The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was discussing my track setup with a few fellow track-rats recently and after a long 3 day weekend instructing with the BMW club I figured I'd share a little detail and a few pictures of my rig and what I love/don't about it. First some pics to get the non-readers started...

2012-05-20 18.41.14 (Small).jpg

2012-05-18 10.13.16 (Small).jpg

Almost everything you see came to the track with me, here's a brief list of what I can haul in the trunk, behind the seats, passenger footwell and trailer:

Daisy (my 8 month old yellow lab)
Food/bowls/treats for Daisy
Daisy's bed/my pillow
Tires
Jack
5 gal fuel
Toolbox
Ramps
Helmet/HANS/gloves/shoes/suit
Clothes bag
Chair
Stool (for tire changes)
Grill
Laptop bag/chargers/iPad/speakers
Lantern
2 bottles LP
Tent
full size air mattress
Small roll-up table

(on the way home a buddy with a trailer took some stuff for me just so we could get outta there quicker)

Being able to drive my car there with all my gear, go out and essentially be faster than all but about 5% of the trailered/race cars then pack up and go home is pretty amazing. When I got home I pulled the car in the garage, disconnected the trailer and moved it to it's spot on the side of the house. Took about 5 minutes - vs. the tow guys spending hours dealing with trailers, etc. The only arrive-and-drive car that got around me was a 2011 GT-R on Hooisers (fit them in the car - but nothing else). And after he got me in the next lap he had to yield as to catch me he completely cooked his brakes (he admitted that in the paddock after the session).

So yeah, I love my car. I love my rig and I love my dog :)

Oh, as for what I don't love - well losing the bag with all my clothes in it really sucked. When I packed the trailer I must have missed running the ratchet strap through the handle so somewhere on the insterstate it popped off (with probably $1k in clothes in it). Trailer is going to get a redesign before the next event...

Have a similar setup??? I'd love to see it...

-Ross

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
:up:

very nice setup.

·
Premium Member
5,194 Posts
It sure is nice being self supporting and self sufficient. Nice plan you have and nice little package. We have been debating weather to get another Elise or to see if we can find a toy hauler to fit the current one.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
"vs. the tow guys spending hours dealing with trailers, etc."

Hours? Really? :confused:

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
This past weekend, I saw a Corvette pulling a U-Haul trailer loaded with furniture and boxes. I thought to myself, are you ******* kidding me?! It made me think of the trailer set up such as the OPer.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"vs. the tow guys spending hours dealing with trailers, etc."

Hours? Really? :confused:
Uh, yeah. I have several friends with trailers and from going to get the trailer from storage, loading the car, making sure all the straps are good, getting the car home, unloading it, and taking it back to storage it's a huge PITA for them. Even if you had somewhere at home to store the trailer it's still significantly more work than the few minutes I have to deal with.

This past weekend, I saw a Corvette pulling a U-Haul trailer loaded with furniture and boxes. I thought to myself, are you ******* kidding me?! It made me think of the trailer set up such as the OPer.
You mean like this? Easily the most eye-popping drive I've ever had (and I'll probably do it again this weekend as I need more bark/sod). Definitely don't want to put all that crap in the trunk of my RS4.

Lotus towing bark.jpg

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Looks good!

I still prefer a trailer though. God forbid you have an incident (mechanical failure or crash) you can put everything in your trailer, drive it home and worry about it later. Also since most of the tracks are 5+ hours away, I would MUCH prefer to be in a nice comfy crew cab than a noisy, bumpy, uncomfortable Lotus.

But for short trips, your setup looks great!

·
Registered
553 Posts
can I see a better pictures of the car with some lighting? Because I'm about to purchase a black exige and wanted to put red/gold theme going.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Here's my track setup...

Of course I don't own the truck or the trailer, so after blowing my head gasket it took till the next day and all of that day to borrow a trailer and truck and get my car loaded and home. Ross was there for some of that one.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
But Ross, thats not the track setup I wanted to know about.

Spring rates, alignment specs, ride height, tire pressure, unfair advantages.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My Elise I arrive and drive, but that is only one day events.

My Race car gets trailered. but i need the space in the tow car for the two jerry cans and two boxes worth of tools, Plus the windscreen and lights if i am going endurance racing.

Attachments

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks good!

I still prefer a trailer though. God forbid you have an incident (mechanical failure or crash) you can put everything in your trailer, drive it home and worry about it later. Also since most of the tracks are 5+ hours away, I would MUCH prefer to be in a nice comfy crew cab than a noisy, bumpy, uncomfortable Lotus.

But for short trips, your setup looks great!
Can't argue with that logic at all, and given I had a motor failure last year and had to get a buddy to come tow my setup home that's a real possibility for the future. I also plan to own a formula car at some point so a trailer will be a must.

But Ross, thats not the track setup I wanted to know about.

Spring rates, alignment specs, ride height, tire pressure, unfair advantages.
Ah, sorry Doug. My basic settings are:
Front left camber: -3.1
Front right camber: -3.2
Rear left camber: -2.1 (definitely need more)
Rear right camber: -2.2

Tires: Yoko A005 S01 slicks (total hero makers)
Pressures: 22 front, 24 rear (that's cold)

Suspension: Totally stock for my '06 Exige (yes, I'm under-sprung)

Brakes: Pagid RS14 (black) all corners, RBF 600 fluid and BOE Ti brake shims. They never fade. Ever.

Aero: APR Canards, APR GTC-200 wing, Sector RaceSills, BOE diffuser/under aero

Max lateral Gs: 1.7 :)

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
can I see a better pictures of the car with some lighting? Because I'm about to purchase a black exige and wanted to put red/gold theme going.
NO! Don't go copying my custom design now!!! :)

(I have several threads with great pictures, just search me and you'll find them)

Hello post 800 :)

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Something about this picture makes me smile, in a good way.
It's definitely one of my favorite pictures of my car.

I've towed my car, and driven it to the track. I prefer to tow the car. I can bring more tools, and drive harder knowing I can tow my car home if I hit a wall or burst a brake line.
Yup, again can't argue that - but I love that my setup is so small, simple and quick. And there's just something in me that loves smoking past full racecars in my "street" car. I got that comment more than once last weekend and it made me smile. Of course I love telling a 600whp GT-R guy that I'm running 145whp and only hitting 110 on the straight (he's hitting 158). When he realizes that and that I'm 1-2 seconds faster the look is priceless.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: G0D [email protected] I love our cars

·
Registered
572 Posts
You have a great setup Ross.

Max lateral Gs: 1.7 :)
Wow! With my mostly stock setup and A048s my max lateral is only 1.15. What were your faster track times on slicks?

How do you like the Pagid RS14 on the street? My pads are nearly shot.

·
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow! With my mostly stock setup and A048s my max lateral is only 1.15. What were your faster track times on slicks?

How do you like the Pagid RS14 on the street? My pads are nearly shot.
Roughly my times on R888s were 2:07 and 2:03 on the Yoko slicks. I don't really street my car that much but the RS14s have been fine when I do. They are definitely noisey (I get "WTF is wrong with your car" looks sometimes). When I first got the car I'd swap between Hawk HPS for the street and my Pagid's for the track. Just don't care now :)

On the R888s with -2.5 of front camber (same in the back) I'm getting 1.4 max lateral.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts