The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 813 Posts

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always see lots of disinformation on who's doing what ,and also what i'm doing, its nearly always wrong, probably because we don't really talk about it much, though I did give a presentation at Sector111's open day showing people my tuning software.

I was the first person to modify the ecu that i know of, and am also doing more changes than anyone else i'm aware of, i toured a lot of the US and have talked to a lot of the tuners from all over the world out there at SEMA and other shows, so far i've met no one that can do all these things. Unfortunately as a lot of you know it was done initially with brett and that didn't go so well so i took some time away from it

The 2006 ECU T4E is also now available for remapping, which basically means i can retune any of the S2 cars, elise, exige, exige s, 240, 255 , circuit, you name it.

Added the 2006 T4E 1ZZ-FE ECU
2007,2008 too.
Esprit V8 Turbo added

So i figured I'd make a list of things that i can currently offer, and have been doing for a while now.

1. CAM switch, either one of the off shelf ones, or whatever you want it to be.

2. Fuel/ignition base maps retuning either for just squeezing more out of the stock car, or for aftermarket parts.

3. VVTL-i remapping, high and low (oops no such thing as VTTL)

4. Adaptive CAM switch by gear or load.

5. Fan temperature change, lower or higher, or change the strategy.

6. In car tuning (locally), either on the dyno or on the street, a laptop is plugged into the OBD2 port and the tuner can alter over 40 different maps.

7. Advanced diagnostics, able to read out ( 300+ for the 05 , 400+ for the 2006 )diagnostics in almost real time, 100's of times faster than OBD II readers can do.

8. Map out any diagnostic by any other diagnostic, and data log them, generating a 2d or 3d graph of the results, say MAF vs RPM vs Spark Output, or intercooler temperature on the S for instance, again at much higher speeds than the OBD2 could ever hope to achieve.

9. Add additional sensors to the ECU for data logging (there are some spare ports)

10. Load any map from any T4 or T4e elise/exige car to any other car and perform the conversion automatically from one to the other, either by generating a new firmware, or uploading it live into the ECU. Load custom maps, individually or as a batch, transfer from one ECU to another and mix with custom maps.

11. Remote diagnostics, plug your car into the internet, and the tuner can look at it, or even tune it.

12. Learn reset

13. Learn disable.

14. Learn Remap to target AFR ratios vs altering the base maps which allows the car to compensate correctly, changing the base maps alone does not.

15. CEL/MIL code elimination for cat deletes etc.

16. Advanced data logging that doesn't require anything external in the car, you do the sessions and download it from the ECU in the pits.

17. Speedo Correction factor

18. Dual maps, switchable street/track maps either by an in cockpit switch or a plugin to the OBD2 Port.

19. Enable or disable the dealers ability to reflash the ECU.

20. Recover completely blanked ECU's without removing the chip, even the dealer can't do that.

21. Extended shift light that shows when to shift vs its too late.

21a. Custom knock sensor thats tuned for the car.

21b. Showing knock on the cluster.

21c. Showing AF on the cluster, (using the stock O2 narrow band)

22. Altering the knock sensor detection settings for modified engines.

Thats what i can think of so far, i'll add others as i think of them,, and there many many others, but we have other things in the works, including tire pressure monitoring without any additional hardware, and some cool electronic shocks that i hope to be involved in, customisation of the lotus cluster, adding in other OEM's cluster systems, also theres the custom Lotus DashDAQ that some of you have seen, we showed it off at SEMA last year..

DrewTech rolls out Linux-powered DashDAQ data acquisition system - Engadget

DashDAQ Data Aquisition System - HorsePowerSports

There is a custom lotus version that will include a lot of the extra diagnostics and bypass the very slow OBD II.

Everything i've talked about in the numbered list is already done and in running cars, the other points are in development.

I can even do most of these temporarily in your car, if you see me at the track, and wanted to try a lower cam switch, all i have to do is connect my laptop and alter it,. you can then try different cam switch points at the track on the street, and when you turn the key off, it'll go back to stock. I might even be persuaded to sit in with you and alter it as we drive around

I'd say i've mapped out around 80% of the 2005 T4, when most tuners talk about mapping out the ECU they generally only mean the fuel tables, checksums etc, and they'll call that 100% , basically whatever they need to do whatever it is they want to do which is usually fuel and ignition, its unlikely they'd go for things like acceleration enrich/enleanment settings, eventually those things get added to the list as people discover them, but for the most part they go straight for the maps. So when i say 80% i mean of the whole thing, software, hardware , everything, how the system does the OBD2, voltage compensation for the injectors, temperature compensation etc. A lot of stuff that doesn't matter for most people, but it does matter when you come across something that doesn't make sense or can't be mapped out by the base tables.

Obviously everytime a new ECU tuner appears they want to dis the previous guys work and say there solution is better, business is business, but i'd be willing to bet money no one else is offering anywhere close to the number of modifications I am, and i've got stuff in over a 100 elises/exiges over the last two years or so.

But so far from what i see, most of the other guys are offering the same cam switch, tune by mail and socket, remove, monitor via obd ii or wideband, remove ecu, resolder chip and reflash, reinstall and repeat, or they are just selling off the shelf fuel/ignition tunes.

Of course if they're offering more than that, i'm happily corrected.

I also be at LOG, hiding from Lotus, and you can often find me at sector or tripoint, I usually have all my gear with me, and can give demonstrations, clear your learn, let you feel the CAM switch change or talk about specific tuning aspects etc.

I will visit you or you can visit our local dyno shop and get your car custom tuned, price depends on time and distance.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Super cool Charlie, when are you back in town? Tripoint gets my car on Wed for the intercooler... ;)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in SF 23rd, oregon day after, then back.

Mark should call me up and arrange some time so i can lay in that base tune, maybe i can fly in to los angeles the day before instead.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything thats simple and over the counter is via Sector111, anything thats tricky or custom is still via Sector but you'll end up working with me directly on it. I appreciate when people don't ask me to bypass sector, because i don't like to tell people no.

Simply because a lot of the stuff is confusing has implications, and sometimes too many choices just aren't good, I also have to make sure that people understand the in's and outs, plus and minuses of some of the upgrades.

Generally most people are after custom tuning, that is basically either at a location in california, or vegas, or i fly out to your tuners place , teach them how to use the software and they tune your car, then i load it into your ecu, then take everything else home with me, we don't send out the software to anyone (Even if you ask nice), I am looking at a custom ECU that would basically only work with my software and not the Lotus one, that way you'd buy a replacement ECU ( as the ecu is physically modified) with the software and tune to your hearts content, but that one might be a ways off, i'd like to do it because there is a couple of people that really need it, however its a lot of work and people can't pay for what its really worth, and its difficult to amortise over sales because its a very small part of the market, its 30/70 rule in action

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Charlie, will you have an off-the-shelf tune for the Tri-Point supercharger available through Sector 111? I'd rather use your tune in the Lotus ECU instead of using an add-on, but I live in Virginia, a long ways from Las Vegas.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
So, when and how can I order something for my 06? I'm interested in fan temp change, lower cam change, and any extra HP you can squeeze out :)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 06 is sitting on my desk, all the tuning aspects are figured out, so i can tune it, do most of the things listed above ( anything that adds additional features to the ecu isn't yet transferred, so adaptive cam switch , additional sensors, etc , but all the tuning aspects are ready)

i ordered some parts that i needed from digikey, they were supposed to arrive friday, but didn't so i'm hoping monday, i delayed everything by staying in california for a week and going to the track, and of course the subsequent repairs., so the short answer is any day now.

the 06s can be tuned and loaded temporarily, just the long term aspect is what i'm waiting on, but that shouldn't be muich of an issue in itself the hard part is figuring out the maps.

i have a different strategy for the 06 cars that are getting SC'd though.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
james4513 said:
Very interested in your results. Are you doing the under-the-hood version?

James
not to hijack this thread...but without Charlie I wouldn't be doing any of this lol

I want the exact setup our resident fave maniac Frank has. So it will sit on the engine and I'll just cut a hole in the lid, maybe do something cool like lexan, mesh, who knows. Up for discussion are several items:
  • relocating oil coolers to one larger one in back
  • using the stock oil coolers in line with front heat exchanger for more cooling
  • using the stock oil coolers *only in place of front heat exchanger (this might work too and save lots of work)
My goals are to minimize the amount of air moving through the system and as such I want the core to sit on top of the engine near the manifold so that it doesn't have to travel far, throttle response is important to me. I'm going for a safe tune that has more power than I have now, but really I'm just after some more torque. The only reason now is the time to do it is because Charlie seems ready ;) Really though, the car is perfect as it is...and has survived almost 15,000 miles hiccup free (majority of those to/on/from track)- anyone even remotely thinking about FI should drive a Tripoint if you can. I'll end up around 10lbs of boost I think, anymore I think I'd have to go down the road Frank did and build up the engine. And did I read this list right?! Showing knock on the stock cluster? Speedo correction? super cool

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
charliex said:

Is wideband also an option? Both in display and even letting the ECU use the wideband voltage for tuning?

I tell you what, if you could use a wideband and keep the ECU in closed loop at WOT, but make it set target A/F based on throttle position that would be awsome. Imagine if it had a certain base map at partial throttle and it still has the normal 14.7:1 A/F target, but then when you get to say 80% throttle it switches to a different base map and shoots for a 13.0:1 across the board on NA, or maybe 12.5:1 with supercharger/turbo. It could still maintain the long term fuel trims, so that when you add another aftermarket part it corrects at WOT to maintain that 13.0:1 and adapts the fuel maps. The car would basically self tune within reason to whatever to add. And then with the A/F ratio displaying on the guage you'll have instant feedback that everything is working OK.

Seriously dude, you would be a god :)

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The wideband is a possibility, even though the voltage range of a wideband is higher than a narrow band, it could be configured to work.

It'd be a pretty indepth task though, and its certainly something thats been talked about, unfortunately it falls into the .5/99.5 not 30/70 rule.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Okay here's what I need:

1) Everything mentioned.
2) Everything possible.
3) All hardware.
4) All software.
5) Extensive training.
6) Charliex living next door to me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
charliex said:
I always see lots of disinformation on who's doing what ,and also what i'm doing, its nearly always wrong, probably because we don't really talk about it much, though I did give a presentation at Sector111's open day showing people my tuning software.

I was the first person to modify the ecu that i know of, and am also doing more changes than anyone else i'm aware of, i toured a lot of the US and have talked to a lot of the tuners from all over the world out there at SEMA and other shows, so far i've met no one that can do all these things. Unfortunately as a lot of you know it was done initially with brett and that didn't go so well so i took some t ime away from it

So i figured I'd make a list of things that i can currently offer, and have been doing for a while now.

1. CAM switch, either one of the off shelf ones, or whatever you want it to be.

2. Fuel/ignition base maps retuning either for just squeezing more out of the stock car, or for aftermarket parts.

3. VTTL-i remapping, high and low

4. Adaptive CAM switch by gear or load.

5. Fan temperature change, lower or higher, or change the strategy.

6. In car tuning (locally), either on the dyno or on the street, a laptop is plugged into the OBD2 port and the tuner can alter over 40 different maps.

7. Advanced diagnostics, able to read out ( 300+ for the 05 , 400+ for the 2006 )diagnostics in almost real time, 100's of times faster than OBD II readers can do.

8. Map out any diagnostic by any other diagnostic, and data log them, generating a 2d or 3d graph of the results, say MAF vs RPM vs Spark Output, or intercooler temperature on the S for instance, again at much higher speeds than the OBD2 could ever hope to achieve.

9. Add additional sensors to the ECU for data logging (there are some spare ports)

10. Load any map from any T4 or T4e elise/exige car to any other car and perform the conversion automatically from one to the other, either by generating a new firmware, or uploading it live into the ECU. Load custom maps, individually or as a batch, transfer from one ECU to another and mix with custom maps.

11. Remote diagnostics, plug your car into the internet, and the tuner can look at it, or even tune it.

12. Learn reset

13. Learn disable.

14. Learn Remap to target AFR ratios vs altering the base maps which allows the car to compensate correctly, changing the base maps alone does not.

15. CEL/MIL code elimination for cat deletes etc.

16. Advanced data logging that doesn't require anything external in the car, you do the sessions and download it from the ECU in the pits.

17. Speedo Correction factor

18. Dual maps, switchable street/track maps either by an in cockpit switch or a plugin to the OBD2 Port.

19. Enable or disable the dealers ability to reflash the ECU.

20. Recover completely blanked ECU's without removing the chip, even the dealer can't do that.

21. Extended shift light that shows when to shift vs its too late.

21a. Custom knock sensor thats tuned for the car.

21b. Showing knock on the cluster.

22. Altering the knock sensor detection settings for modified engines.

Thats what i can think of so far, i'll add others as i think of them,, and there many many others, but we have other things in the works, including tire pressure monitoring without any additional hardware, and some cool electronic shocks that i hope to be involved in, customisation of the lotus cluster, adding in other OEM's cluster systems, also theres the custom Lotus DashDAQ that some of you have seen, we showed it off at SEMA last year..

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/07/drewtech-rolls-out-linux-powered-dashdaq-data-acquisition-system/

http://horsepowersports.com/dashdaq-data-aquisition-system/

There is a custom lotus version that will include a lot of the extra diagnostics and bypass the very slow OBD II.

Everything i've talked about in the numbered list is already done and in running cars, the other points are in development.

I can even do most of these temporarily in your car, if you see me at the track, and wanted to try a lower cam switch, all i have to do is connect my laptop and alter it,. you can then try different cam switch points at the track on the street, and when you turn the key off, it'll go back to stock. I might even be persuaded to sit in with you and alter it as we drive around

I'd say i've mapped out around 80% of the 2005 T4, when most tuners talk about mapping out the ECU they generally only mean the fuel tables, checksums etc, and they'll call that 100% , basically whatever they need to do whatever it is they want to do which is usually fuel and ignition, its unlikely they'd go for things like acceleration enrich/enleanment settings, eventually those things get added to the list as people discover them, but for the most part they go straight for the maps. So when i say 80% i mean of the whole thing, software, hardware , everything, how the system does the OBD2, voltage compensation for the injectors, temperature compensation etc. A lot of stuff that doesn't matter for most people, but it does matter when you come across something that doesn't make sense or can't be mapped out by the base tables.

Obviously everytime a new ECU tuner appears they want to dis the previous guys work and say there solution is better, business is business, but i'd be willing to bet money no one else is offering anywhere close to the number of modifications I am, and i've got stuff in over a 100 elises/exiges over the last two years or so.

But so far from what i see, most of the other guys are offering the same cam switch, tune by mail and socket, remove, monitor via obd ii or wideband, remove ecu, resolder chip and reflash, reinstall and repeat, or they are just selling off the shelf fuel/ignition tunes.

Of course if they're offering more than that, i'm happily corrected.

I also be at LOG, hiding from Lotus, and you can often find me at sector or tripoint, I usually have all my gear with me, and can give demostrations, clear your learn, let you feel the CAM switch change or talk about specific tuning aspects etc.
anything for exige s yet?

1 - 20 of 813 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.