The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Learned a few things from the factory tour, some may be redundent:

A small number of cars were shipped just a bit over a week ago - 35 in total. (Dealer demos maybe?)

The US Elise can be built at 85 units or so a week. 2 more workers were just added full time to the line to achieve this. They have their own line so that Non-US Elises are all built on the second line - that includes all the Elises, Exiges and VX220s. The plant was shut down that week to make some changes to the line and to replace light bulbs.

No waiting for the sports package - I saw at least 6 US spec units with the kit on. One thing though is that I didn't see any of the sport wheels when we walked past the pile of wheels waiting to be put on.

Graphite grey is a blueish grey in low lights and dark grey in bright light. In bright light it's just a shade darker that Storm Ti with no hint of blue. It may have been the factory lights that caused the blue tint.

From the race course:

I'm a crap driver. :mad:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
85 a week is a really high number for US elises only... basically over 4000 a year. Seems too high.

other than that, great news, except the bit about being a crap driver.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Steve W said:

other than that, great news, except the bit about being a crap driver.
That just means that he's condemned to spend more time on track, poor sap :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
Lotus Fury said:
The plant was shut down that week ... to replace light bulbs.

Okay, insert your favorite "How many englishmen/engineers/supervisors/mechanics does it take to change a lightbulb" joke here...

·
Registered
431 Posts
So I'm assuming that 85 units a week is what they will eventually ramp to maybe? Did they mention the approximate rate they are building US units right now?
Also, were you saying that you didn't see any extra LSS wheels waiting to be put on but that the sports pack cars you saw had the sports pack wheels?
Great update, thanks for the info. Too bad we couldnt get an update like that every week:)

·
Registered
970 Posts
so where is Lotus USA located at???...and yes I did a search already so **&^%#$^&!!!!

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
mact,
Lotus USA is located in Duluth GA, just north of Atlanta, they moved from Lawrenceville GA a few months ago.
Chris

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,642 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
mact,
Lotus USA is located in Duluth GA, just north of Atlanta, they moved from Lawrenceville GA a few months ago.
Chris
Just behind Gwinett Place Mall. The new building looks nice from the outside. I hope they have an open house one day...

·
Registered
90 Posts
The US Elise can be built at 85 units or so a week. 2 more workers were just added full time to the line to achieve this.

:clap: I am 90+ at SVAG :clap:
So I will get my Elise sooooooooon !! :wave:

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
rolandchen said:
The US Elise can be built at 85 units or so a week. 2 more workers were just added full time to the line to achieve this.

:clap: I am 90+ at SVAG :clap:
So I will get my Elise sooooooooon !! :wave:
yeah, probably in a year or so!

:confused:

·
Registered
970 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
mact,
Chris

Hmmmm....interesting, my national meeting for my field is having meeting this fall in Atlanta...I wasnt going to go but now I think I'm going...needless to say, I wont be at too many meetings!...:D

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Keep in mind that "can be built" and "are being built" are very different.

There is a plan to get to a certain production capacity but it will not happen all in one swoop and it will not happen soon. It takes time to bring people in, get them up to speed, accelerate the shipments from vendors, etc.

As I understand it, they are ramping up and will accelerate the ramping after the holidays in August... and speculation is that they may reach a good capacity in September.

To me... this means those with low list numbers like 8, may be disappointed when you find that cars are slower to arrive at first. But higher numbers may find that the factory is catching up.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I was under the impression that something like only 85 HAD been built? I also hope it is true, but 85 seems so high, and if they are producing that many now, where are all the cars? That would mean that there would be 340 cars in one month, and we all know that while it would be good news, it is unlikely. :(

It is interesting to note that with all the "effort" made to improve customer relations, the best information is from people who don't work with the company :( It is too bad that we all have to depend on information in this way instead of from the factory. :rolleyes:

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
It was said to me by someone who will remain nameless, that efforts to change Lotus from inside to be more communicative, have not worked well. So I appreciate any communication.

There were only ~88 cars completed a little over a week ago.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I believe that Lotus has declared that they will not build to max capacity, even if they have the backorders. They want to have a sustained outflow of cars over a relatively long period of time as I recall. They would rather have a sustained production rate rather than boom and then bust.

Bad for us who are still waiting, if so, but good for Lotus as a firm, since it gives them longer-term business, keeps demand and sales prices high(er), and creates more buzz around their product.

I'm sure if demand remains super-high 12 months from now, they'll ramp up the rate at that point.

DLY

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't see 85 units per week is high.
They need to be 85 units per week to keep their 2200 units promise for 2004.
35 units shipped + 85 X 29 weeks (remaining) - Demo = 2500 units - Demo!!

I assume next year they will increase qouta to US :clap:

Roland
Want to take a ride in my Lotus, click this
http://www.geocities.com/rolandchen/elise.html
LOTUS
Lot Of Trouble Usually Serious

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Is the quoted estimate "~2200 for Calendar Year 2004", or "2200 in the first year of production"?

I thought it was the latter.

Just from the pictures of the 'factory', 85 a week sounds like quite a few. Then again, they never show guys rushing assembly on the TV specials, eh? :)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Think Lotus plans are for around 2200 per year, in other words 12 months. The 85 is more likely for U.S. and Euro. Then again being #11 at my dealer makes it's easier for me to say that. :p

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The 2400 a year was for 12 months. Otherwise that number would have changed as they became delayed.

Still, that is an average of 200 cars a month or 47 cars a week. If we assume that they had 88 cars a week ago and have been in production a certain amount of time like 4 weeks, we are looking at 22 cars a week. Since they only shipped 18 cars each week, that may not be far off. Let's assume they started at 20 cars per week and intend on ramping up.

Each week of the initial production would then mean then that they are 27 cars below their average. If the ramping up was a totally linear progression, then the last week of a 52 cycle should increase the cars by 27 above the average of 64 cars in a week.

But since the progression is not linear, it might make sense that a large amount of the annual production will happen in the second half of the 12 months. They could plan on getting to 85 cars per week in 52 weeks.

Month 1 20 CPW (Cars Per Week)
Month 2 24 CPW
Month 3 28 CPW
Month 4 32 CPW
Month 5 38 CPW
Month 6 42 CPW
Month 7 46 CPW
Month 8 54 CPW
Month 9 62 CPW
Month 10 74 CPW
Month 11 80 CPW
Month 12 85 CPW