rob's advise is good, but I would suggest a few different things.
Cut the legs off of U24 then unsolder the legs from the board wiith a soldering iron.
Use 5 minute epoxy instead of crazy glue to hold the new IC in place. Crazy glue gives off and eye searing fume when heated.

Here's the bad news - if U24 died something else probably went too.

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help.

My wife was using the TomTom at the time, didn't notice any smoke, just that it stopped working.

I did spend some time searching the TomTom forums (looking for some instructions for how to do a reset!) and so expected to find U25 and U24 dead but 25 and everything else looks fine.

I did try calling TomTom but my unit is so old it is way past warranty, it is a TomTom GO original series XXXX.001 and they wouldn't accept that this is known problem.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get a replacement chip - seems like I have to get it from the UK.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Patrick,

As my wife can't survive without a working GPS she already has a new one. This cast off thus becomes mine - if I can get it fixed.

$168 - I was thinking more like $5 for a new chip! Can you fix it for about that much?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Do you have a part number for U24? I can have a tech replace it for you. We have prof desolder and soldering stuff.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Randy - That would be fantastic - thanks.

I thought I had the part number but from what I can see printed on the chip it doesn't seem to tie up. I'll do some more homework and get back to you. I thought it was TPS62000 but the printing (very hard to read) is something like 45II *AIH (the * is burnt out) or 45TI *AIH. I even asked my 16 year old to read it as he has better eyes than me.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Are you sure that you know why that failed?

You may want to buy 2 or 3 of them...

It could be some other component that is causing that to fail.

Good Luck.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
AIH indicates a TPS62000 series part. The 45TI refers to Texas Instruments (TI), but not sure what 45 means. Could be a lot code.
MSOP-10 package.
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps62000.pdf
Not sure which voltage is required though. And it seems that what feeding the power to it is perhaps what first failed. Is this from an internal battery?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Randy - That would be fantastic - thanks.

I thought I had the part number but from what I can see printed on the chip it doesn't seem to tie up. I'll do some more homework and get back to you. I thought it was TPS62000 but the printing (very hard to read) is something like 45II *AIH (the * is burnt out) or 45TI *AIH. I even asked my 16 year old to read it as he has better eyes than me.

nope it is a TPS62000... the numbers you are referring to are the production lot number. you can get it at digikey for $2.93

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=296-11611-1-ND

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks 'rob13572468' & Randy

I have gone ahead and ordered a couple. I had read that it was U24 and U25 that fail when the car adapter sends too much power to the TomTom but U25 looks OK. Other pictures I saw of the damage it was pretty clear that U25 had failed (it looked like it had exploded) but mine seems perfect. Am I being optimistic ?

Wish me luck.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Yes

I would have ordered the other part too. What is U25?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought so!

U25 is Linear Technology LTC3411EMS and wasn't in stock at Digi-Key or Avnet - and it is on the other side of the board and really hard to get at.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Randy,

The parts arrived today. Are you OK for sometime next week?
My youngest is off school next week so we can make a trip of it, Seaworld or the Zoo etc.

I'll send you a PM with my details.

Thanks
Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts