The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached. - This is the 2nd time I have now sent in a sample of my used oil to the same lab (for continuity purposes) for anylization and a report. Just thought I'd attach it and see if there are any comments.

The 1st (baseline) report was done right at the first 1k miles. That test showed "abnormal" for high silicone content, but commented upon as to be expected from new engine (assembly materials bi-product) break-in.

This next (2nd report) is being done at 10k miles, and is the 3rd oil change since that initial report (changes being done within 3k miles apiece), the cars 4th change now, over all. The first report done 3 changes prior showed ZERO lead and nickel, where this one now shows trace amounts of each, but apparently, still within "acceptable" / normal limits. Lead and nickel early indicates wear of bearings and valves - no? :shrug:

I guess I am just paranoid about the cam-lobe & valve wear issue that seems somewhat prevalent, in our marquis. I have absolutely no evidence or indication to give me concern however, in any other way.

What do you guys think of my zinc level in the latest sampling? I know that zinc is one of those additives that for sake of catalytic converters, is being cut back on. Are my #'s high enough? Within good range? I'm just not sure what a "good" # is to have there. Anyway - again, just posted to get some hopefully good insight, and commentary, as I personally know next to NOTHING about all this stuff, and am doing it anyway, although - so far, it is all pretty much greek to me! - Any translators out there? ;)

TIA!
Cheers,
-Grant

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I guess I am just paranoid about the cam-lobe & valve wear issue that seems somewhat prevalent, in our marquis. I have absolutely no evidence or indication to give me concern however, in any other way.
Wear from the cam lobes would show up as an increase in iron and yours appears to be decreasing as one would expect now that the cams, followers, piston rings, gears, etc. are worn in. I wouldn't be worried about your intake cam, and if you still are, the best thing would be to remove the cam cover and take a look. It is very easy to do.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's comforting reassurance! :coolnana:

Supposedly anyway - by doing these tests and reports, indications of any potential issues are able to be seen here, in these results, actually BEFORE they would be seen visually on the components themselves. That's the reason I'm doing this anyway, and keeping a running record of the results. So that I don't have to constantly be pulling parts etc., to visually inspect repeatedly, all the internal bits.

Single-# PPM (parts per million) is a pretty small #, and rapid increases in wear indicative metals I suppose would be clear. Could significant wear occur without it reflecting somewhere in these #'s? Maybe be missed during one of the intervals the sampling is not done, and then not re-appear for some time, yet still (significant wear) have occured and be there? Higher residuals being trapped in the oil coolers and lines though would probably still show maybe though?

So, how often (change interval-wise) should I continue to do this, as an on-going best practice? Good idea to do every oil change? Every other? Or is that over-kill, and some other or even just random interval an okay practice to maintain?

I originally settled on buying THIS car, in part because of my perception that (and impression of) the Toyota motor in particular, and Toyota reputation of them otherwise to be "bullet-proof". Then, only to read in here later of all the cam-lobe in particular, seemingly pervasive "issues". ...Made me: :panic: ;)

Anyhow - :cool:

And thanks for indulging my paranoia! It's only paranoia, if it's unfounded! - So yes indeed, glad to feel I am only being then apparently paranoid (hopefully) in this case! :p

Cheers,
-Grant

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
I started doing the oil analysis too, but regarding the cam issue, the best thing as "Tesprit" said was removing the valve cover and visually inspecting.
Michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts