The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
If the clips are ok then it is body flex which causes the front to meet with a washer below on the crash structure. Cure is to dremel down the top of the metal washer under the clip.

The clip is released by inserting a thin screwdriver through the grille.

You can just see the offending washer it at the base of the opening in this pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,899 Posts
Mine happened on the drivers side, but the bottom clip broke off so I'm waiting for a new one (which of course is on back order for 6 months). Anyone have a used one for sale? 2007 Exige.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Get a small bungee cord. Drill a small hole in the broken clip to connect bungee. Find a place/pipe on the car for the other side. Problem done.

Replacing the unit is the correct fix, but the problem will just happen again.

·
He's on fire!
3,453 Posts
you're wasting your money if you're buying a new one, it will just happen again. I used a spring instead of a bungee cord, but same idea. Recommend: search button

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
The front clips on the turn signals are notorious for breaking and popping out over time as they lose strength and start to fail. I filled in the v of the clips with urethane after i experienced this. It helps support the clip to keep it from breaking. So far mine have lasted 5 years now without popping out or the clips breaking again. the urethane gives it just enough give to remove it if necessary while supporting the plastic as it ages. you could probably use epoxy or something more rigid as well and achieve the same.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts
Yes about search.

I hid some silicone seal under the gasket. Has worked for yrs.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I spoke with a gentleman that serviced Loti about this when I switched to chrome turn signal bulbs, and he stated that people didn't "push them down hard enough". I drive mine daily, and have never had the housing unseat. Here is what I realized:

After removal, if you push the housing in it will feel stable, but if you keep pushing, you will hear a loud, audible "CLICK". I found that without this loud click, if I puts one pressure with a screwdriver through the hole used to detach these, then a bit of force would unseat them. However, after the "click" they were in there very securely. I have not had a problem with them at all after making sure they were secure.

Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get a small bungee cord. Drill a small hole in the broken clip to connect bungee. Find a place/pipe on the car for the other side. Problem done.

Replacing the unit is the correct fix, but the problem will just happen again.
Yeah that's what I was planning on doing, but unfortunately I lost the rubber seal that goes around it too. Gonna have to order a new one maybe from the dealer.

·
Registered
229 Posts
turn signals

When I first got my Elise, I had this happen many times. The dealer replaced each time for free until it became too expensive. The dealer then had one of its mechanics file the fiberglass opening down. That solved the problem.

Pleasant motoring in your Elise.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Nope, not on the Elise with heavy AX or on the Exige on the track.

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
Yes about search.

I hid some silicone seal under the gasket. Has worked for yrs.
Same here...little RTV silicone solved the issue, never happened again.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Just used the bungie cord fix for broken turn signal tab. Free, simple, and it works! Had to wrap my bungie around the support twice to get it the right size.
:up: That's what I did when mine finally popped out earlier this year.
This also makes bulb changes so much easier now if I ever have the bulb go out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts