The Lotus Cars Community banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 813 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Charlie can answer more definitively, and I have asked he and Sector 111, but it appears that his ECU tuning is to remain proprietary and mostly mail-order (from Sector 111), probably to only support the Sector 111 power adders on a "kit" basis. If you are DIY, you might be able to get Charlie to come to you with his gear, tune and then leave, but if you are true DIY and want to tune yourself, I think you remain on your own. At least that is my understanding and the way I am headed for now.

·
Registered
154 Posts
fzust said:
Just to get way out there, did anyone suggest having the trip reporting V1 signals? I've seen this for BMW's and it is bitchin. This is probably priority #632 on the list, but.....

Ohh yeah good idea. Have it report on the cluster have the red shift light blink and maybe throw in a beep as well.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Charlie,

Which one of your products would deal with an '06, forced induction and idling/DBW issues. Or should say can your tuning address any of those issues while running in parallel with EFI unit?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
mark.r said:
Charlie,

Which one of your products would deal with an '06, forced induction and idling/DBW issues. Or should say can your tuning address any of those issues while running in parallel with EFI unit?
Why do you have to do this? I thought ForcedFed had this all worked out.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Bruce said:
Why do you have to do this? I thought ForcedFed had this all worked out.
Lotus ECU is still controlling the DBW, not the EFI unit.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
mark.r said:
Lotus ECU is still controlling the DBW, not the EFI unit.
So you pay ForcedFed all that money for the kit and then you have to go out on your own and find and pay for additional fixes?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Bruce said:
So you pay ForcedFed all that money for the kit and then you have to go out on your own and find and pay for additional fixes?
No not at all. I am just looking at other was to "tune" or manage the DBW. Currently you are stuck with it as it comes from Lotus. FF has successfully tuned '06 cars.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
mark.r said:
No not at all. I am just looking at other was to "tune" or manage the DBW. Currently you are stuck with it as it comes from Lotus. FF has successfully tuned '06 cars.
What are the idling/DBW issues?

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
>After your reflash will the ECU still be readable for the purpose of passing state emissions testing? I can't see why not, but figured it's best to ask.

it won't change any of the OBDII tests.

>Just to get way out there, did anyone suggest having the trip reporting V1 signals? I've seen this for BMW's and it is bitchin. This is probably priority #632 on the list, but.....

yeah its been asked, i'd have to interface to the v1 somehow, why not just go the whole hog and limit the injectors when the radar kicks in ;)

>For what it's worth, there is a gentleman out there who has been putting Honda motors in Lotus cars for many years. He brought his supercharged K20-powered Elise to the South Bay BBQ. It was beautiful work. His name escapes me at the moment, but if you're serious, someone here could probably put you in touch with him.

yeah thats joe mccarthy, you might want to read up on him first before getting anything done.

>Charlie can answer more definitively, and I have asked he and Sector 111, but it appears that his ECU tuning is to remain proprietary and mostly mail-order (from Sector 111), probably to only support the Sector 111 power adders on a "kit" basis. If you are DIY, you might be able to get Charlie to come to you with his gear, tune and then leave, but if you are true DIY and want to tune yourself, I think you remain on your own. At least that is my understanding and the way I am headed for now.

Options are currently either off the shelf, me visit you+tuner, you visit me+tuner. If you wanted to be tweaking a lot, a standalone is probably your best route.

>Which one of your products would deal with an '06, forced induction and idling/DBW issues. Or should say can your tuning address any of those issues while running in parallel with EFI unit?

i'd have to talk to john or casey at ff, or chris at drs and find out what their strategy is and see if it could be helped any.

did i miss any?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Bruce said:
What are the idling/DBW issues?
We are dealing with very "loppy" "low" idle. It idle normally for a minute or so but eventually falls into a pattern the sooner or later will stall the car. As far as DBW, we have slight hesitation under partial throttle almost like the car is taking a breath before it spools.

We have been working with FF and DRS to sort these issues out. Be clear these are issues that existed with every '06 FF has done and it took Casey time to tune them out. Much of my issue is that I am (as far as we know) one of the first guys to have and '06 car done by an outside shop, outide of FF.

I should have been clearer in my original post. My reason for asking the question was to see if since the Lotus ECU is still controlling the DBW or should I say TBW, is possible that the re-learn feature could be having an effect on my some my issues.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
>Which one of your products would deal with an '06, forced induction and idling/DBW issues. Or should say can your tuning address any of those issues while running in parallel with EFI unit?

i'd have to talk to john or casey at ff, or chris at drs and find out what their strategy is and see if it could be helped any.
Charlie, I would be very interested in hearing any feedback from FF or DRS on what results your programming and the FF kit w/ EFI ECU would be. VERY.:up:

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
sounds like a problem with the target idle setting, the car is going to try to find an idle of 1100 rpm, if its swinging +/-200 RPM then its way off and makes big adjustments and throws a code, this can also cause a stall, from memory it wants to get within +/- 50 RPM of the target idle to be happy. sometimes when we're tuning we just raise the target idle which is easier for it to find, or if memory serves a small change to the A/F ratio also fixed some idling issues we'd seen on other cars.

there is a new reflash for the cars that supposedly fixes idling issues, but i'd imagine it just makes it better, i had it installed in my car a few days ago but i haven't picked it up yet.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
charliex said:
sounds like a problem with the target idle setting, the car is going to try to find an idle of 1100 rpm, if its swinging +/-200 RPM then its way off and makes big adjustments and throws a code, this can also cause a stall, from memory it wants to get within +/- 50 RPM of the target idle to be happy. sometimes when we're tuning we just raise the target idle which is easier for it to find, or if memory serves a small change to the A/F ratio also fixed some idling issues we'd seen on other cars.

there is a new reflash for the cars that supposedly fixes idling issues, but i'd imagine it just makes it better, i had it installed in my car a few days ago but i haven't picked it up yet.
Thanks, I will pass that info along. They have been constant contact with DRS and FF as well so fingers cross we get it sorted soon.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I *might* be at drs tomorrow.

from a guess though i'd say if the lotus ecu is still controlling the DBW and the EFI USA ecu is controlling the mixture its going to be pretty difficult to make them line up, it might work if you can get the EFI USA to hold at 1100 RPM dead on, the lotus ecu might stop altering the mix and it'll settle, but i'd have to see more of what they're actually upto to make a real diagnosis on who's controlling what.

G

·
Any change you can provide an executable application to upload maps you provide via the OBD-II port using, say, the AutoEnginuity USB to OBD-II connector cable?

Would be neat if you could provide a self-installing program to reprogram via a cable.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I imagine charliex COULD provide a lot of things. He seems to be THE lotus ecu expert. It appears, however, that he has signed a deal with Sector111 that gives them at least some control over what he can go do on his own, or at least he has made some decisions on what he will offer that make me THINK he has signed such a deal.

xtn

·
Registered
352 Posts
charliex said:
> did i miss any?
maagjr said:
>
Well Some one has to ask.
I have in the works a turbo kit for my car, and the question comes to mind could you tune the stock ECU to run with 550 injectors and handle the Turbo fuel and ignition timing?

I ask because you probably have your car set up this way
Could you do this?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
charliex said:
I *might* be at drs tomorrow.

from a guess though i'd say if the lotus ecu is still controlling the DBW and the EFI USA ecu is controlling the mixture its going to be pretty difficult to make them line up, it might work if you can get the EFI USA to hold at 1100 RPM dead on, the lotus ecu might stop altering the mix and it'll settle, but i'd have to see more of what they're actually upto to make a real diagnosis on who's controlling what.
Thanks Charlie. If you make it over there, I look forward to hearing what you guys discuss. If you ask Chris at DRS about the Exige in VA that he is assisting with he can give you a detailed explanation of the issues that we are currently working with. Most likely FF is going to assist me with correcting those issues for the time being as I need my car ASAP. However it would be interesting to see if you, DRS, and FF could come up with a program to eliminate these issues for future '06 cars so that the tuning is a bit easier such as th '05 cars.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
>Any change you can provide an executable application to upload maps you provide via the OBD-II port using, say, the AutoEnginuity USB to OBD-II connector cable?

I could, but can't/won't there are specific reasons mainly to do with the encryption on there, it sucks but thats the government for you, some people disagree with me , mainly saying well X,Y,Z does it, but unfortunately they just either go out of business and resetup shop as a new deal, have deals with the oem's or are in other countries, i've got my regular software business that i'd like to keep ! :)

>turbo 550

I don't see why not, the ronin is on 550s for an SC'd car.

>sector deal

everything lotus related goes through them exculsively for the next 9 or 10 months, i just talk about all the other stuff.

i do look at all the ideas and do actively figure out if i can get what you guys want though.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
available?

You listed the programming changes that you had completed at the beginning of this thread. Which of those are available at this time?

41 - 60 of 813 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.